Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 10:20 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,528,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Every man should have a pair of good wingtip dress shoes. A good pair of wing tips can last for at least 30 years if you take care of them. I have a pair I keep with shoe trees in a cloth shoe bag, so that I always have a pair of polished shoes ready to wear with a suit. When I was wearing a suit every day, I would rotate three pairs. Some of the better shoe companies will actually refurbish these shoes.

Wing tips aren't for suits tho........they are more for dressy casual stuff if you're gonna wear them IMO....for current trends anyways. I dunno about 30 yrs. ago.

My fiance has a pair of wingtip styled boots that look really fashionable & super sexy with loose straight or rolled jeans tho.....or casual slacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 11:51 AM

10,307 posts, read 10,561,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Wing tips aren't for suits tho........they are more for dressy casual stuff if you're gonna wear them IMO....for current trends anyways. I dunno about 30 yrs. ago.

My fiance has a pair of wingtip styled boots that look really fashionable & super sexy with loose straight or rolled jeans tho.....or casual slacks.

There are different kinds of wingtips. They have become a more casual shoe since the days of our fathers, grandfathers (or probably great grandfather in your case) wearing black Florsheim wingtips in the 1950s and 60s. Johnston & Murphy has come out with more casual wingtip shoes. See https://www.johnstonmurphy.com/search?q=wingtip&sz=24

I have never worn wingtips with jeans, I usually wear running shoes with jeans. The traditional black wingtips are very appropriate with a suit. I worked for one of the large public accounting firms where starched white shirts and navy blue and charcoal gray suits were the norm. Most men wore wingtips. One of the reasons were these shoes held up much better in Pittsburgh winters than Italian loafers. Regarding current trends see:

https://www.gq.com/story/best-wingtip-shoes-for-work

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-f...wingtip-shoes/

https://www.fashionbeans.com/article...wingtip-shoes/

Old 06-02-2020, 01:37 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,528,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
There are different kinds of wingtips. They have become a more casual shoe since the days of our fathers, grandfathers (or probably great grandfather in your case) wearing black Florsheim wingtips in the 1950s and 60s. Johnston & Murphy has come out with more casual wingtip shoes. See https://www.johnstonmurphy.com/search?q=wingtip&sz=24

I have never worn wingtips with jeans, I usually wear running shoes with jeans. The traditional black wingtips are very appropriate with a suit. I worked for one of the large public accounting firms where starched white shirts and navy blue and charcoal gray suits were the norm. Most men wore wingtips. One of the reasons were these shoes held up much better in Pittsburgh winters than Italian loafers.

Wingtip shoes are not for today's formal contemporary fashion for men because it doesn't match the straight & clean lines men wear today. It's not like they wear the cut of trousers our Dads & grandparents wear....ita! My grandpa probably likes Johnston Murphy...& the cut of pants that go with it. There's nothing wrong it.........I'm just giving my opinion on a little more contemporary style....something that says success AND fashionable.

For formal business tho like the O.P. asked.........it's more fashionable to go with a sleek & clean "dress shoe" IMO. If it's casual business dress....like charcoal or lighter gray suits.....ita. But my fiance works in a setting where lighter gray or brown suits are not really worn. Dark navy blue or black. Or.........he's super casual in loose rolled jeans & wingtip boots (edit: or loafers with chinos & a sweater & no socks).....& that's a super sexy look on him. It's funny how business dress has changed so much from my grandparents day.....it's super formal business to the nines or jeans.......nothing in between. Just say no to khakis.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 06-02-2020 at 02:00 PM..

Old 06-04-2020, 07:49 AM

20,251 posts, read 19,826,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You know you're an old guy when you have a pair of wingtips.
Yup! I’m 67 and I just bought two pair, LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty