Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 05:04 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

So, as I have mentioned before, I am a bundle of bizarre sizes, none of which are usually available in stores.
Just to illustrate...
I am a Plus 16 Tall in pants (a size which doesn't exist)
An 11 W in shoes, or 12 reg if high heels (not available at the mall)
a 42C bra...hardly ever available
socks are usually too short
underpants usually ride up
things like pajamas are always too short
To look at me you would not notice anything outsized, but I just can't find clothes to fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:33 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times
I have the opposite problem with lengths. Petite pants/jeans are usually too short, while regulars are a little too long, requiring me to pair them with higher heeled shoes, which I don't always like to do if it's icy or muddy out. I've been wearing skirts with low-heeled boots a lot lately.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I have the opposite problem with lengths. Petite pants/jeans are usually too short, while regulars are a little too long, requiring me to pair them with higher heeled shoes, which I don't always like to do if it's icy or muddy out. I've been wearing skirts with low-heeled boots a lot lately.
This is more my problem. And, I have wide feet. It seems like only the frumpiest shoes come in wide width. And having big feet doesn't mean you have thick legs, so why are my wide width boots so big on my legs?

OP, that sounds like no fun to deal with. I'm sorry you have so much trouble.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Yes! I wear a size 14 xl pants (38" inseam) but I have long hips, if that makes sense, so it can be hard to find pants that hit in the right spot on my hips. I have a relatively small waist but have a deep rib cage and giant boobs (36F/G) so my shirts are NEVER long enough. I wear tunic shirts and dresses as regular shirts. My wrists and ankles are ridiculously small and make me look very oddly out of proportion. My lower legs are just a few inches too long so the calf part of tall boots hit my ankles instead of my calf

All in all, I like my body, but it is very oddly shaped.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:08 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,420,077 times
I have broad shoulders, smaller waist, and am pear shaped (have hips), so buying pants is always a challenge. I am generally a size 8 but also own 6s and one pait of 10s. Half of the pants fit my hips but are too big in the waist, or vice versa. My shirts range from size small to large. Needless to say, trying on clothes before purchasing is a must! Also, I am semi-tall and most pants are either too short or too long. Almost everything gets tailored.

My feet are on the wide side, but I can get away with regular width shoes except for heels. I am always a size 9 but when buying heels I buy a 9.5 which gives me a little more room. And YES wide width women shoes are usually Nana shoes. Frumpy and dumpy.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:43 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I'm pear shaped as well; my top is at least two sizes smaller than my bottom. It was that way before and after I lost of lot of weight, and ever shall be, I guess. So buying suits is out. Pants always gap at the waist. I can't button jackets. Etc.

I'm also extremely short-waisted, and often have to buy pants that are proportioned tall, even though I'm only 5'4". I do a lot of hemming.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:59 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
I have a petite length torso with long arms and wide shoulders. Accentuate that with ridiculously huge boobs and tops are never fun to shop for. Good thing I have a handy-dandy sewing machine.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:59 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
I have a petite length torso with long arms and wide shoulders. Accentuate that with ridiculously huge boobs and tops are never fun to shop for. Good thing I have a handy-dandy sewing machine.
Crop cut sweaters look cute on that shape I think. There seem to be a lot out there this season.

OP: YES
lol

My pants run from a 14-16 girls to a 0-2 womens (usually..sometimes a 4-6)
Shirts: xs-m and I have to shop around the cut for a chest/waist/short torso reason

Shoes : also depends on style but 8-10 (thanks big toe!)

bras: ugh... 30-34, b-dd

jackets - xs-m depending on the cut. (shoulders don't fit in xs sometimes)

I barely look at size tags anymore. I just look at whatever size seems like it will fit and try it on. Its easier once you have experimented enough to know what type of style lines work for your shape.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:38 PM

830 posts, read 1,666,371 times
Bizarre sizes? Sounds like me!

I have wide shoulders and chest and a narrow waist (curveless!). When I buy a buttoned shirt it will either be too baggy at the waist or too tight at the chest. Usually I get a medium shirt and not button the top two or three. Bras are the worst because although I have a large size, I don't fit in the bras marked "curvy" or "full-figured" because I don't carry as much fat on my upper chest as I did before...Don't know if that makes sense... I hate pants too because I'm just tall enough not to be "petite" but regular pants often are too long or too baggy. Plus another problem, which is my problem personally, is hip displasia and scoliosis so the clothes (usually pants but sometimes shirts) might fit one side but not the other. Uff...I know I could get the clothes altered...A. if I cared more and B. if I bought clothes worth enough to alter.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:45 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
I think this is something that almost all women experience. It really has less to do with how they are shaped and more to do with how designers are making their clothes.

For example, my wife is 5' 2" about 125 lbs with a very round/fit/curvy/Kardashian-like bottom. She has clothes that are XS, S, M, 5, 0, P, etc. The only "work/business" suits tha fit her correctly are her Lauren suits. The only workout type clothes that fit her (i.e., she likes) are Lululemon and Nike and for most other stuff, its Bebe or similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty