Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:48 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I splurge every month by using Proactiv. I don't like all the chemicals it contains, but after battling a bad acne flare up this year, I decided to give it a try. The automatic charges for no reason are getting ridiculous and I'm going to cancel (they've charged me $70 this month so far). But it does work. Guess I need an alternative now. Peroxide-based systems work best for me.
You might want to check out Carley's Clear and Smooth Acne Treatment - its made in the USA, all ingredients printed on label, and it works like a dream. I get recurrent acne on my upper chest area and this is the only product that keeps it completely clear.

They offer a no questions asked, no time limit return policy, which includes return shipping fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 12:23 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I splurge every month by using Proactiv. I don't like all the chemicals it contains, but after battling a bad acne flare up this year, I decided to give it a try. The automatic charges for no reason are getting ridiculous and I'm going to cancel (they've charged me $70 this month so far). But it does work. Guess I need an alternative now. Peroxide-based systems work best for me.

My splurge is my foundation; pure pressed minerals by Jane Iredale. It is a perfect match to my fair skin with pink tones. Other foundations are too yellow. I also buy her blush. I spend about $40 every 3-4 months which I really don't think is that bad.

Everyone has their fave mascara and mine is Mabelline Full N Soft. I do a coat of regular black on the bottom and a top coat of waterproof. I've found it works best for holding the curl and not flaking and with the non-waterproof coat underneath, I don't have to get out the jackhammer to remove it at night. And it can be found at any drugstore!

I don't do mani/pedis. Polishing my nails is pointless when I chip them a minute later. I do my own pedis in the summer only.

I use Sally's version of Argan Oil for my frizzy hair and love it. It runs about $8.
Try Clinque 3 step system. Its good for skin that can tolerate the chemicals as you've stated yours can. Its actually the Toner that is pretty harsh, the face wash isn't as harsh and the moisturizer is very good. You can also try Mary Kay 3 step system. I know lots of people who use it and love it.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:05 PM

541 posts, read 861,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
What clinque foundation do you use and your shade? Also what is your price point you want to stay around? I can recommend lots of brands you can get samples to see if you like it.
Thanks for the offer!
Currently I'm using Super City Block Oil-Free Daily Face Protector SPF 40. I've been covering over it gently with Almost Bronzer SPF 15 in Light/Medium. This combo is somewhat working for me as my skin is fair but has both ruddy and yellow tones. The bronzer seems to even things out when I layer it gently on top. Every time a salesperson has chosen a foundation for me, they claim that I need something with a yellow/orange base. The foundations end up looking too yellow and then I appear to have sallow skin.

Forgot to add that my price point is probably no more than $30.00 for a foundation as I've spent up to $50.00 and ended up with nothing more than a bad breakout and goopy looking skin (expensive doesn't always mean better for me).

Last edited by Tantamount; 12-15-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 07:04 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Thanks for the offer!
Currently I'm using Super City Block Oil-Free Daily Face Protector SPF 40. I've been covering over it gently with Almost Bronzer SPF 15 in Light/Medium. This combo is somewhat working for me as my skin is fair but has both ruddy and yellow tones. The bronzer seems to even things out when I layer it gently on top. Every time a salesperson has chosen a foundation for me, they claim that I need something with a yellow/orange base. The foundations end up looking too yellow and then I appear to have sallow skin.

Forgot to add that my price point is probably no more than $30.00 for a foundation as I've spent up to $50.00 and ended up with nothing more than a bad breakout and goopy looking skin (expensive doesn't always mean better for me).
Ok I recommend:

Shiseido 'The Makeup' Powdery Foundation $29.50 or the Shiseido 'The Makeup' Perfect Smoothing Compact $31.00. Both are powder foundations but the Smoothing Compact has more coverage where as Powdery is more sheer. Both should have a shade match for you and this brand is defiantly suited for sensitive skin types and sold at Nordstroms.

Cover FX Powder foundation $35.00. Dermatologist recommend this brand for people with various skin issues and those that cannot wear chemical based makeup. Your shade is probably E40 in this and its at Sephora.

Continue using the moisturizer because that is where you'll get your SPF. SPF maxes out at 30 so its not necessary for your foundation to have SPF since the moisturizer is already at the SPF max.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:41 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
fun thread. I prefer the natural look so don't wear makeup except occasionally mascara and lip gloss. My splurges:

Hair care: Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm conditioner plus a dime size amount of Moroccanoil for soft, shiney and frizz free hair.
Skin care: Obagi retin-A and Nu Derm Blender each night. Expensive, but reduces wrinkles and keeps my middle age skin soft, even in tone and age spot free. I use Oil of Olay moisturizer which is very inexpensive, though. Expensive Fallene Cotz SPF 58 tinted sunscreen is a must, too.
Nails- I get a professional manicure with a buff instead of polish twice a month.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:55 PM

699 posts, read 2,219,216 times
hair: sally's - the one and only argan oil poo, cond, oil, & curl up cream.
skin: aveda outer peace face wash, witch hazel, alba botanicals for body
lotion
makeup: any drugstore, soft black mascara waterproof under $10,
great lash, loreal, revlon, cover girl...
almay color match concealer and foundation (very rarely worn though),
any drugstore blush or bronzer,
and i swear by burts bee's original lip balm, and their new lip tint/balm
is on my spring wish list (don't wear a lot of color on my lips)
nails: never polish fingernails, and do toes in the summer only, DIY

no mani, pedi, or facials. haircuts every 90 days. home hair color
from sally's, soy based color.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:35 PM

541 posts, read 861,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Ok I recommend:

Shiseido 'The Makeup' Powdery Foundation $29.50 or the Shiseido 'The Makeup' Perfect Smoothing Compact $31.00. Both are powder foundations but the Smoothing Compact has more coverage where as Powdery is more sheer. Both should have a shade match for you and this brand is defiantly suited for sensitive skin types and sold at Nordstroms.

Cover FX Powder foundation $35.00. Dermatologist recommend this brand for people with various skin issues and those that cannot wear chemical based makeup. Your shade is probably E40 in this and its at Sephora.

Continue using the moisturizer because that is where you'll get your SPF. SPF maxes out at 30 so its not necessary for your foundation to have SPF since the moisturizer is already at the SPF max.
I'll look into those options. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:29 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
I can't find the post -- it may not even be in this thread -- but many many thanks to the person that said to wipe off the mascara brush before using it.... my lashes look PERFECT!

Old 12-16-2011, 08:58 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I can't find the post -- it may not even be in this thread -- but many many thanks to the person that said to wipe off the mascara brush before using it.... my lashes look PERFECT!
It does help some. I tried what Twinkle said about doing the tips first this morning, but it didn't work well for me. I'll give it more shots with the myriad of worthless mascaras I have!

Old 12-18-2011, 05:53 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
I splurge on most of my makeup and face skincare. I'm one who likes Clinique products (I tend to get cystic hormonal acne once a month and it's one of the only lines that doesn't cause reactions in me), so it's what I use for much of my skincare products (serums, lotion) and some makeup (foundation, concealer). I think people either love or hate Clinique. I stick to MAC for eyeshadow and blush, theirs is the best IMO though I like Estee Lauder and Lancome also. It's an investment but deals can be found (especially love Clinique bonus times!). I splurge on shampoo and conditioner since I have long, thick hair and find there is a difference when I use a higher-end products as compared to something cheap. I like Redken, Matrix, Nexxus etc. and these can be found at mid-range salons in my area and there are always sales.

I will purchase some lipsticks and mascaras from the drugstore, I usually stick with Revlon and Loreal. I like Almay foundation, it doesn't make me breakout (a lot of high-end foundations do). I don't spend too much on nail products (I'm fine with Sally Hansen and Revlon products), and various body items like washes, lotions, soap. I like Cetaphil, Ponds cleansing wipes, and Vaseline Intensive Rescue lotion. I try different stuff out, depending on what's on sale. I have some drugstore hair styling products, didn't splurge since I don't use mousse or gel much, but they're not that good.

Great thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty