Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:56 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My sister got married on a tropical island during her vacation. The hotel manager was the witness. Then, she came home and threw a totally informal barbeque party at a nearby park to celebrate it. I thought it was a great idea.

But to me, it sounds like the OP feels the whole concept of a "wedding event" is a waste of time and money. And yet, she is having a "wedding event." So it sounds like she is totally NOT doing what she wants to do, and is rubbing it in the faces of the people who like the more traditional wedding event, and spitting on it and making fun of it out of spite.

Seems like a whole lot of time and money and effort wasted to spite other people, instead of spending all that time, money, and effort doing what she wants. She should just get married at the town hall with a witness and the JP, and throw a party over the weekend instead.
My idea of a 'wedding event' is simply not that of everyone else. I am not a traditional type bride,and think alot of the 'tradition' things are silly. That doesnt mean I dont want a wedding, it just means I dont want everybody elses pre-set ideas on what a wedding "should" be, what I should look like/do, and getting through that irritates me.
I wouldnt do a courthouse wedding. They are tacky to me, and far too much like a business contract. Around here, if you're my age and you do that, you get whispers about it being a 'shotgun wedding'. Next thing Id have people asking me if I was knocked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 11:16 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I wouldnt do a courthouse wedding. They are tacky to me, and far too much like a business contract. Around here, if you're my age and you do that, you get whispers about it being a 'shotgun wedding'. Next thing Id have people asking me if I was knocked up.
I was a maid of honor at one.... and it was the saddest event I've ever witnessed.

And my mother wasn't the most talkative person in the world with our extended family. I dated my husband for 2 years before we got engaged. and was engaged two years before we got married.... and no one in the extended family had heard of him, and thought I was knocked up....

And she said, ten minutes before the wedding, that I didn't have to go through with it, we could have a party.....

Twenty years later, my husband was the favorite son in law...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty