Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:32 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,663,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sorry. I am denying it. What makes this shirt art, pray tell?
It's the expressionism which comes out of the artist.

Spill coffee on the floor, it's easy and it takes its own shape.

Now sit down and try drawing every minute detail of the spill. That's art. If you cannot appreciate it, that's okay. Artistic sense differs and some don't possess any to begin with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
It's a form of decorative art. The intent is for it to be aesthetically pleasing, and it delivers to some people.

If ready-made torn-up denims, ready-made paint-stained t-shirts, asymmetrical dresses, asymmetrical hairstyles/haircuts, and a whole list of other things I deem incredibly ugly, can be considered artistic expressions, then why in the world would a ready-made coffee-stained shirt not be considered Art?
Perfect, RH.

Again, art is a passion. It takes a certain level of interest/inquisitiveness to come to terms with it.

When I was a kid, some works of Picasso looked stupid to me. But then I delved into the world of Picasso and it's an ocean of emotions. But that's too much for the common man. Art isn't for everyone.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,622,264 times
So my Captain Crunch T-shirt is art too! Sweet!

Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 AM

From the Devil Wears Prada. I wish Miranda Priestly were here right now LMAO

Miranda : Hmm. Something funny?
Andy : No. No, no, no. Nothing's... You know, it's just that both those belts look exactly the same to me. You know, I'm still learning about this stuff and, uh...
Miranda : This... stuff? Oh. Okay. I see. You think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select... I don't know... that lumpy blue sweater, for instance because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue. It's not turquoise. It's not lapis. It's actually cerulean. And you're also blithely unaware of the fact... that in 2002, Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves Saint Laurent wasn't it... who showed cerulean military jackets? I think we need a jacket here.
Nigel : Mmm.
Miranda : And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of eight different designers. And then it, uh, filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic Casual Corner where you, no doubt, fished it outof some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs... and it's sort of comical how you think you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact you're wearing a sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room... from a pile of stuff.

Movie Lines, movie scripts

Old 09-29-2011, 09:33 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,972,596 times
What is the point of this argument? Anything can be labeled as art. The real question is whether it deserves to be appreciated as such.

This shirt was designed for Starbucks to make money - pure and simple. That is not art, that is greed. If you are dense enough to buy it, more power to you.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,983,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post

This shirt was designed for Starbucks to make money - pure and simple. That is not art, that is greed. If you are dense enough to buy it, more power to you.

How many non-profit clothing lines do you patronize?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:58 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,470,166 times
Selling crap to idiots for $85................ priceless

Old 09-29-2011, 02:52 PM

410 posts, read 741,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Jackson Pollock once famously splattered anarchic dollops of paint across a canvas and swiftly became an icon of American art. Now, following in that famously volatile painter’s footsteps comes youthful designer Alexander Wang, who’s asking $85 for T-shirts that look as if he spilled coffee on them.

The Look - Is Starbucks' new coffee-stained T-shirt worth $85?
Definitely not worth it. For that matter, I really hate that torn, scuffed up, stained clothes are somehow in style. I went shopping recently to find some shirts for my boyfriend and a lot of them looked like they had paint stains on them or had holes in them. Don't you buy new clothes because you DON'T want the stains and holes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty