Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 01:59 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,562 times

Advertisements

.. in men's jeans, Levi's to be exact.

Like most men, I hate to shop for clothes. Therefore, my wife has been doing it for me for years. One thing that has consistently bugged me, (but not enough for me to shop for my own jeans) is the dependably inconsistent sizing.

I'm a 33 W, 32 L, and have been for a long time. Just this past weekend my wife surprised me with a few pair of new jeans. Out of the five, all of them marked 33, 32, only one pair fit. She returned the other four the next day, but last night it occurred to me that it may be because, without being sure, I would've bet that they were made overseas. Never checked before, but I went into my closet and checked the tags on three pair of old jeans I had in there, also the one pair that I kept, and of course it was true, but here's what surprised me. They were all made in different countries. The new pair in Lesotho, the other three in Mexico, Bangladesh, and China.

First, have others on here noticed this, that the only way to be sure that your jeans will fit is to try them on at the store?

Second, are there other men, (I suspect women would never put up with this), on here that walk around with their jeans dragging on the concrete, because like me, they'd rather have a root canal than shop for clothes?

Third, would you pay more, (don't know how much more it would have to be), to be certain that your clothing was consistently sized, and at the same time, possibly do something to save the American economy?

** Much ado about the fit of jeans!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 04:00 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
First, have others on here noticed this, that the only way to be sure that your jeans will fit is to try them on at the store?

Second, are there other men, (I suspect women would never put up with this), on here that walk around with their jeans dragging on the concrete, because like me, they'd rather have a root canal than shop for clothes?
I haven't noticed a difference in fit of the same style and size of jean like you described. I'm male and have always had trouble finding jeans that fit me since my teenage years. It's even harder now that I'm a good 15-20lbs heavier than my high school weight. I get pretty bummed out when I find some jeans/pants that I like, that fit, and get discontinued. I wouldn't say I hate shopping but it can be discouraging to go out, try on a bunch of pants, and walk away empty-handed because nothing fits properly.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:17 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,576 times
its been a issue for years no longer do we have standard clothes sizing in America... I think it ended in the 70s or 80s

Old 09-16-2011, 01:48 AM

488 posts, read 554,859 times
Quote:
I always try them on in store anymore. I don't know if it was a labeling issue, but I've worn 34s that fit like 36s, and 36s that fit like 34s. You would think something like inches wouldn't change between brands, but it seems to happen from time to time.

Quote:
I used to, but not so much anymore.

Quote:
Third, would you pay more, (don't know how much more it would have to be), to be certain that your clothing was consistently sized, and at the same time, possibly do something to save the American economy?
If I had the money I would. Although not jeans, there are places around that make custom dress shirts for a small sum. Although more expensive than off the shelf, they are made to your measurements. I would love to get something made for me. If only I had the money

Old 09-16-2011, 05:49 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
Levi's makes different lines of jeans that they brand with numbers like 501's, 511's, 514's, etc. Even within a certain line they've got some denim that are rigid & fit one way, and others that look more like soft dyed cotton or twill. I've even seen Levi's with cinch strap at the waist. It's no wonder they can't have consistent sizing because there's so much variation in cut & fabric & washes as they try to appeal to various segments of the youth market. You might want to buy jeans online or thru the mail like at LL Bean or Orvis since they're geared for a more mature traditional demographic and their cuts & sizing will probably be more consistent from yr to yr.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:05 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Welcome to what women have been dealing with for YEARS!!!!!

Seriously though, you will end up either A, having to go and try on pairs till you find the right fit, or B, take all your measurements, and give them to someone that will measure the pants and match up your size.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:59 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Welcome to what women have been dealing with for YEARS!!!!!

Seriously though, you will end up either A, having to go and try on pairs till you find the right fit, or B, take all your measurements, and give them to someone that will measure the pants and match up your size.
Exactly right, Cav Scout wife.........women have been dealing with this problem for years.......pants, dresses, shirts........you never know if it will fit until you try it on.

Blouses.....I have small, medium and large in my closet.

Another thing I have been a victim of many, many, many times.........

finding that perfect pair of jeans and then the next time you go to buy them.....they have been discontinued.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:37 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,562 times
Never knew all this ^^ ... I suddenly feel spoiled, like a whiner, and to make matters worse, I think I've just grown to a size 34 waist. You guys like red velvet cake with cream cheese icing? Perfect snack for the wee small hours!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:59 AM

85 posts, read 202,283 times
Yeah, this is a huge problem with women's clothes - my closet has shirts from XS to L and pants from a size 1 to a size 7! You really can't find anything to fit unless you try it on first.

Alos, in regards to the inconsistent sizing for men - my husband just busted his two favorite shorts and is trying to find new ones - he's having this same issue. He's a 34 but all the different brands shift the sizes so none of them fit quite right.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:28 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Never knew all this ^^ ... I suddenly feel spoiled, like a whiner, and to make matters worse, I think I've just grown to a size 34 waist. You guys like red velvet cake with cream cheese icing? Perfect snack for the wee small hours!
Honestly, I JUST bought a new jeans yesterday, and took a small fabric measuring tape with me. The sales clerk looked at me funny, then asked if I needed any help and what size was I, I told her I didn't have a clue, that's why I was measuring the jeans to match my measurements.

I bought 4 pairs, (all from different "designers") and I have a size 4, 6, 8, and 2. But their measurements are all the same (waist inches, hip inches, inseam), etc...)

Naw, you don't sound spoiled, you sound like every other normal shopper that expects a size 34/34 to actually BE 34'' waist and 34'' inseam, and well, it just might not be these days.

As for the Red Velvet, not really a fan, I'm a caramel cheesecake fan, but late at night I want crunch raw fresh veggies ('specially broccoli).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty