Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 07:34 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times

Advertisements

I see all kinds of guys wearing them. I think they're here to stay. JMHO. I can't stand seeing them worn with socks though...that looks brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 07:41 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
You see this in larger metros here in Texas which is probably due to all the transplants. Once you get out away from the city, especially out west, flips aren't going to do guys much good. Anyhow, I think it's pretty silly my self outside of hanging out the pool or beach etc.
My husband has a pair of Rainbow brand sandals that he bought in Midland at Ski Skeller probably 25+ years ago. Our 21 year old now has a pair just like them. My husband has gone through years where he didn't wear them at all, then more years when he has. He's been wearing Chacos and Keens for the last 5 years, almost continually. Both our 20 something son's wear them all the time. One of them, which lives in central Texas, wears them almost year round.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:09 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Midwestern men have been wearing sandals for most of the 52 years I can remember noticing such things.

Some fad, eh?

Old 10-14-2011, 08:14 PM

76 posts, read 290,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Midwestern men have been wearing sandals for most of the 52 years I can remember noticing such things.

Some fad, eh?
Of course sandals have existed over the last 52+ years. But the popularity has skyrocketed in recent years. Very few guys wore them 20 years ago....and I don't even think they were as popular with women then as they are today. A lot of women wore canvas shoes and gym shoes in the summer with shorts.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:18 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog77 View Post
Of course sandals have existed over the last 52+ years. But the popularity has skyrocketed in recent years. Very few guys wore them 20 years ago....and I don't even think they were as popular with women then as they are today. A lot of women wore canvas shoes and gym shoes in the summer with shorts.
On what planet?

Old 10-14-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
On what planet?
In the midwest! Heck, even watch movies from that era (80s and early 90s) and compare to today's movies....the style was different back then.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Funny, I grew up in MO, was a teenager in the 70s, guys wore flops all the time......maybe a sub-regional thing?
Or maybe they go in and out of style?

Old 10-14-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I think the OP is talking about more than just flip flops and shorts while at the park, a picnic, or the pool.
Right. They are worn shopping, to festivals, ballgames, BBQs, etc.

Quote:
I see guys whering flip flops with jeans, which I think is a fad.
I was under the impression that this is still "girly" but I'm not a fashion guru, that's just based on what some lady friends told me. They say flip flops are preferred with shorts though.

Quote:
It goes along with the shaggy hair and beach bum style that younger people are into, I think - which seems popular regardless of proximity to a beach.
Exactly....and I didn't notice this look being anywhere near this popular years ago.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
In the midwest! Heck, even watch movies from that era (80s and early 90s) and compare to today's movies....the style was different back then.
Quote:
Or maybe they go in and out of style?
I was born and raised in MO, I will be 50 in January.....no gals I ever knew wore sneakers etc in the summer, ever.....as I said earlier, perhaps what you saw was some sort of sub-regional thing?
BTW, what part of the Midwest do you hail from?

Old 10-14-2011, 08:41 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
They're a footwear trend, not a fad.

Hula hoops were a fad. Pet rocks were a fad. Choice of footwear is a trend.

Flip-flop/sandal usage will ebb and flow over time, as with virtually all optional leisure wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty