Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:31 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,312 times

Advertisements

What beauty products do you splurge on and what products you don't think live up to their luxury?

I don't splurge on body care. Shower gels, exfoliators, lotion, body butters etc. I get from Target. I've used Bath & Body works body care before and my Target stuff has worked just as good if not better. I haven't tried any of the higher end body care products to see if there is a difference because I'm happy with the results I get from the cheapy stuff.

Skin care I do splurge on because my skin is very sensitive and I also wear makeup daily. So I can't just use anything when it comes to skin care and for my skin needs, I do notice a difference between drug store and higher end brands.

Hair care I splurge on but since Sally's have generics to a lot of the luxury brands, its really not a splurge. I can get a conditioner that would cost me $50 for $7 at Sally's and it'll work just as good as the name brand. The only hair care product I splurge on is serum/gloss because it doesn't have a generic.

Makeup I splurge on because I think higher end makeup is more consistent than drugstore. I like my makeup to stay on all day without having to reapply and most drugstore makeup longevity is not that great. I do use drugstore blush and I think you can get some fairly good drugstore makeup it just depends on your personal preference/needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 05:54 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Skinceuticals products. The B5 gel and the C Ferrulic is worth every penny. I get tons of compliments on my radiant skin.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:01 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,648 times
Hair care I definitely splurge because I notice my hair gets extremely dry. I pay around 48 bucks every few months to have it sent from new york to seattle =) . 3 small bottles of shampoo, conditioner and moisturizer.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:42 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,792 times
Skin care - I love bath and body works lotions and shower gels. but for a basic good brand i always use Dove soap and beauty products. i love their beauty bar and i noticed my skin feels a lot softer when i get out of the shower when i use dove beauty bar rather than cheap hotel soap or Dial soap. i end up spending quite a bit on skin care my fav places to shop are bath and body works,, carols daughter and beauty 4 ashes have excellent products but they are pricey.

Nail care - i get gel manicures and pedicures once a month. sometimes i do them by myself and it is just as good as at the salon

Hair care- i buy a lot of hair care products since african american hair is prone to dryness. i relx my hair so i have to take extrsa care of it. i go to sally beauty or some other beauty store and buy shampoo conditioners oils for hot oil treatments. in short i have pretty soft hair

makeup- i LOVE makeup and end up spending too much on it. i dont really need foundation but i like to have a good quality brand avaliable. i love eyeshadow, eyeliner, and lipstick and spend a lot on it. fake eyelashes or a good quality mascara are also must haves

the only i dont splurge on is teeth whitener Crest is a pretty good brand and i have stuck with it ever since also i never color my hair to damaging and it looks very unatural

please excuse my spelling

Old 12-07-2011, 07:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Frankly, I'm sick and tired of spending a small fortune on "miracles" that don't do any miracles. And God knows I read reviews!

My latest idiocies: after reading overwhelmingly good reviews for these 2 products I bought them.

https://store.drhauschka.com/b2c/eco...=1&itemNum=REM - Does it do any damage? No. Does it do anything? No.

lights, camera, lashes! natural mascara - tarte cosmetics - This has to be THE worst mascara I've encountered in my entire life! I bet Wet 'n' Wild might make a better one! It just makes me sick thinking of all the expensive worthless mascaras I've bought... Quite a few of the famous Lancome, EL, Dior, you name it! Now I'm thinking of the last resort I haven't tried - this weird applicator a make-up artist said was the best!

Sephora: Givenchy Phenomen'Eyes Mascara: Mascara

Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 PM

Oh I forgot about nail care. Yes I splurge on it as there's nothing like a good mani/pedi but since I felt I was spending too much money at the salon. I decided to choose to either get my hair done or just get mani/pedi but not both. So I learned to do my own hair and just go to the salon for mani/pedi.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Frankly, I'm sick and tired of spending a small fortune on "miracles" that don't do any miracles. And God knows I read reviews!

My latest idiocies: after reading overwhelmingly good reviews for these 2 products I bought them.

https://store.drhauschka.com/b2c/eco...=1&itemNum=REM - Does it do any damage? No. Does it do anything? No.

lights, camera, lashes! natural mascara - tarte cosmetics - This has to be THE worst mascara I've encountered in my entire life! I bet Wet 'n' Wild might make a better one! It just makes me sick thinking of all the expensive worthless mascaras I've bought... Quite a few of the famous Lancome, EL, Dior, you name it! Now I'm thinking of the last resort I haven't tried - this weird applicator a make-up artist said was the best!

**Sephora: Givenchy Phenomen'Eyes Mascara: Mascara**
I'm using that mascara now and I do love it. It makes me look like I have false lashes because the bristles are so short and thin that it will get every lash but you have to be careful as I've poked myself in the eye a couple times trying to rush hee hee. I've only tried Dior Show and Givenchy and Givenchy wins hands down. After I use up the Givenchy I'm going to try Giorgio Armani Maestro and see how it compares. Clinque is also suppose to have a good one.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:34 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
I'm using that mascara now and I do love it.
Go figure... The clumpiest mess I've ever seen!

Quote:
I've only tried Dior Show and Givenchy and Givenchy wins hands down. After I use up the Givenchy I'm going to try Giorgio Armani Maestro and see how it compares. Clinque is also suppose to have a good one.
If I remember correctly, I tried this worthless POS: Sephora: Dior DiorShow Iconic Mascara: Mascara

I've been so frustrated with mascaras lately, I wanna scream! After every $20-30 waste of money, I end up going to Maybelline Great Lash! How pathetic is that?! A coworker gave me some green Clinique sample which was half-as@ decent. Perhaps that's next (don't recall the exact name). I'm a little "allergic" to Clinique because of a "great" experience with their 3-step thing eons ago... I've never been broken-out like after this crap got on my skin!

I'm not sure about that Givenchy applicator... It's truly weird. I just looked up Armani Maestro as I haven't heard of it or considered it so far. It has a skinny brush that tends to work better for me, but it appears to be plastic... sort of like some of Cover Girl's... I find it hilarious when some sales girl tries to be "knowledgable"... It depends on what you want... Hell, don't we all want it all?! Length, volume, AND curl! Some young girls on youtube recommend using two different mascaras to achieve that. It kinda works...

Old 12-07-2011, 09:49 PM

181 posts, read 684,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post

Sephora: Givenchy Phenomen'Eyes Mascara: Mascara

I love Lights Camera Lashes by Tarte. It's awesome ! Clump free and creates long full lashes. It also has great ingredients.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:55 PM

181 posts, read 684,490 times
Skincare - REN (simply the best IMO) ($32-$80 each product)
Hair- Giovanni shampoo & conditioner ($8) and Argan oil ($30)
Body- Carols Daughter body wash ($14) Josie Maran whipped argan oil body butter ($35)
Makeup - Josie Maran powder ($30), Tarte illuminator ($30) and Urban decay for eyes (varies)
Nails - cut them short every week nice & clean.

I don't care how much I spend on body/hair/skin products as long as they work and the ingredients are natural and high quality. I don't want any cheap chemicals absorbed into my skin. No parabens no fragrances, no sulfates etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty