Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:40 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,648,778 times

Advertisements

Fall is here and my lips tend to get very dry and chapped. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep your lips moist and looking good?

Also, does anyone know what brands of chapstick, lip gloss, lip balm, lipsticks, etc. work best for the dry season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 11:42 AM

615 posts, read 1,676,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Fall is here and my lips tend to get very dry and chapped. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep your lips moist and looking good?

Also, does anyone know what brands of chapstick, lip gloss, lip balm, lipsticks, etc. work best for the dry season?

I have the same issue. I use Burt's Bees balm and they come with color as well. It does the job for me.

I've also heard good things about Neutrogena's lip balm, but I personally haven't use it myself.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:53 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I don't do much with my lips, because I don't live in a very dry climate, so they tend to stay okay on their own for the most part. But when I do need it, I use Burt's Bees lipbalm. I tend to like the original formulation the best, which has peppermint oil in it. It works much better than Chapstick. Nivea works pretty well, too, but has a flavor/scent I don't like.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:44 PM

165 posts, read 323,039 times
Neosporin Lip Health

It doesn't just coat your lips like other "lip conditioners" It absorbs into the lips, preventing dryness

Old 09-18-2011, 02:58 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,827 times
Every morning and evening, I gently "brush" my lips using a soft washcloth. Then I apply Carmex both in the morning and evening. In the mornings, if I plan on wearing lipstick or lipgloss, I wait about 10 minutes after the Carmex to apply it. It keeps my lips from being chap and it's not as thick and greasy as something like Vaseline.

I love Burt's Bees products and haven't tried their lip balm yet. Carmex is much cheaper, but I would bet the Burt's Bees products being suggested are wonderful also. Since a few people have suggested it, I guess I'll suck it up and give it a try.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:27 PM

885 posts, read 1,521,921 times
I eat a hi-fat diet and use pure lanolin if necessary.

Any products with menthol dry out my lips like crazy

Old 09-18-2011, 08:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Dior makes a rose-scented lip balm. I like it as well as Blistex Herbal Answer.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:49 PM

345 posts, read 994,409 times
I really like Carmex, and keep a tube in several locations to make sure it's easily available. During winter, I reapply several times a day/night.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:42 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
I have chronic chapped lips due to a medication side effect, I've tried almost every balm on the market plus special ones that the pharmacist can order for you. The best thing out there I've found for the flaking is Clinique's All About Lips. It is a very gentle chemical exfoliator, not a balm. It removes flakes, prevents new ones from forming, and if you are prone to clogged pores at the lipline it takes care of that, too. Supposedly it is for those little lines that older women get at the lipline - I don't know if it actually helps with that or not. For moisturization, the Burt's Bees Honey formula is good, it doesn't have the irritating peppermint in it like their regular formula. Avoid products with menthol, it feels nice and tingly for a bit, but it ultimately makes the problem worse instead of better. Also if you get a lot of rebound with a balm that contains sunscreen you may be sensitive to the sunscreen. I can't use any chemical sunscreens and that's the type that are in most lip balms. If your lips are worse as soon as it wears off, there is something in it that is irritating your lips, like menthol, camphor, sunscreen, etc.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:42 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Lanolin can actually make your lips peel if you have a sensitivity to wool. Try lanolin free lipbalms from crazy rumors. They are amazing lipbalms and come in a couple different flavors:

All Natural and Vegan Lip Balms and Lip Colors in Fun Flavors Crazy Rumors

I never thought I would find one to beat burts but these do.

If my lips are cracked I like blistex medicated:
Buy Blistex Medicated Lip Ointment Online at drugstore.com

It doesnt taste good but it works. I use it before bed. During the day only if I have actual cracked lips. It takes it away in less than a day usually.

Carmex makes your lips peel and because of all the ingredients can make your lips worse if they are already irritated:
Carmex Lip Balm - How Carmex Works (http://www.mycarmex.com/how-it-works/default.aspx - broken link)
Its just one of those things I can't use so if it doesn't work for you...maybe you have the same issues.

This one step just helps lips and face: If my skin looks dry, splotchy and my lips look pale and thinner I like to take a palm (quarter size or less) of PURE virgin olive oil and massage it into my face and over my lips. Let it soak in a minute and swipe off excess with a paper towel. Then I mix some salt or sugar in with my facewash and exfoliate my face (massage in a minute). Then I scrub it all off with a fresh washcloth. Your entire skin will feel baby smooth. Use sugar if you have sensitive skin. Salt if you have some acne. The salt may sting a little bit anywhere you have a breakout but helps it heal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty