Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 PM

615 posts, read 1,675,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Like most women, I didn't like pantihose (although garter belts were even worse---yup, I AM that old to remember). But we endured them because they made our legs look good.

Now I hear that they shouldn't be worn, especially "nude" hose---if worn at all, should be something like patterned tights.

But aside from your legs being cold, would they really look good bare, especially in the winter? I guess there's self-tanning stuff...

They may be a "no-no" for some, but there are those of us that still wear them.There are certain dresses and skirts that I will not go bare with. The hose IMO completes the outfit and makes it look more polished. Particularly, if one works in Corporate America and wears suits (skirt suits).

Every one can do as they wish, but I have no problems wearing them. As long as one gets a good quality hose and it fits properly it's all good with me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:29 PM

344 posts, read 993,860 times
Pantyhose are expensive, uncomfortable, and unnatural. All reasons I don't wear them - even in winter. However, wear them if they make you feel better.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:38 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Where are you hearing this?

And who in their right mind would go barelegged in the winter?

Those of us who live in warm climates, that's who.

It really never gets cold enough in LA to "have" to wear anything on our legs.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Those of us who live in warm climates, that's who.

It really never gets cold enough in LA to "have" to wear anything on our legs.
Yup! I live in the Bay, those super chilly days are rare.

I hate pantyhose, because 2 minutes after you put them on they get a run! I find that tights are more durable, and I wear patterned tights in the winter for fun.

I work in a business casual environment. Pantyhose would be overkill. In California, hose is rarely worn in any environment.

I do think we need a video to accompany this thread:

Morris Day - Fishnet - YouTube

Old 10-06-2011, 11:39 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yup! I live in the Bay, those super chilly days are rare.

I hate pantyhose, because 2 minutes after you put them on they get a run! I find that tights are more durable, and I wear patterned tights in the winter for fun.

I work in a business casual environment. Pantyhose would be overkill. In California, hose is rarely worn in any environment.

I do think we need a video to accompany this thread:

Morris Day - Fishnet - YouTube
Too funny! When I think of pantyhose I think of the 80s and this video...

ZZ Top - Legs (music video) - YouTube

Old 10-07-2011, 12:32 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
I wouldn't go bare legged without a self tanner. The other alternative is tigh highs.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:44 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
I don't wear pantyhose during the summer; however, I always try to tan them because I really hate "white legs". But I will wear them for a more special occasion because I still think they make legs look better, and seem to help complete the look.

I wear nothing but pants throughout the winter but if, for some reason, I wear a rare dress then I pull out tights. I prefer to bundle up warm.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
I don't wear pantyhose anymore, because I very very rarely wear dresses.... but in those time I have to. And I always wear socks.

And in this whole discusson, that's what I don't get -- what kind of shoes are you wearing that are comfortable barefooted? I can only get away with the strippiest of sandals with no shoes.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I don't wear pantyhose anymore, because I very very rarely wear dresses.... but in those time I have to. And I always wear socks.

And in this whole discusson, that's what I don't get -- what kind of shoes are you wearing that are comfortable barefooted? I can only get away with the strippiest of sandals with no shoes.
Right-o Tally. (I know you meant sandals with no socks) Years ago, I wore a pair of shoes without socks or hose. I developed the worst case of stink-foot I'm sure anyone had ever experienced. Had to throw the shoes away. Believing it must be a fault in the shoes, I tried it again; this time with a pair of which I was quite fond. Same result. So how does one manage to go without a foot covering inside your shoe without eventually dealing with this problem? I'm not being snarky, I really want to know.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Re: going sans socks, speaking for myself, I don't sweat much...and that goes for my feet, too. I don't even get stinky gym shoes and socks. I tend to avoid wearing socks until it gets absolutely too cold to go without, and I break out sandals at the earliest possible date that I can. I hate socks, and have never had the sweaty feet/stinky shoes issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty