Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 12:16 PM

473 posts, read 760,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I remember that Macy's bought out some of our good, locally owned high end department stores. Then the quality went way down.
I live in Chicago, where Macy's bought out Marshall Field's. Quality of everything (e.g. merchanidise, customer service, even shopping bags) immediately went down. Some Macy's stores are decent, while others have gotten borderline junky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 12:19 PM

473 posts, read 760,750 times
Surprised no one has mentioned Carson's (Younkers, Elder-Beerman, Boston Store, Bon-Ton).

Carson's was solidly in the middle, but in my opinion, has become more lower-end the last 10 years or so.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:34 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Saks, Neiman Marcus, and Barney's are high end.

Nordstrom, and perhaps Von Maur and Lord & Taylor, are upper-middle end.

Macy's and Dillard's are middle-end.

JCPenney, Sears, and Kohls are lower-middle end.

Target, Kmart, and Walmart, if considering a traditional department store, are low-end.

The hiearchy from high-end to low-end correlates with the number of locations each brand of store has.

Macy's confuses a lot of folks because the brand name has historical prestige and well, a lot of history. Nowadays, though, I don't think you can get any more middle of the road than Macy's, and I think Macy's can appeal to just about everybody.

~MoKan
I agree with you, except for Dillard's. The one I shopped in Scottsdale had nicer stuff all around than Macy's, which is very middle of the road.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:44 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
?

Barneys perhaps, Henri Bendel. Even Bergdorf Goodman. But "the designers store"? What?
Maybe they mean brand exclusive stores like Chanel, Hermès, Gucci, etc.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:29 AM

344 posts, read 245,054 times
High:
Saks 5th Ave
Nordstrom
Lord&Taylor

Middle:
Macy's

Low to Middle:
JC Penny
Sears

Low:
Walmart

Old 01-13-2018, 07:46 PM

447 posts, read 321,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
This is how I would rank them from highest to lowest:

Saks 5th Ave - High

Nordstrom - Middle to High

Lord & Taylor - Middle
Macy's - Middle

JCPenney - Low to Middle

Sears - Low
Wal-Mart - Low
Agree with this one. And to me Macy's clothes are more for people 50 and up. I don't shop clothes there. Instead I can find something I can wear in Dillard's.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 9,724 times
JC Penney has benefited from store investment. They have expanded and diversified beyond apparel. Say what you will about Ron Johnson, but he made the stores look much better. Frankly most JC Penney stores I have been in look nicer than the Macy’s or Lord & Taylors in the same mall.

Sears on the other hand has had little to no investment in stores since Eddie bought them in 2005. Sears is a sinking ship, that has basically been in a managed bankruptcy for the past 13 years.

Macy’s will also survive, strengthened by eliminating many locations over the past few years.

Neiman Marcus may not make it, it currently has a crushing debt load. The companies owned by HBC (Saks & Lord & Taylor) are a wild card. Their future is less certain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty