Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 04:32 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,556 times

Advertisements

OK girls

I'm over 40 ... waaaaaay over.

And I need to spruce up my work wardrobe in a hurry!

I just got through a day of shopping for clothes and I am exhausted and near tears. I've found very little to wear, other than a couple of play-it-safe suits. Bring on the gray and black, I guess.

Everything is either too young -- ie, mini-skirts, tights .. or too old .. elastic waistband, cut too large in the waist.

I've looked everywhere for age-appropriate clothing that is still fun and not too old. Chicos, Coldwater Creek, J Jill, Talbots.

Bleh!

The clothes are either boring (I just can't work baby blue or seafoam green or peach. No bright colors except for cranberry. Cranberry is everywhere -- like it's the only appropriate color? What is up with that? ) -- or too over the top (check out the zebra print blazer at Chicos.).

Chicos and CC in particular were frustrating. Everything is so baggy in the waist I looked pregnant! And the pants are too short -- ?? Ditto with the "brands" at places like Dillards and Macy's -- ie, Jones New York.

Where do YOU shop? Any secrets to share? What about online retailers?

Thanks for letting me vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 05:29 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,610 times
Ann Taylor Loft works for me!

Old 11-30-2011, 05:31 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,220 times
Are you looking for 'business casual' or more formal clothes for work? If the latter,
Talbots online has a cute houndstooth check jacket and skirt and a flannel jacket in vibrant green that would be striking with a black pencil skirt. If business casual is more your speed, how about nice black pants and a jewel-toned pullover and cardigan from Lands' End?

If you can wait a couple of months, spring clothes will be out. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2011, 05:37 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
I still get most of my basics from places like Gap and J. Crew.

I get inspiration from Anthropologie. I buy stuff on sale there occasionally, but mostly I just do a riff on their looks and find fun/trendy stuff at places like TJ Maxx.

You can also "modify" trends for the younger set. Tights and mini-skirts for example. Colored tights are fun (and warm!). Just pair yours with a classic knee-length a-line skirt and some updated pumps or oxfords.

As I age, I honestly just don't want to think about clothes so much, so I've kind of adopted a uniform (Think "Steve jobs" or "Diane Keaton"). Black jersey or grey flannel skirts, dark-wash straight-leg jeans, white t-shirts and yep, black mock-t's. Add a blazer or cardigan and I'm good to go.

I add color with accessories. Tights, scarves, a great pair of earrings.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:48 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post

As I age, I honestly just don't want to think about clothes so much, so I've kind of adopted a uniform (Think "Steve jobs" or "Diane Keaton").
She's Chico's new spokesperson.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:52 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times
My dress clothes are from a small and independent online company in England that offers classic styles in high quality fabrics. My casual clothes are from a small and independent online company in Wisconsin that supports women-owned co-ops and fair trade. I knit all my sweaters and scarves.

Except jeans, I don't buy anything from chain clothing retailers or department stores. When possible, I bought clothes from local shops in countries we visited.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Kohl's, Marshall's, and oddly enough - Walmart's. I got a pair of black Lee pants after searching futilely for a pair of Dockers that fit - I'm short, -and- full-figured, -and- short-waisted. Those "belly trimmers" are elastic which accentuates a pooch rather than eliminating it - and all womens' Dockers now come with "belly trimmers" or waist slimmers or whatever their catch-phrase is this week. I needed a pair of pants that sit -on- the hip instead of under it or over it..just slightly below the waist. If it's too far below, it slides down and I have to constantly hitch them up. If it's too high, it looks like there's no space between my boobs and my waist.

Lees actually looked perfect - a little too long in the hem but the rest of it draped over me flawlessly.
Who knew Walmart would have something I'd actually be willing to pay for.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:00 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Add in - same boat but I can't find anything that fits (small and petite).

Old 11-30-2011, 06:01 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,235 times
Is Dress Barn still in business? They have great clothes for all ages, especially over-40s ... stylish, yet classic. (Yes, clothes can be stylish AND classic).

Old 11-30-2011, 06:07 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
As I age, I honestly just don't want to think about clothes so much, so I've kind of adopted a uniform (Think "Steve jobs" or "Diane Keaton"). Black jersey or grey flannel skirts, dark-wash straight-leg jeans, white t-shirts and yep, black mock-t's. Add a blazer or cardigan and I'm good to go.
That's a good idea. I've sort of done the "uniform" thing with my casual, stay-at-home clothes, I just buy more of the same whenever the old things wear out. When I was younger I was kind of a clothes horse and when I got pregnant I remember telling people to get used to seeing me in the same couple of outfits every week because I didn't want to spend the $$ for "temporary" clothes. I feel that way about everyday now . A couple things that look good...buy them in multiples...DONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty