Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

I also forego the defined waist, as a tall girl who notices that they rarely hit me right. I love wrap dresses, but need more that are cut in such a way that my boobs don't wanna fall out. I hate having to layer camis under my wrap dresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 07:38 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Why worry about the right fit? This outlet has dresses for women of all sizes

They look nice actually

I've been thinking more and more and more of starting my own business too. While I'm always interested in the food business, I'd love to get into the female clothing business. There's a LOT of women always looking for clothes. At least find a worthy female clothing business owner and pump money into her business and collect a share of the proceeds

Plus Size Ladies Clothing New Arrivals - Kiyonna

I hate how the prime retailers only target the fit females and there isn't much for the plus sizes. With this country getting bigger and bigger, plus sizes will be a real cash cow.

Perhaps the OP can imbibe some ideas from this retailer.

One of the first things you need to do - a good website, with a good tech team.

A facebook page.

Twitter feeds.

Stable investors.

And in no time........ you'll be in the money.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:39 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
You don't have to be fit to best a dress. It's all about the attitude and how you position the assets

Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I don't care for linen; my lap always looks wrinkled. I agree that dresses are often not long-waisted enough, and they are also difficult to find in tall. Pants aren't the only think that tall women wear. Dresses (and shirts) often need to be proportioned a little wider in the shoulder and definitely in the elbow placement and arm length for taller women. Three-quarter sleeves usually hit me below the elbow, and the fit is uncomfortable.

I like fuller skirts, at least an A-line. I would love a traditional shirtdress, darted through the bust and waist, comfortable through the shoulders and arms, and a fuller skirt. I wear jeans but blues are not my color--nor is black, so it would be nice to find dresses that aren't denim or black. I love the idea of the LBD but black does not look good on me. I've come to realize it and will not be buying black anymore.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:42 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
I always have issues with where the waist hits (too high) and how most dresses are created for larger hips. I always end up with these funny little "ears" on my side.

And I guess I'm fairly broad-shouldered because that can sometimes be an issue. Don't even get me started on sleeve length.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:11 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Another tall lady right here and length is often an issue. The past decade seems to have brought a trend for super short dresses, but the trend seems to have eased up as of late. I don't mind showing leg, I just don't want to be sitting on my bare ass when I take a seat.

The other big issue I have is in the waist. I guess I've just got a smaller waist than most ladies and there is always gapping. It's not so bad if there's a sash to make the waist fitted, but then I'm left with bunched up fabric and nothing but tie-waist dresses.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:03 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
YES to tall sizes! I am not even that tall and I always have issues with sleeve length and there is no room for broad shoulders of someone who isn't 5'3".

Old 12-01-2011, 03:41 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
I like a-lines, fuller skirts, wrap dresses. Longer lenghts - I've got a toddler so I'm wrestling her, the stroller and picking things up off the ground all the time...

Looking for dresses that travel well but don't look like a "travel dress" (nondescript black )

I attend a lot of holiday/formal/work events and parties. It's hard to find pretty sundresses for luncheons and dresses for nighttime parties that are a little more covered up. Every year when I'd look for a dress for the office party - everything was skimpy (short, no sleeves, strapless) -or a heavy beaded top with a crepe skirt. I didn't want to show too much skin but I didn't want to look frumpy either.

Nicer fabrics - I've got a Liz Claiborne wrap dress in silk that I paid $200 for to wear to my husband's retirement ceremony two years ago. I've worn it a least a dozen times since, get compliments everytime and I feel great in it.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:04 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I like a-lines, fuller skirts, wrap dresses. Longer lenghts - I've got a toddler so I'm wrestling her, the stroller and picking things up off the ground all the time...

Looking for dresses that travel well but don't look like a "travel dress" (nondescript black )

I attend a lot of holiday/formal/work events and parties. It's hard to find pretty sundresses for luncheons and dresses for nighttime parties that are a little more covered up. Every year when I'd look for a dress for the office party - everything was skimpy (short, no sleeves, strapless) -or a heavy beaded top with a crepe skirt. I didn't want to show too much skin but I didn't want to look frumpy either.

Nicer fabrics - I've got a Liz Claiborne wrap dress in silk that I paid $200 for to wear to my husband's retirement ceremony two years ago. I've worn it a least a dozen times since, get compliments everytime and I feel great in it.
I was thinking about how to reply to this thread, but you summed it up pretty nicely!

Not a mom to a toddler, empty nester here, and yes I need longer A-line dresses. I ride my bicycle and walk pretty much everywhere.

Sleeves please! Especially on dresses meant for fall and winter? If I always have to find "the perfect" sweater or blazer to go with the dress it kind of takes away from the whole "the ease of a dress" concept. Ditto for things that are so low-cut that one need a camisole.

Better quality fabrics. Yes please. What is with all the cheap, thin poly-spandex on dresses costing $100+ ? No thanks.

I agree we need dresses (and clothes in general) for the in-between set. Not 20-something-going-to-a-nightclub-skimpy and the "mother-of-the-bride" look. There must be some middle-ground?

Oh, and as the mother of a 20-something, we also need to think about work-appropriate clothes for that generation. Too many 20-somethings see "Summer Dresses" in the store and think they can wear the skimpy sundress to work. Wrong-o. We need cute, chic, work-appropriate dresses for the 20-something crowd.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:22 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I love wrap dresses too (so flattering), but I want the skirts to either fasten closed somehow or only wrap up top (which would make it a surplice, not a wrap I guess). I hate sitting down and having my skirt slithering open across my knees. I used to wear long wrap skirts all the time in the 90s, and that drove me nuts. Shirtdresses button closed, but I don't know what real wraps do. The dress I have now is only a mock wrap.

Also, great comments, plaidmom. I completely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty