Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 02:23 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont use those terms, i would just say you look like an idiot. i would never take someone who dresses like that seriously. forget about the bs that you dont care about other people's opinions. thats the whole reason you dress like that, you thought it looked cool. but now people have actual expectations of you and you have responsibilities and being "cool" is no longer important. so now, you want other people to think you arent a worthless loser. so start dressing like an adult that has a brain.
Minus the "idiot" label, I agree completely.

Dressing a certain way because you like a style of music just means that you care too much about the style. If you are a musician - different story. But I don't think you are.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:50 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

Dressing a certain way because you like a style of music just means that you care too much about the style. If you are a musician - different story. But I don't think you are.
Fashion is a part of music. Nothing wrong with grabbing fashion inspiration from anywhere. Be it music, tv, friends, family members, internal etc. Its a creative process that should reflect how you feel inside and the type of person you want to convey to the world. Your clothing should make you feel confident and comfortable. Currently the OP is getting that itch that it may be time for change and I do believe it is if you would look at the age and society standards of a timeline that is reasonable to be put together a bit more.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:27 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont use those terms, i would just say you look like an idiot. i would never take someone who dresses like that seriously. forget about the bs that you dont care about other people's opinions. thats the whole reason you dress like that, you thought it looked cool. but now people have actual expectations of you and you have responsibilities and being "cool" is no longer important. so now, you want other people to think you arent a worthless loser. so start dressing like an adult that has a brain.
I didn't dress like that because I think it was cool. I dressed like that cuz it reflected my interests and mindset. Now it still does, but to a lesser degree. I never wear or do anything just because it is considered cool. I am not one of those kids you thought you saw.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Do your loved ones feel it's holding you back from getting a job or finding a mate, etc?

While I agree that 25 is high time to start dressing like a grown-up, that's not to say there are no situations where you can't dress more casual and have it be appropriate.

Any pics? How baggy/sagged are we talking about the jeans? Are you wearing XXXL Marc Ecko hoodies everyday for every situation? What's the scoop?
I don't sag. I just like to have space and not have my pubic region oppressed in some tight pants you see these new kids wearing. I don't dress like that all the time obviously. When it's business, it's business so it doesn't hold me back in that sense. (I am in real estate and planning to be a cop, believe it or not) They feel like in other situations it might affect something on the other hand, like finding a mate. I don't care about that part though. My woman will accept me the way I am so I am talking in general, like when you go out with friends or what not.
I liked the point made about Common. He kinda mixes it up, never looking too urban.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:41 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
I didn't dress like that because I think it was cool. I dressed like that cuz it reflected my interests and mindset. Now it still does, but to a lesser degree. I never wear or do anything just because it is considered cool. I am not one of those kids you thought you saw.
Depends on what your goals are.

Personally I think it looks moronic, but your not trying to impress me.

If your 'peers' dress the same, and you are content with them, the women you date are fine with that and you are fine with them.

AND (The big one) your career interests are inline with the way you dress.
(Music, producing etc...)

AND YOU WANT TO... stick with what you got.

The meer fact you started this thread shows this is not the case.

Take me:
I prefer to dress as I am right now. Jeans and a sweatshirt.

Not tight, not baggy, fitting and clean. (Jeans are worn, but no holes)

HOWEVER: I wear Brooks Brothers for work... I'm not Bill Gates who can wear sneakers with my suit!

Nor are you.

Dress for where you want to go, nor where you are.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

I used to be.
I used to rap. Still do sometimes, just got other more important things going so don't have time for it now.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Depends on what your goals are.

Personally I think it looks moronic, but your not trying to impress me.

If your 'peers' dress the same, and you are content with them, the women you date are fine with that and you are fine with them.

AND (The big one) your career interests are inline with the way you dress.
(Music, producing etc...)

AND YOU WANT TO... stick with what you got.

The meer fact you started this thread shows this is not the case.

Take me:
I prefer to dress as I am right now. Jeans and a sweatshirt.

Not tight, not baggy, fitting and clean. (Jeans are worn, but no holes)

HOWEVER: I wear Brooks Brothers for work... I'm not Bill Gates who can wear sneakers with my suit!

Nor are you.

Dress for where you want to go, nor where you are.
I hear ya.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:26 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
It depends on what field you work in. Always dress for the occasion & situation. That means if you're a HVAC contractor Carhartt & Wranglers are a better fit than RL and Club Monaco. But if you're a file clerk for a NY law firm you're probably going to dropping $$ at Banana Republic & Zara.

Also realize that urbanwear/streetwear has changed in the past 5 yrs and oversized baggy True Religions, Nike hi-tops with fat tongues, tall tee's & even BAPE bling are out. If you're going to continue with streetwear don't date yourself & keep up on trends by persusing all the usual blogs (Hypebeast, slamXhype, SF, niketalk, etc)

Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
It depends on what field you work in. Always dress for the occasion & situation. That means if you're a HVAC contractor Carhartt & Wranglers are a better fit than RL and Club Monaco. But if you're a file clerk for a NY law firm you're probably going to dropping $$ at Banana Republic & Zara.

Also realize that urbanwear/streetwear has changed in the past 5 yrs and oversized baggy True Religions, Nike hi-tops with fat tongues, tall tee's & even BAPE bling are out. If you're going to continue with streetwear don't date yourself & keep up on trends by persusing all the usual blogs (Hypebeast, slamXhype, SF, niketalk, etc)
I don't follow the trends. I set them.
-a hip hop saying.

I don't like the new styles, and I def don't like the skinny outfits lil wayne, kanye west look. They look like q ue e rs, no offense to gays. Latest styles are wack, just like the latest rap music, which shouldn't be included in hip hop as a whole to begin with.
In regards to jobs and field, I already covered it-Of course I will wear what I need to wear. The issue is wearing certain clothes in my free time.

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 12-08-2011 at 08:53 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I think Common is a good example of how to dress like that in a mature fashion. Google some pictures. He looks great.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...F-rp0QH26omwBw
That style looks nothing like what the OP described, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
I don't follow the trends. I set them.
-a hip hop saying.
But, but, but, if you can label that "style" as "hip hop" then it's already a trend, no? You can think you're an individual by thinking you're making decisive decisions of "style" but EVERYONE ends up being influenced one way or another, that's what happens in a society, influence is going to happen.

Quote:
I don't like the new styles, and I def don't like the skinny outfits lil wayne, kanye west look. They look like q ue e rs, no offense to gays. Latest styles are wack, just like the latest rap music, which shouldn't be included in hip hop as a whole to begin with.
In regards to jobs and field, I already covered it-Of course I will wear what I need to wear. The issue is wearing certain clothes in my free time.
Not sure why "fitted" clothes are "q ue e r" to you. Where what you feel comfortable in, you'll find out if there are any limitations to it or not and whether you'll let that bother you.

I don't invest much interest in the "psychology" of clothes, to a certain extent I do but not so much that I let my "identity" come into question when I wear an article of clothing. It's just clothes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty