Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:23 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times

Advertisements

I saw some Chantilly at K-Mart, I think, a few months ago. I currently have 4 bottles of scent so I didn't want to buy another. I am using up Donna Karan's Cashmire Mist which smelled something like Chantilly (at least to me). When that is gone, I will be on the lookout for Chantilly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:43 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
What was your daughter's perfume? AND what a good mom to buy the last two bottles in the "free world"! I am sure she will relish this Christmas!!

And glad to read that both your daughter and you have "signature scents" and that I am not alone in this thinking...
It's BCBG Sexy. I still see bottles occasionally on ebay, I just wish people didn't realize how scarce it was and would sell it for $14 like they used to! HA! Now she usu sally wears VS Dream Angeles Heavenly, which is not going away. She like Burberry Brit too but said other people don't like it much on her.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:26 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
J'adore by Christian Dior. I also liked Dolce & Gabanna's "The One" but when I was pregnant it used to make me sick to my stomach so I gave it away...but J'adore is AWESOME!

Old 11-06-2011, 12:48 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
First off, I am wondering how many of you have been loyal to one perfume as you discovered that it was totally "you", or do you have several depending upon your mood, time of day, occasion or whatever. I have found one that IS totally me and it (Indecence by Givenchy) has made me feel good about myself for 2 decades.

However, it has been discontinued now for over two years, and it is harder to get on ebay. I think this will be my last "buy" for two reasons: 1. the price (I just now paid $149.00 for 1.7 oz which will last almost a year) and 2. I know the original scent of perfume doesn't last forever!

I always have been loyal to one brand, as in high school and college, my scent was Chantilly, and then I went into a Tabu and Vanilla Musk phase and have adjusted each time. But this time, the scent is different as I feel like it completes my personality, and I feel so GOOD wearing it!

Has anyone else felt this this before? And how much have you paid to feel this way?? Just curious...
OMG That means that Amarige de Givenchy might be discontinued one day too; this horrible thought never entered my mind)))))

*shock and horror*

Old 11-06-2011, 03:15 PM

208 posts, read 603,806 times
Quote:
WOW! Another one who loves it so.... may I ask you why? AND another WOW as what a coup to have two 3.4 oz bottles as that should last you a longggg time! Good job! I went to the site that you suggested and yes, the "juice" has been changed a bit. But I will try the new one, and maybe if I spray once with that one and once with the old one, it will be the same! However, after reading the comments, I felt that two were true for me as well: one, that both men and women made positive comments about it and two, it also lasted all day for me. I guess, though, I was wrong in that I used it for two decades as it only came out in '99, but I guess that is exactly when I began using it. I had a student whose mother thanked me profusely for helping her son, and in doing so, she gave me a basket of various sample perfumes as she sold them at parties, and as soon as I sprayed the Indecence on me, I KNEW that was the one! I just wish though, I that I wasn't a perfume monogamist (love that term!) like I am, and really need to do something about it!

Thanks for commenting!
That's similar to how I came across Indecence...in 2000 my ex's mom gave me a Christmas basket of girlie goodies, and Indecence was in there. I was such a perfume novice at the time and thought it was too strong, but after wearing it and obsessively smelling myself many times throughout the day, I quickly grew to love the warm cinnamon and patchouli spiciness. It's so simple (with only 5 notes!) yet unusual, really comforting, and sultry. And as you said, it lasts a long time.

I'm always on the lookout for other warm and spicy perfumes that remind me of Indecence and have come across a few that elicit a similar response, but nothing can replace it. Just sniff around and you, too, don't have to be a perfume monogamist.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:20 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,275 times
My first perfume was Chanel N°5 Parfum, a gift from my oldest brother who was 19 years my senior. I was only 18 at the time and the perfume was too sophisticate for me, but he told me I would grow into it and would appreciate it more and more as I became older.

He was right. It has been 40 years since that day, and there has always been a bottle of Chanel N°5 Parfum on my perfume tray. Last year, I "discovered" Chanel N°5 Eau Première (very silky) and bought two bottles, just in case.

I've tried others and found that I also liked them just as much -- Hermès' 24 Faubourg, Annick Goutal's Ce Soir ou Jamais, and Bulgari pour Femme -- but I always stay with Chanel N°5.

Almost 15 years ago, for one summer, Chanel produced a 1.2 oz eau de toilette named Une Fleur de Chanel. I was so much in love with it, and knowing it was a very limited edition (with a price that reflected the limited quantity), I bought seven bottles (I was still working back then so my "mad money" was still a respectable number.) I thought that was enough of a stash. Nope, it was not. The product was gone forever. I only have less than half of a bottle left and will never be able to find it again.

Very sad.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 11-06-2011 at 03:34 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 04:30 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,047,572 times
I have found that I don't have a "signature" scent but rather, several "seasonal" scents. Fragrances I've used the most in previous seasons include: 360 Degrees; Dream Angels Heavenly; Rosamour and Shi; Angel; Coach Legacy; different Bvlgari scents; Flowerbomb; Prada...the list goes on.

Right now, my seasonal scent is Dior Addict to Life. At some point, I'll probably revisit my other scents, unless I discover a new one.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:19 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
I can't commit to one scent either and change with the seasons. I LOVE Creed's Virgin Island Water for the summer. I also find myself liking a lot of the Escada annually released fragrances (Island Kiss, Pacific Paradise, etc..)

My current scent is YSL's Parisienne. Unfortunately it doesn't last very long.

I've paid over $250 for a bottle of cologne that was discontinued, but I've never really given it any thought to having a scent re-created. I just always figured there was enough scents out there that I would be sure to find something to suit my husband or myself.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:51 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,674 times
quote=LexWest;21602850]I have found that I don't have a "signature" scent but rather, several "seasonal" scents. Fragrances I've used the most in previous seasons include: 360 Degrees; Dream Angels Heavenly; Rosamour and Shi; Angel; Coach Legacy; different Bvlgari scents; Flowerbomb; Prada...the list goes on.

Right now, my seasonal scent is Dior Addict to Life. At some point, I'll probably revisit my other scents, unless I discover a new one.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I can't commit to one scent either and change with the seasons. I LOVE Creed's Virgin Island Water for the summer. I also find myself liking a lot of the Escada annually released fragrances (Island Kiss, Pacific Paradise, etc..)

My current scent is YSL's Parisienne. Unfortunately it doesn't last very long. I've paid over $250 for a bottle of cologne that was discontinued, but I've never really given it any thought to having a scent re-created. I just always figured there was enough scents out there that I would be sure to find something to suit my husband or myself.
Interesting that you both talked of "seasonal scents". I never really had thought of doing that, but then, where I live, there is not too much change in the seasons! BUT I could see me wearing something maybe a bit more "flowery" in the summer....except for "hot" dates

Thanks, definitely some food for thought!

Old 11-07-2011, 04:54 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
My first perfume was Chanel N°5 Parfum, a gift from my oldest brother who was 19 years my senior. I was only 18 at the time and the perfume was too sophisticate for me, but he told me I would grow into it and would appreciate it more and more as I became older.

He was right. It has been 40 years since that day, and there has always been a bottle of Chanel N°5 Parfum on my perfume tray. Last year, I "discovered" Chanel N°5 Eau Première (very silky) and bought two bottles, just in case.

I've tried others and found that I also liked them just as much -- Hermès' 24 Faubourg, Annick Goutal's Ce Soir ou Jamais, and Bulgari pour Femme -- but I always stay with Chanel N°5.

Almost 15 years ago, for one summer, Chanel produced a 1.2 oz eau de toilette named Une Fleur de Chanel. I was so much in love with it, and knowing it was a very limited edition (with a price that reflected the limited quantity), I bought seven bottles (I was still working back then so my "mad money" was still a respectable number.) I thought that was enough of a stash. Nope, it was not. The product was gone forever. I only have less than half of a bottle left and will never be able to find it again.

Very sad.

Wow... it is amazing you still have some of the Une Fleur around. And does it still smell the same as I thought perfume did have somewhat of a shelf-life.

And your post reminded me that I, too got Chanel #5 for my 18th birthday, but like you as well, felt it was "too old" for me. Maybe I should re-visit it~!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty