Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 08:08 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

I just started getting my nails done again and got a set of acrylics yesterday. I asked for ombre white to purple and the very experienced tech promised me a natural looking smooth set. I got something very different than what I expected. To me, they look like crap; too thick and this was not an ombre, but I've just changed out of my square shaped dip powder solid oxblood set to this coffin shape, so I'm not sure. They are thick and weren't filed well but I didn't say anything because she had a client after me who was waiting a long time and I thought the totally different style was throwing off my perceptions of what they should look like. Ironically, she criticized my previous set and told me they were too thick but hers are even thicker! She is the sole owner, so she is the only one who can fix them.

I didn't want to seem like a bitchy newb, but I'm not digging the look. I don't like the ombre blend either. Do you even call it a blend? I'm so bummed. They were very expensive. I hate complaining because she took a very long time to do them and I don't like complaining anyway but every time I look at them I hate them. I'm also having a hard time finding a good tech! Opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Poor Job of Acrylic Nails-nails.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 08:17 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Yep too thick and shaped odd. I'd go back, it wasn't charity lol hence she should fix it to your liking.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:15 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
They are ombre for sure but weird shaped.

However, acrylics are thick by nature.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:53 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Definitely too thick. I have acrylic put over my regular nails and they are very natural looking because they aren't thick. I had a nail tech do the coffin shape on my nails once and I just didn't care for it. Maybe because I wasn't used to that shape or it could be because that shape looks best with long nails, which are very impractical for most of us.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:34 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Not a fan, sort of clumpy looking?

Old 02-20-2020, 11:44 AM

I called her and made an appointment to get the fixed. I think she needs to redo them actually. I spent more on them than any set I've ever gotten and never had a set that looked so bad. But I don't like confrontation and thought they would be OK. I'm still hating them. I'm mystified at how a tech with 28 years of experience could do such a terrible job.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:31 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I called her and made an appointment to get the fixed. I think she needs to redo them actually. I spent more on them than any set I've ever gotten and never had a set that looked so bad. But I don't like confrontation and thought they would be OK. I'm still hating them. I'm mystified at how a tech with 28 years of experience could do such a terrible job.
I'm glad you called her. I agree with the others. They did not turn out well.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:12 PM

15,636 posts, read 10,390,278 times
I don't think fake nails are ever attractive. well groomed, natural nails reflect good health and attention to self care. you have beautiful skin and fingers, Scooby. why draw attention away from your natural assets with obviously unnatural white and purple fake nails?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-20-2020 at 01:26 PM..

Old 02-21-2020, 09:18 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I can't speak for Scooby but in the last 10 years I have developed deep vertical ridges in many of my nails to the point where they were so deep they would actually catch on any fabric and break off at the corners. I started doing acrylics so I didn't have to worry about the involved procedure I had to go through with ridge filler polish, then base coat, then color and then top coat. All that and it wouldn't even last a week. I have gel polish over my acrylics and it lasts for weeks. If my nails didn't grow so fast and the new growth wasn't so visible I could probably go a month in-between fills. I have them applied very thin so they look natural.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 02-21-2020 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-21-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I don't think fake nails are ever attractive. well groomed, natural nails reflect good health and attention to self care. you have beautiful skin and fingers, Scooby. why draw attention away from your natural assets with obviously unnatural white and purple fake nails?
Thank you for the compliment. I'm a horrible nail biter for decades. I plan on wearing them only temporarily to break the habit. I tried other methods that didn't work but these are helping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty