Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:22 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,309,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
This thread makes it seem as if poeple w/o a nose bridge are inferior
You're the one dragging your inferiority complex into every discussion you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 10:34 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,060,196 times
I'm a guy, and I think you are beautiful! Your nose is fine. I'm not against plastic surgery, but I am against unnecessary plastic surgery, and surgery for minimal changes. Unless a person's nose is like Pinocchio, then leave it be.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:04 AM

78,536 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Soliciting opinions. If you are generally anti-plastic surgery, what you have to say carries a lot less weight in this discussion.

For about 5 years I've been trying to sock away money for a nose job. I am a black female living in New York City. My father is from the Commonwealth of Dominica and my mother is African-American. I don't like to think of myself as particularly vain, but I'd like to look the very best that I can. I want a higher nose bridge. I have no problem with the width of my nose, the size of my nostrils, or the shape of the bulbous lower portion of my nose. I simply want my nose bridge raised.

I've discussed this with people I've dated and people I've been close to (who are mostly white) and I get reactions ranging from shock ("Why would you do something like that?") to the worst reaction of all: "Do you want to look white?"

The answer as far as I can discern is no, I don't want to be white, and I have a great life. My twin sister has a higher nose bridge than I do (we are fraternal twins) and I want her nose bridge. I don't see how that's wanting to be European.

(Just as a note: the profile photo I have is not greatly descriptive of my lack of nose bridge since my face is at an angle)

Of course, there's always the argument that black people in Western culture have internalized Western standards of beauty, but that's a statement that stops the discussion dead in its tracks as it's impossible to abstract yourself from society. Entirely circular, not that the point doesn't have any merit.

Thoughts?
1. You are already very good looking.
2. Plastic surgery doesn't always end as well as one would hope.
3. People get plastic surgery all the time for a variety of reasons so if it's something you really want then go for it and the people trying to tell you what you should do with your body in this case can deal with it.

P.S. "want to look white" people are quite likely projecting their own issues onto you. White people tan all the time, curl their hair, blacks straighten their hair, butt implants, breast implants etc etc etc. Trying to turn the discussion into some racially motivated procedure is rude at best.

Good luck.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:04 AM

164 posts, read 186,671 times
Quote:
I don't have any psychological problems and I know I'm not hideous. There are many improvements I wish to make on myself both internally and externally. I'm not crazy enough to think I'm flawless.
You're far from hideous, which is why I said you have psychological problems.

Sorry, if I hurt your feelings. I just called it the way I saw it.

I just hope you don't get caught up in the materialism and selfishness of the world.

Your looks are a gift, and you may be fortunate enough to have them for many years, but eventually they will fade and wilt like a flower.

It's just the way it is.

If for some reason you are considering getting this surgery because of your perception of how others value you, then you are running with the wrong crowd.

You are beautiful as you are. Be thankful, as some people are not nearly as fortunate as you.

Last edited by Kansarado; 01-14-2012 at 11:25 AM..

Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 PM

26,825 posts, read 22,597,885 times
Quote:
Soliciting opinions. If you are generally anti-plastic surgery, what you have to say carries a lot less weight in this discussion.

For about 5 years I've been trying to sock away money for a nose job. I am a black female living in New York City. My father is from the Commonwealth of Dominica and my mother is African-American. I don't like to think of myself as particularly vain, but I'd like to look the very best that I can. I want a higher nose bridge. I have no problem with the width of my nose, the size of my nostrils, or the shape of the bulbous lower portion of my nose. I simply want my nose bridge raised.

I've discussed this with people I've dated and people I've been close to (who are mostly white) and I get reactions ranging from shock ("Why would you do something like that?") to the worst reaction of all: "Do you want to look white?"

The answer as far as I can discern is no, I don't want to be white, and I have a great life. My twin sister has a higher nose bridge than I do (we are fraternal twins) and I want her nose bridge. I don't see how that's wanting to be European.

(Just as a note: the profile photo I have is not greatly descriptive of my lack of nose bridge since my face is at an angle)

Of course, there's always the argument that black people in Western culture have internalized Western standards of beauty, but that's a statement that stops the discussion dead in its tracks as it's impossible to abstract yourself from society. Entirely circular, not that the point doesn't have any merit.

Thoughts?
I looked at your picture; I don't understand much in plastic surgery, but you know what? I perfectly understand what you are talking about.
It's about bringing your face to a perfect proportion ( or to a more perfect as possible.) That's why I see why you are talking about that bridge of your nose. Can you live without it? ( plastic surgery that is.) Definitely.
But I see how your eyes are automatically trying to correct what you see as an imperfection in the whole structure ( of your face.)
The thing that I don't know though, is how much this *imperfection* gives you a character? (Don't forget that our imperfections sometimes become our attributes and give us a character. So keep that in mind, before comparing your nose with your sister's. )

Last edited by erasure; 01-14-2012 at 02:16 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 01:52 PM

18,413 posts, read 19,047,428 times
do what makes you happy many people are "against" plastic surgery because they don't have the money for it. are to scared to do it. some people are happy enough with how they look and others may not have aged enough to see their face change

Old 01-14-2012, 01:55 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,500,022 times
Nice hair.

Good news is that the cosmetic surgeons are very good working on the nose. They have great results with cartilage and rarely screw up work on the nose. A friend of mine got hit right across the bridge of the nose with a baseball bat and looked like a gorilla until they worked on him and ended up with a perfect nose.

So as much as I oppose plastic surgery in general, I say go for it.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:18 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,402,957 times
Wow. Your nose is cute, and I really do think it compliments your face. I say don't do it, but it's your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
do what makes you happy many people are "against" plastic surgery because they don't have the money for it. are to scared to do it. some people are happy enough with how they look and others may not have aged enough to see their face change
I'm one of those many people who are against plastic surgery for cosmetic reasons, but it's not because I don't have money or am scare to get it. I think it's very important for me to understand how to love myself internally and externally.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:30 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,283,461 times
I'm not against plastic surgery, but I think you look great. The only thing that would make me hesitate is the scarring issue. I would definitely do more research on that. Good luck whatever you decide!

Old 01-14-2012, 04:18 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,004,365 times
xxbabeechick,

You've GOT to be kidding. You look GREAT. Don't do a thing (but maybe take self-defense classes to protect yourself from horny guys).

Seriously, you look fantastic. God blessed you mucho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty