Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:39 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,031 times

Advertisements

This thread grew some legs!!! Should be interesting read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Well someone needs to tell them . . . . These "poor" girls or guys or who ever should perhaps stop spending money they dont have and invest their momney so they can stop being poor.

so bout them apples?
You should be that someone. When YOU see these poor people address them. Tell us what happens.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Some of the popular name brands use sweatshops in China. I remember there being a big controversy about Ralph Lauren using sweatshops to make their clothes. A lot of Apple products are made in China as well. People pay ridiculous amounts of money for that stuff.
Ralph Lauren and Apple are cheap compare to real Gucci, Fendi & Louie V. Ive never seen a fake Apple Iphone or a fake Ralph Lauren polo shirt. The real versions are pretty affordable.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyloves View Post
I have one of those... Multicolored. Yes, it's fake. It's only to be seen on my head when I'm sleeping, though.
I use/support mass transit and when I am on the train..i do see the so called poor people with the designer names and I always assume that stuff is FAKE as hell. I saw one girl with a Cadillac purse on the train...I found it funny. She was on mass transit with a Cadillac bag. I didnt even know Cadillac made bags. I think the support of the fake suppliers really does hurt the real companies who create and provide the real high priced items. It says a lot about people in general and their lust to feel important or rich.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:13 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
[quote=Antlered Chamataka;21354824]Don't get me started, I've been having a field day bashing apple stock over here. Apple fans are close to crying ;

AAPL stock has done better than most stocks. The returns for

2004, 201%.
2005, 123%
2006 18%,
2007, 133%
2009,146%
2010, 53%
They are still doing well this year at 18%.
So I think AAPL investors are very, very happy. Most likely having more money than they had before. I think RIMM investors are the ones crying.

Anyway, back to the original topic. There are people that buy logo brands to impress people too. It's not just people that buy fakes.

Personally, I buy some name brand because they last forever. I bought a Guess and Coach purse because I received a huge military bonus in 1998. Those purses still look brand new.

Now, I also bought a nice purse at Target last year and the seams are falling apart already. I am in no way trying to impress anyone. I think some name brands you get what you pay. I rather spend $400 on a nice quality name brand purse or shoes than buy a purse that lasts 6 months. Sometimes it's about quality.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
Ok, so from my understanding...if a person wears a knock-off(fake)because they like a certain brand and couldn't afford the real thing, that automatically makes them a sellout?
I dont think it makes them sell outs, but walking around with FAKE stuff acting like it is the official brand to give yourself confidence is well, kinda funny. Women trying to impress women? I guess.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post

Exactly. And I'll proudly carry my Cole-Haan purse while wearing my $9 Clearance shoes from Land's End because I don't care what OP or anybody else thinks of the price of my clothes or how they're matched.
Lies!

Old 10-23-2011, 12:56 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I use/support mass transit and when I am on the train..i do see the so called poor people with the designer names and I always assume that stuff is FAKE as hell. I saw one girl with a Cadillac purse on the train...I found it funny. She was on mass transit with a Cadillac bag. I didnt even know Cadillac made bags. I think the support of the fake suppliers really does hurt the real companies who create and provide the real high priced items. It says a lot about people in general and their lust to feel important or rich.
Actually there's a handbag design company called "Ashley M", and they make all sorts of funky bags, even ones with Cadillac Symbols. They even come with a card inside the shows GMC's (the parent Co.) "authorization/approval". I owned two "Cadillac" bags at one point. I liked them alot, and they turned heads, but I gave them away before the GMC bailout.

You can find some bags here:Ashley M Handbags and Purses | New Styles! - eBags.com

Old 10-23-2011, 03:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I make my own handbags. Guess that makes them "designer." I design them.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And that's the way it's always worked.... just saw a "Say Yes to the Dress" where the bride wanted a "Kate" gown.... and they had it! Different lace, and probably not real silk, but it was a Kate gown.
A real shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty