Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,952,414 times

Advertisements

So Jet Jockey and I were commiserating about bra shopping, so I thought it would be good to have a thread on the bra options and brands.

So first up we need some definitions:
Full Bust: DD + cups, band sizes from about 26 - ~38
Full-figured: Bands of 36+ (approximately)
Full-figured and full bust: 36+ Band and DD+ Cup

American sizing and UK sizing are very different. US is about 2 cups smaller once you are above DD than the equivalent UK size. So 32F in a UK-sized brand is more like 32H in a US-sized brand.

Also, being above DD doesn't mean your breasts are "huge" or "fake." (nothing against anyone who would use that description for their breasts). Cups and bands are proportional. So someone who is a 32F has the same amount of breast tissue as someone who is wearing a ~40B. And obviously these sizes have widely different connotations.

Brands:
Freya (UK D-H)
Panache (UK D-J)
Cleo by Panache (UK D-J)
Curvy Kate (UK D-K)
Fantasie
Chantelle (UK D-H)
Elomi
Claudette
Parfait by Affinitas

Stores:
Figleaves
Brastop
Bravissmo
Herroom
Bare Necessities

Chime about your favorite brands, stores, blogs, etc.

Also, if you know the size ranges feel free to edit. I never remember, so these are my guesses. And I know I left off a few and didn't even mention the blogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 07:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,672,872 times
How to Measure Your Bra Size: 6 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow

Just in case

So many women have no idea how to measure for their bra size and you very well could be wearing the completely wrong size.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:17 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,793,828 times
My favorite blogs:

Thin and Curvy

Bras I Hate & Love

The first measures as a bra size that isn't available commercially because she has a very narrow ribcage. She does some bra reviews but more so talks about the challenges of fitting a larger bust with a smaller waist.

The second does a lot of bra reviews and talks about how to make small alterations to your bras to improve fit and what styles to look for for your particular needs.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,979,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So Jet Jockey and I were commiserating about bra shopping, so I thought it would be good to have a thread on the bra options and brands.

So first up we need some definitions:
Full Bust: DD + cups, band sizes from about 26 - ~38
Full-figured: Bands of 36+ (approximately)
Full-figured and full bust: 36+ Band and DD+ Cup

American sizing and UK sizing are very different. US is about 2 cups smaller once you are above DD than the equivalent UK size. So 32F in a UK-sized brand is more like 32H in a US-sized brand.

Also, being above DD doesn't mean your breasts are "huge" or "fake." (nothing against anyone who would use that description for their breasts). Cups and bands are proportional. So someone who is a 32F has the same amount of breast tissue as someone who is wearing a ~40B. And obviously these sizes have widely different connotations.

Brands:
Freya (UK D-H)
Panache (UK D-J)
Cleo by Panache (UK D-J)
Curvy Kate (UK D-K)
Fantasie
Chantelle (UK D-H)
Elomi
Claudette
Parfait by Affinitas

Stores:
Figleaves
Brastop
Bravissmo
Herroom
Bare Necessities

Chime about your favorite brands, stores, blogs, etc.

Also, if you know the size ranges feel free to edit. I never remember, so these are my guesses. And I know I left off a few and didn't even mention the blogs.
Great list. I'll add Goddess to the list of brands as well as Enell and Moving Comfort for sports bras. If you are in the Boston area, Eveden (which reps Freya, Goddess, Fantasie in the US) opened an outlet store in Dedham, MA. I haven't been yet, but went to a warehouse event of theirs a while back. Freya bras for $7? I'll take 10.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,672,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
Great list. I'll add Goddess to the list of brands as well as Enell and Moving Comfort for sports bras. If you are in the Boston area, Eveden (which reps Freya, Goddess, Fantasie in the US) opened an outlet store in Dedham, MA. I haven't been yet, but went to a warehouse event of theirs a while back. Freya bras for $7? I'll take 10.
See, I KNEW there was a reason I got offered a job in Boston!

Old 10-29-2012, 12:42 PM

715 posts, read 1,076,154 times
Le Mystere and Bali are two brands that I like. I order them from Bare Necessities.

I am looking to expand into other lines since it looks like my Bali bra (a minimizer) may be getting discontinued. Thanks for the list!

Old 06-17-2013, 05:22 PM

Oh how did I forget:
Ewa-Michalak.pl

Parfait expanded its cups to I think K now!

More brands:
Fauve
Masquerade

Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,529,753 times
Whenever we are in Portland my wife spends some time here, while I sit in the car on the smartphone or take a nap, and she swears by this place for real fitting:

Just Like A Woman - Specialty Lingerie

Old 06-18-2013, 06:48 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,571,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
How to Measure Your Bra Size: 6 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow

Just in case

So many women have no idea how to measure for their bra size and you very well could be wearing the completely wrong size.
Ok so I'm totally wearing the wrong bra size. According to this I'm a 30 F. That can't be right.....

Last edited by sophialee; 06-18-2013 at 06:57 AM..

Old 06-18-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Ok so I'm totally wearing the wrong bra size. According to this I'm a 30 F. That can't be right.....
I wouldn't be surprised at all. Lots of people are smaller in the band and bigger in the cup than they think. But keep in mind, the volume for a 30F is the same as a 34D/36C. Don't get hung up on the letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty