Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:30 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And really, if you think they're uncomfortable or ugly, you're not wearing the proper size or shade.
Sorry, but any pantyhose that attempts to match skin color is ugly in my view. If the shade is "flesh" then it is awful looking. I think you will always have the divided camps of those like me who think it looks hideous and outdated, then the camp where they think it makes their look polished or finished, and never the twain shall meet.

Is this a regional thing? I live in the northeast and I rarely see anyone but older women (60+) wearing flesh colored pantyhose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 01:15 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Guess I didn't wear the proper size then because I've always thought they were uncomfy and detest them. Where I worked we had to wear them, so I bought the knee highs. Under dress pants no one knew and HR was happy. Was a good compromise. I prefer stockings and garter belts to panthose if I'm forced to wear them.

This come back does make hubby VERY happy though. He thinks women in pantyhose or stockings is a classy look. *sigh*

Old 12-02-2011, 10:31 AM

285 posts, read 927,453 times
To add to the other guys thoughts and opinions, I think that pantyhose, tights bring the finished, polished look to a woman's outfit. I don't care for the bare leg look although there are some women that can get away with it and more power to them.
I do know from experience of being married, having pantyhose that fits right and of good quality can make a big difference as far as comfort. I get my wife quality pantyhose and she will wear them more often. Besides, I don't want to feel sandpaper type pantyhose if I touch her leg.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:53 AM

134 posts, read 239,253 times
IMO these days they seem more like a "Sex Symbol" than respected formal dress.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
Umm..am I missing something? What do other women wear with dresses and skirts? I cant imagine that they go bare legged except in the very most casual settings (sundress at the beach?) What do people wear with heels if not pantyhose? OK, I do also sometimes wear thigh highs...comfortable and also, if you get a run in one, the other one is still good.

I wear panty hose at work (flight attendant) and I cant imagine not wearing them. I m not a Leggs fan though, their colors are downright weird.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 AM

13 posts, read 50,574 times
I have some nude pantyhose, which I haven't worn in ages but I keep just in case.

The nude hose does match my extremely fair skin. It really IS like makeup for the legs : It looks like my natural skin color , with *just* enough pigment to conceal flaws and even out the skin tone.

However, all nudes are not the same. Different manufacturer's nudes have different tones. I have seen warm/peachy nudes, and cool/beigey nudes. The nude hose worn must be the right tone of nude to match the wearer's complexion , or it will look about as awful as Suntan hose (if the rest of the lady is untanned....That look really does look stupid). Plus, cool beige nudes worn with shoes and skirts that are warm-toned clashes terribly, and vice versa.I remember figuring that out when I was a child back in the 1970s or 1980s, wondering why various women's otherwise very nice outfits seemed just a tad off-their hose clashed with their shoes or skirt!

Also the hose, whatever the tone , should be of good enough quality so it doesn't glitter , like the cheaper hose. Silk or silk blend doesn't sparkle like most nylon fabric does.

Me, I have prominent knee caps, so I usually wear long skirts with sandals or boots, depending on the weather. This avoids the whole issue entirely!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Good Luck with that, Leggs....

I don't see pantyhose ever coming back in big way. I agree that certain in certain circumstances they will/should be worn. Funerals, very formal work settings, maybe

I find the idea that they are going to come back into vogue , esp here in the US, because "the Princess" wears them very unlikely..... I don't see anyone wearing huge, silly hats (like those worn at her wedding)

I did wear them at my first couple of jobs in my early 20's...hated them, plus the expense!

I do love wearing tights once the weather gets colder though....

Love all the colored and patterened tights. But as I get older, my legs are not as smooth or as "without blemishes" as they once were, so a light pantyhose makes them look nicer. Not a darker nude, but one to basically match the color of my skin.
I am not a fan of seeing ugly legs with dresses, ya know~

Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
What an odd thing to feel so passionate about. I think legs look fine with or without pantyhose, I don't think I'd notice either way, really. And how are they uncomfortable? They're the same as tights or leggings.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:11 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
What an odd thing to feel so passionate about. I think legs look fine with or without pantyhose, I don't think I'd notice either way, really. And how are they uncomfortable? They're the same as tights or leggings.
They're very uncomfortable for me. I am "hot blooded" and often find a room too warm when most others are comfortable. Panty-hose make my legs feel like sweaty sausages. Ah.. there's an image for you..

I am soooo glad that women don't have to wear them anymore, but I'm a live and let live person. If others love them, it doesn't bother me a bit.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:36 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Considering "nude" hose isn't very inclusive of people with my skin tone, I have always hated panty hose and wasted way too much time trying to find a matching shade and failing miserably. I don't mind patterned tights. Not a big fan of sheer hose, black can be chic, but that's about it.

I go bare legged 90% of the time (except for sometimes in the winter). With pumps? It really depends, but I go hose-less or sock-less most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty