Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:04 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times

Advertisements

Did I hear Jeans and T-shirt??

That is more of the hillbilly/prole look. Sorry, fellas.

Last weekend I perfected the combined Fred Perry/Lacoste look while going to a casual lunch all by myself. That's how much serious I am about what I wear.

And throw my fossil leather shoulder bag on top. And my metal man's bracelet from the East.

Well grown hair, gelled to perfection. Aviator glasses. And it's not just the clothes and my shoes, it's the ATTITUDE. I sat at the counter and picked up Eurozone crisis talk with the gentleman seated next to me at the counter. Throw in some big words, and witness the awe in the eyes. Now that's class
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 12:23 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
If it was up to me (I know some are thinking thank god it isn't) more people who can't dress to save their life would give some sort of power of attorney to those who can...lol.
I totally agree with you there! Like I said, I wouldn't put fashion on the top of my list of interests. Sure, it's on there somewhere, otherwise I wouldn't find myself at White House Black Market every week and at other various clothing stores multiple times a week. (There really isn't much else to do on your lunch break by my office except to shop... eating can be done while I'm working. ) That said, there is no excuse for what some people leave the house in.

Every morning when I make the 4 block walk from my train station to my office, I cringe at the suburban trolls coming downtown off the metra. All those unflattering tapered-leg pants, over-sized and over-patterned shirts, and those women who are wearing pants 4 sizes too small. Gross. Oh and some of the shoes I see... yikes. Not to imply that these bad fashion choices are limited to the suburbs, they definitely aren't. I would love to just start doing ambush makeovers... I don't know how these people's families let them leave the house in the morning sometimes. When I was younger and living at my parents' house with my sisters, someone definitely would have said something if I was wearing clothes that totally didn't fit and made me look ridiculous.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:58 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

Bah. I have no problem with jeans and tee's.

Quote:
Last weekend I perfected the combined Fred Perry/Lacoste look while going to a casual lunch all by myself. That's how much serious I am about what I wear.
While I <3 gators, not my style.

Quote:
And throw my fossil leather shoulder bag on top.
I love my Fossil bag. Probably the only "name brand" purse I own.

Quote:
And my metal man's bracelet from the East.
Metal Man?

Quote:
Well grown hair, gelled to perfection. Aviator glasses. And it's not just the clothes and my shoes, it's the ATTITUDE. I sat at the counter and picked up Eurozone crisis talk with the gentleman seated next to me at the counter. Throw in some big words, and witness the awe in the eyes. Now that's class
Meh. To you, it's class. To me, sounds boring and plain.

Now, add in some self-customized clothing pieces and discussion of the best way to build a 6.5 foot sword from scratch - maintaining durability while balancing the weight... then you'd be witnessing some "awe in the eyes".

Old 09-09-2011, 01:22 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,602,631 times
Going back to your original post, "is it hard to date someone who has no fashion sense?" I think it's probably more difficult for a fashion-interested man to date a fashion-clueless woman than vice-versa, simply because our society gives a lot more leeway to a woman to change up her man's look than vice-versa.

I'm an enthusiastic fashion hobbyist -- I keep an eye on changing silhouettes, know what works on my body type, edit my wardrobe from year to year to winnow out the obviously-not-working-anymore pieces -- and I love a good label if I can get it at a great price & only if it looks good on me, but I have a clothing budget and I stick to it.

I dated a man for several years who was not a slob -- always neat, clean, unfrayed & tucked -- but whose fashion sense didn't jive with mine. I didn't try to change him, but there were times I wished he had a penchant for a good white shirt, rep tie with a navy blazer, gray flannels & dress shoes instead of the burgundy shirts & black ties with the corduroy jacket and Ecco earth shoes that he favored.

We didn't last, but it had nothing to do with our fashion dichotomy.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:41 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,151,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

And throw my fossil leather shoulder bag on top. And my metal man's bracelet from the East.

yeah, I already sort of responded to someone saying that. I don't mean just jeans and a t-shirt. But I'll tell you what. To me, a cool vintage pair of Levi's (faded nicely) and a loose black t shirt looks better than half the crap I see people wearing. Add some sunglassess. Also style isn't just clothes, it's hair. My hair is always tip top. My hair is sort of thick. Thick haired people have it the worst at first, but most of us retain it into our forties and fifties. Wheras the people with great hair younger go bald. But I wear gel and do it up nicely. Sides always very trimmed.

But I think you missed my reply thread about the jeans and t-shirt. What I mean to say and why I used that as an example is that true fashionista's understand simplicity is actually more. I would never wear a shirt with tons of colors-tacky. Same with shoes. No hightops. Being from the east coast I wear alot of one colored sweaters. Usually navy blue, black or white. Sometimes causal pants but not much of a pant person. Buttoned up shirts I rarely wear. Too nerdy. But their are some that are made well and look good. I have a few that do. I like alot of v-neck shirts (simple white or even v-neck sweaters. Simple, classic. Khaki pants (the good colored ones. Not the ones that lean towards yellow-yuck. It's hard today to find the good colored ones. Gap years ago had great colors for their khakis.

Don't get me wrong, I have a side of me that likes to dress sporty as well. But I wear expensive sweats. No tight bottoms. I don't wear low cut shoes with sweatpants. More like an all black pair of NIke shox, etc. Never hightops. I love hoodies. I am from the east even though I've lived all over. I wear alot of grey, black, navy blue and black hoodies. I follow sports and I'm a michigan fan, but its hard to find good michigan clothes, because of their colors. I own a michigan hoodie that is all grey with just navy blue lettering of michigan. Do you know how hard that was to find? Took me three years to find one without that ugly maze color. Even hoodies can be hideous. Or I'll wear (have lots of J-crew hoodies) with zippers and a nice white t-shirt underneath, etc.

YOu get the point. Jeans. I'm old school so my favorites are still faded nicely Levi's. The Levi's in the last decade don't cut it. Their awful. For the type I wear, I usually have to go to the city for. And I like a little bagginess in my levis. Not over the top, but no tight wearing jeans for me. There are a lot of places in the village with vintage levi's. I like turtle neck type sweaters. Once again my colors are navy blue, black is my personal favorite and white. I wear some designer jeans. I like True religion, but not the trashy ones you find at T.J. max. The good ones. I like G-star, Lucky Brand, etc. I find most of these things in NYC. Don't get me wrong patters are ok. Many womens clothing lately look nice with some type of patterns. Sneakers are a tough one. I can look for a year til I find a style that suits me. If I do, I'll sometimes buy two pairs because in the last two or three years sneakers suck. I find some womens sneakers that look much better than the men. You ladies have it better in the sneaker department. For when I wear sweats (loose at the bottom never tight) I'll wear like an all black pair of Shox or some classic looking Nike Max. Different sneakers go with different things. Same with shoes. With jeans I'll usually wear either little sneakers, penny loafers or usually boots. I never wear the shoes I wear with sweats with jeans. That's when the sneakers have to be little. I'm big into v-neck t-shirts (white-black-mild yellow) always solid. Women seem to have better clothes with stripes. I hate most buttoned down long sleave shirts unless it is a flannel or a really good brand. If I have to go flanel, I'll usually go Ralph Lauren. I like their flannels, but not much else. Other brands just look geeky. But that's just my opinion. I think I've painted a better look of what I wear. It varies. I played sports all my life, so I do have alot of sweats and hoodies. However-that's more for working out or casually hanging around the house. Like I said in my first post. Women who I think dress nicely, examples would be Rachel Uchitel (I'm just judging her by her style) Everytime I see her she dressess great. Jennifer Anniston, Kate Moss sometimes (once in a while she'll overdo it), Lauren Conrad (kind of embarrissed I know the name) but she seems to understand style. Vanessa Hudgens is another one. I'm naming people who dress casually alot and look good without overdoing it.

So if you agree with me that these women dress nice, than you'll more understand my sense of style not that you care. Guys (and I'll use celebrities because that is who anyone would know) who dress cool to me are Ryan Phillipe, Stephen Dorff, Skeet Ulrich, Brad Pitt sometimes, and there are others in magazines that I don't know their names. But none of these celebrities that I've named dress over the top. But they dress cool and stylish. Maybe that will paint a better picture of how I dress. And I've named celebrities who are more in my age bracket. I can't think of too many more. But I've rambled on long enough. Can anyone who thinks that they have style think that the guys or girls I've mentioned dress geeky or homely? I personally don't think so, but maybe some of you do. But style is in the eye of the beholder, just as beauty is...

This is all silly anyway, but it is all just our opinions. But I take pride in how I look and I wish more people would. Do you ever see a four hundred pound man or women and think, how did you let yourself get that big. Grown black beers rarely get that big. I don't know. Like I said you can call me a snob, but for some people, take a little pride in yourself....And I'm not talking office attire. Just casual attire. Office is a whole other ballgame.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 09-09-2011 at 02:01 PM..

Old 09-09-2011, 01:55 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Fashion?

What is this "fashion"?

To me, fashion on a day-to-day basis is a waste of time. When I'm cleaning, the last thing I'm worried about is "Does my shirt match my underwear?" or some ridiculously stupid thing like that.

I do dress up for special occasions, but that generally consists of some form of button down shirt and a pair of slacks with some dress shoes.

Otherwise, I'm wearing a nerdy teeshirt (today consists of Rorschach with one of those barcode phone thingies for his facemask) and generally darkwash jeans, with black socks and my favourite blue vans.

My wife has a similar style choice. Nerdy t-shirt and jeans, unless the occasion absolutely demands a different attire. However, if she had a choice, she'd much rather choose her Nyan-Cat shirt.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:05 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,151,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Fashion?

What is this "fashion"?

To me, fashion on a day-to-day basis is a waste of time. When I'm cleaning, the last thing I'm worried about is "Does my shirt match my underwear?" or some ridiculously stupid thing like that.

I do dress up for special occasions, but that generally consists of some form of button down shirt and a pair of slacks with some dress shoes.

Otherwise, I'm wearing a nerdy teeshirt (today consists of Rorschach with one of those barcode phone thingies for his facemask) and generally darkwash jeans, with black socks and my favourite blue vans.

My wife has a similar style choice. Nerdy t-shirt and jeans, unless the occasion absolutely demands a different attire. However, if she had a choice, she'd much rather choose her Nyan-Cat shirt.

Well for that example-I agree. If Im in my house cleaning-I'll look like sh t. I mean who's going to see you anyway. Old beat up shirt, beat up sweats etc. I think most people are like that. For me it could just be my moms side of the family, this vanity thing. If there was a blanket on the floor my mom would not allow my front door to be open. Always cared so much what the neighbors would think. They live in a beautiful house. Large and decked out. But you would think one piece of grass could be out of place. Nope-not in my home. Growing up, my dad would tell me and my friends not to touch the walls. Had to go up the stairs without using the railing. Hated that. Also had to always leave our shoes outside. I hated this in the winter time. Put your feet in frozen shoes is not fun. Cars always as clean as a new car. Only my dad couldn't dress. My mom won't leave the house without looking good and her mother who is 89 is still the same way. This vanity trait could be passed down. Amazingly enough though, my dad dresses like a dork. Never cared what he looked like and wears alot of yankee shirts, Giant shirts, etc. Or homely buttoned down dweebo shirts. Wouldn't have style if it knocked him in the head. I can't blame his age (late sixties). He's always been this way. Although, he'll clearly deny it. Dellusion runs deep people....

Old 09-09-2011, 02:15 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Fashion?

What is this "fashion"?

"barcode phone thingies"?

You mean the QR barcodes?

And this shirt?

Old 09-09-2011, 02:24 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
"barcode phone thingies"?

You mean the QR barcodes?

And this shirt?
Shhhhh.

I couldn't remember the name.

I'm half surprised I spelled Rorschach's name right.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:36 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,170 times
11 years married to Mr Jorts. Wranglers, no kidding.

I love fashion, studied it in school, but in the end I am not a snob. I never was one who had to be seen with certain people or in certain labels-but I have a strong "aesthetic" or visual sense.

Mr Jorts is a super smart engineer- stupid is my real turn off, I like to use big words and know they are understood. I also like people who are nice and not shallow. Now Mr Jorts makes a very good income and though we are thrifty he never complains if I buy a new outfit or shoes. And I truly love him even in his jorts!!!

But if the guy is better dressed than the girl, I know it sounds sexist, but it may be different.. but believe that love looks with the heart not the mind so I would never say never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty