Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 11:03 PM

314 posts, read 816,886 times

Advertisements

I have really oily skin, I'm 23 and I break out like a 15 year old. I have tried everything and now that I can't afford going to a dermatologist I did some research! Tea tree oil actually does the trick for my acne! I only put a little bit on my pimples and they disappeared in literally 24 hours. What are your thoughts on this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 09:36 AM

885 posts, read 1,520,835 times
I also rub in a drop of straight essential oil on skin infections. I don't like tea tree, I find it to be too strong for direct application, I prefer lavender.

You can scar your skin by using too much, or if you develop an irritation to using it, or if UV exposure damages the area (usually sunlight + essential oils is a bad combination for skin).

I wash the essential oil away from the area a few hours after applying, only apply when I won't be in sunlight, and use various other things too like clay and witch hazel so the skin doesn't get irritated from overuse of essential oil.

I love essential oils & use them all the time for lots of different things. They are a wonder of nature, IMO!

Old 10-02-2011, 10:40 AM

314 posts, read 816,886 times
Thanks for your input! I didn't know that they could scar! I'll wash it off once I see a difference..thanks!

Old 10-03-2011, 07:00 AM

19,688 posts, read 20,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post

You can scar your skin by using too much, or if you develop an irritation to using it, or if UV exposure damages the area (usually sunlight + essential oils is a bad combination for skin).

I wash the essential oil away from the area a few hours after applying, only apply when I won't be in sunlight, and use various other things too like clay and witch hazel so the skin doesn't get irritated from overuse of essential oil.
You can say that again! And again...

I got a pretty bad chemical burn from tea tree oil a couple yrs ago trying (desperately) to heal a stubborn zit. Not fun! It was a truly horrible experience.

*Definitely need to use precautions when dealing with essential oils!

Old 10-03-2011, 07:51 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,157,286 times
TMI, TMI, TMI !

Ewwwwwwwww.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:56 AM

885 posts, read 1,520,835 times
The essential oil is absorbed quickly into the skin tissue because of its volatile nature (I don't know what this property is called, chemically), it's not really 'topical.' After a short while the anti-bacterial etc. agents of the essential oil have penetrated the entire area and washing the surface of the skin doesn't remove the healing agents in the deep tissues.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:27 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,032 times
I've found Burt's Bee spot treatment to be beneficial as well as drinking ACV in a glass of water 3x daily. It doesn't taste all that great, but it's worked for me! I've also found that putting egg white on your face helps too.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:14 PM

860 posts, read 2,714,809 times
The zit zapper light gizmos are my new thing. They finally came down in price and kill the bacteria from deep within, they are great for the occassional cystic acne that springs up unexpectedly. But you cannot overdo or the zit turns black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty