Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:02 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
One thing that needs to end is shorts being labeled "short shorts" just because they are not knee length.
I know! Short for men is long for women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
like i said, if the song hadnt been put out that phrase would probably not be used today.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:53 PM

What i think is funny is all the threads in forums talking about how guys want to have more variety in the clothes they wear or things they do regarding their bodies. Shorter shorts, short shorts, kilts, skirts, mini skirts, long hair, earrings, nail polish, etc a lot of guys want to do any and/or all of these things. However even though tons of guys say "I want to" theyre overrruled by a small amount of people who say "eww" or "that looks gay". Are we the majority so controlled by a handful of ppl or do we not do it because deep down inside we agree with them?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
What i think is funny is all the threads in forums talking about how guys want to have more variety in the clothes they wear or things they do regarding their bodies. Shorter shorts, short shorts, kilts, skirts, mini skirts, long hair, earrings, nail polish, etc a lot of guys want to do any and/or all of these things. However even though tons of guys say "I want to" theyre overrruled by a small amount of people who say "eww" or "that looks gay". Are we the majority so controlled by a handful of ppl or do we not do it because deep down inside we agree with them?
I laugh when people talk about how individual they are. Maybe only 5-10% people truly think for themselves instead of just echoing what the mob says.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:59 PM

yeah theyre individuals in the privacy of their own home. They change when they walk through the front door

Old 01-22-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
yeah theyre individuals in the privacy of their own home. They change when they walk through the front door
I'm annoyed at how few are accepting of short shorts on men. Even supposedly 'open-minded' people. Do they have short memories? Why did nobody have a problem with that back in the 80s? The shorts today are more ridiculous if you ask me. What I find more peculiar is the dichotomy; women in the US and Australia under say 30 almost universally wear short shorts (that's the fashion), while men wear long shorts. In Europe longer shorts are more popular for women for some reason. They don't feel the pressure to always have to look sexy. In the past things were equal (for awhile in the 90s I noticed women favouring long shorts) but it's weird fashion is become less uni-sex in a way, as girls want to look more sexy. The casual 90s are out for females. That's why I often see lesbians wearing long shorts.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:11 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
When I'm doing deadlifts/squats at the gym or when I run, my shorts only go down half the length of my thigh.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm annoyed at how few are accepting of short shorts on men. Even supposedly 'open-minded' people. Do they have short memories? Why did nobody have a problem with that back in the 80s? The shorts today are more ridiculous if you ask me. What I find more peculiar is the dichotomy; women in the US and Australia under say 30 almost universally wear short shorts (that's the fashion), while men wear long shorts. In Europe longer shorts are more popular for women for some reason. They don't feel the pressure to always have to look sexy. In the past things were equal (for awhile in the 90s I noticed women favouring long shorts) but it's weird fashion is become less uni-sex in a way, as girls want to look more sexy. The casual 90s are out for females. That's why I often see lesbians wearing long shorts.
when i was a kid i wore short shorts which was the norm. 1" inseams were not uncommon. Cutoff jeans were made as short as possible w/o exposing anything. Only problem was sitting on a seat that had been sitting in the sun all day. thigh burns galore. some of us bought bermudas or longer shorts so that we wouldnt get burnt but the majority of us either laid a towel down, sat down slowly, or didnt sit down at all.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
when i was a kid i wore short shorts which was the norm. 1" inseams were not uncommon. Cutoff jeans were made as short as possible w/o exposing anything. Only problem was sitting on a seat that had been sitting in the sun all day. thigh burns galore. some of us bought bermudas or longer shorts so that we wouldnt get burnt but the majority of us either laid a towel down, sat down slowly, or didnt sit down at all.
The heat can go through jeans too. Black pants in particular can really heat up, depending on the material.

Yeah even when I was a kid I wore short shorts but then kids do too. By the time I was 8 or so, though, the long short trend was well and truly here. Girls did wear short shorts but it was just as common to see them in long shorts. Boys still wore short shorts as late as the late 90s, actually. It took a decade for shortER shorts to slowly make a comeback for guys. In 2002-2003 I suddenly saw hotpants becoming ubiquitous for girls. It annoyed me because I was distracted being the teenage pervert I was, but how could I be blamed? Same as when they were wearing mini-skirts.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:30 PM

mini skirts and skinny jeans were the norm in the 80s. The longer shorts (then known as "jams" came out and ppl had mixed emotions about them. Denim mini skirts were the rave and if you wore jeans they had to be as tight on your ankles as possible. If they had any space you were teased about wearing bell bottoms. take any of these ppl wearing longer shorts of today send them back to the 80s and they would be laughed out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty