Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 08:54 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times

Advertisements

Looking for some advice on which of these suits you like the best. It's for a high school reunion 10 year supposed to be cocktail attire.

I like this grey sharkskin but wondering if you can wear a color that light in fall and also if you like it?

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=449324&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

I like this darker grey but not sure how i feel about the pointd lapels. also can you wear a suit like this without the vest as a 2 piece instead of a 3 piece? also is this too dressy?

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=301933&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

then you got the plain black

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=415991&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 04:04 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Yeah you can wear the 3 piece without the vest.

I like the grey suit but not for fall and the black pinstripe suit.

Alfani RED Black Pinstriped Jacket, Pants & Alfani Black Skinny Tie - Men's - Macy's

Alfani RED Jacket, Grey Sharkskin Slim Fit - Blazers & Sport Coats - Men's - Macy's

Old 09-20-2011, 04:22 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Both are very nice. Just pick one and wear a pop out tie and you'll be all good.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:08 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
I like the grey no matter what the season

Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
If you wear the one with the vest. Take the vest to a tailor and have them cut the v down to a lower u shape and it will change it into something that looks awesome that no one will have.

This will make you stand out from the crowd plus the ladies love it, take my word for it.

And also on a side note. Doesn't matter how good you look in it, if you don't have great shoes to go with it, you will also stand out but in the wrong way. Wearing a nice suit says you have class, wearing nice shoes with that suit says even more about you.

And if you have a date. Clean your car because it shows that you respect and are thinking about her.

busta

Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
If you wear the one with the vest. Take the vest to a tailor and have them cut the v down to a lower u shape and it will change it into something that looks awesome that no one will have.

This will make you stand out from the crowd plus the ladies love it, take my word for it.

And also on a side note. Doesn't matter how good you look in it, if you don't have great shoes to go with it, you will also stand out but in the wrong way. Wearing a nice suit says you have class, wearing nice shoes with that suit says even more about you.

And if you have a date. Clean your car because it shows that you respect and are thinking about her.

busta

Excellent post, busta. I would go a step further and say that if your dress shoes do NOT have leather soles, they're not really dress shoes. Go get a decent pair of REAL dress shoes - they'll last you a lifetime.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:57 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Excellent post, busta. I would go a step further and say that if your dress shoes do NOT have leather soles, they're not really dress shoes. Go get a decent pair of REAL dress shoes - they'll last you a lifetime.
Absolutely.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:39 PM

305 posts, read 1,116,628 times
And NO square or super-elongated toes, dude. Go for something like this:

Cole Haan Air Colton Plain Oxford - Men's Shoes : ColeHaan.com

(Less expensive: http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/trends/f...408581-rude/28)

My rec...buy the brown ones and put a coat of black polish on. Gives 'em a nice rich patina that looks like polished dark wood. Unless you buy the black suit, then black shoes.

Last edited by SloopyJ; 09-22-2011 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: cheaper option

Old 09-23-2011, 11:06 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Bluchers?

I guess. Not exactly a dress shoe, but they'll do for most people. The first ones anyway. The Aldos do not belong with a suit at all. A&E Fifth Avenue in brown. Product: Fifth Avenue

Skip the black suit and go for a dark charcoal. For 10th aniversary cocktail attire, it's appropriate it in "that I'm too casually cool to wear a tuxedo, so I'll buy a suit that can only be worn when a tuxedo is appropriate" way. If you never need the thing again, just rent at Men's Warehouse... otherwise get something more versatile, imo. Fall is traditionally darker colors, but that really depends where you live. In LA, the light grey would be perfectly appropriate year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty