Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you rather be?
Curvy 84 46.93%
Slim 95 53.07%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishMajor1983 View Post
I don't have any health problems. I exercise for myself, not to look a certain way. I eat a healthy diet. It's hard for me to lose weight. I just naturally have some extra pounds.

I don't stress about fitting into a certain jeans size or being "acceptable" by today's society. I'm healthy and happy, and that's all that matters.
Ok, understood. I think some people prefer to look a certain way opposite to what you described above, and that's fine too. They can also be described as healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 AM

286 posts, read 417,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Ok, understood. I think some people prefer to look a certain way opposite to what you described above, and that's fine too. They can also be described as healthy.
Of course. I wasn't disputing that.

I was just trying to say that you can take care of yourself and have healthy habits yet be a bit overweight, and you would still be healthy.

It's a touchy subject for me because for the longest time, I had serious body image issues. I was always told I would never be good enough or worth anything if I didn't lose weight...and this wasn't just by strangers, it was by extended family members too! However, my mom (who is my biggest cheerleader) instilled in me a sense of self-worth and pride that nobody can ever take away from me again.

Anyone can be healthy in any shape and size, just like anyone can be unhealthy in any shape and size.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:54 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishMajor1983 View Post
Of course. I wasn't disputing that.

I was just trying to say that you can take care of yourself and have healthy habits yet be a bit overweight, and you would still be healthy.

It's a touchy subject for me because for the longest time, I had serious body image issues. I was always told I would never be good enough or worth anything if I didn't lose weight...and this wasn't just by strangers, it was by extended family members too! However, my mom (who is my biggest cheerleader) instilled in me a sense of self-worth and pride that nobody can ever take away from me again.

Anyone can be healthy in any shape and size, just like anyone can be unhealthy in any shape and size.

I'm sorry but the bolded just isn't true. An obese person that is an apple shape is not healthy and will never be healthy until they lose that weight. It's a silly myth that people can be significantly overweight and still be "healthy". Being a "bit" overweight is far different from being VERY overweight or significantly overweight. It is a bit more understandable that a large framed person that doesn't have the best metabolism could be about 10 pounds overweight or even 15 pounds overweight, but beyond that a person that is is more than 20 pounds overweight is not healthy.

One thing I do agree with you, is that a person can "look" a certain way but be unhealthy(i.e the thin girl that eats donuts and candy all day, or the lean girl that drinks several sodas and is a hardcore drinker).

I do think appreciating what God gave you is important. Not everyone can be thin, not everyone will be curvy, not everyone has the best metabolism etc. And it's important to accept yourself and stop trying to be something that is hard to maintain or that you will just never be. However if you are significantly overweight that is a HEALTH issue.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 PM

286 posts, read 417,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
I'm sorry but the bolded just isn't true. An obese person that is an apple shape is not healthy and will never be healthy until they lose that weight. It's a silly myth that people can be significantly overweight and still be "healthy". Being a "bit" overweight is far different from being VERY overweight or significantly overweight. It is a bit more understandable that a large framed person that doesn't have the best metabolism could be about 10 pounds overweight or even 15 pounds overweight, but beyond that a person that is is more than 20 pounds overweight is not healthy.

One thing I do agree with you, is that a person can "look" a certain way but be unhealthy(i.e the thin girl that eats donuts and candy all day, or the lean girl that drinks several sodas and is a hardcore drinker).

I do think appreciating what God gave you is important. Not everyone can be thin, not everyone will be curvy, not everyone has the best metabolism etc. And it's important to accept yourself and stop trying to be something that is hard to maintain or that you will just never be. However if you are significantly overweight that is a HEALTH issue.
I apologize, I should have phrased that last part better.

I do agree that being significantly overweight, i.e. morbidly obese, IS beyond somebody's control and is a health issue. I'm not saying those people are not deserving of love and shouldn't love themselves, but realistically, when somebody is that obese they probably don't love themselves, allowing themselves to get that big. So there is a major problem there.

I guess I got too caught up in my point about being a bit overweight and still being healthy. I agree it becomes a problem when it significantly starts affecting your health. Morbid obesity is NEVER a good thing.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I don't see why you can't be slim and curvy at the same time. I'm not talking about being thin and sickly, but slim and having a good shape. Thin means underweight=not good. Slim means shapely and not any extra weight=good.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:30 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't see why you can't be slim and curvy at the same time. I'm not talking about being thin and sickly, but slim and having a good shape. Thin means underweight=not good. Slim means shapely and not any extra weight=good.
You can.
The opposite happens too,obese with no curves.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Slim is a size not a shape (a subjective one at that). Curvy is a shape not a size.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:02 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Just as someone can be a little overweight and still healthy and attractive, a person can be a little underweight and still healthy and attractive.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Slim is a size not a shape (a subjective one at that). Curvy is a shape not a size.
So we are comparing apples with oranges. A slim size with a curvy shape.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:46 PM

If there is anyone who thinks you can't be slim and curvy at the same time, then think again. Unless you're using curvy as a kind word for fat. Slim and curvy used to be the norm until the obesity epidemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty