Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 12:24 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,052,389 times

Advertisements

If you buy shoes from Zappo's... you might want to be aware of this:

24 million customer accounts hacked at Zappos | Reuters

Zappos Hacked: What You Need to Know | PCWorld Business Center

And what I don't understand... is that I AM a Zappo's customer, yet I haven't head anything about this from Zappo's! I stumbled upon it while I was reading news.

We buy ton's of shoes from Zappo's as our boys grow so fast and play sports and well... I love shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 05:06 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,634,850 times
I got an email from Zappos about it on the day it was announced. Double check your junk mail. The title was:

"Information on the Zappos.com site - please create a new password‏"

Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I got an email from Zappos about it on the day it was announced. Double check your junk mail. The title was:

Things you should be doing anyway every couple weeks for security.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:37 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
It's not that, Ops.

People forgetfully leave their billing and address info on every shopping site, becoz the crooks want you to sign up, save the info and then spam you.

Zappo's. Macy's. Kohl's. Anywhere people shop online. Even Amazon.

But think about this... how many of these websites invest in information security hardware and framework and general infrastructure? Even if they do, at what proportion? How does that settle across their balance sheet. It's a telling liability.

Even Chase and Bank of America, undoubtedly the best info. security infrastructure out there get breached once in a while.

So, people, make a checklist of every site you know and take your personal information down. Even iTunes. Apple is great, but criminals are smarter. Do not sign up for auto-billing, with GEICO, AT&T etc., if you sign up for auto-billing, your financial info is out there for anyone to take.

But I will leave financial info on BAC, Chase, AT&T or Verizon... these are front-line blue chips and they get into heavy controversy if they compromise on security... they are pretty sturdy, but Zappo's, Macy's, Amazon..... hacker's dream come true

Old 01-19-2012, 01:47 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
It's not that, Ops.

People forgetfully leave their billing and address info on every shopping site, becoz the crooks want you to sign up, save the info and then spam you.

Zappo's. Macy's. Kohl's. Anywhere people shop online. Even Amazon.

But think about this... how many of these websites invest in information security hardware and framework and general infrastructure? Even if they do, at what proportion? How does that settle across their balance sheet. It's a telling liability.

Even Chase and Bank of America, undoubtedly the best info. security infrastructure out there get breached once in a while.

So, people, make a checklist of every site you know and take your personal information down. Even iTunes. Apple is great, but criminals are smarter. Do not sign up for auto-billing, with GEICO, AT&T etc., if you sign up for auto-billing, your financial info is out there for anyone to take.

But I will leave financial info on BAC, Chase, AT&T or Verizon... these are front-line blue chips and they get into heavy controversy if they compromise on security... they are pretty sturdy, but Zappo's, Macy's, Amazon..... hacker's dream come true
I thought not leaving that was given..oopsie on opsi! LOL

I did have a problem with a chase account though. They were super pros. They actually had blank mag cards and were writing the numbers to them and using them. But since I check my crap nightly before bed it was taken care of by the company before it got out of hand.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post

Thanks tilli! Found it.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
My boyfriend has had his identity stolen more than once due to iTunes. I don't find it to be all that secure.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:29 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,548,159 times
I am a loyal zappos customer and will continue to shop with them. The one thing I do not do with any retail site is allow them to store my credit card number, which many of them do these days.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:45 PM

Oh I love Zappo's, too. I will definitely keep shopping with them. But I just don't know what we're supposed to do now... it's scary to think of our info out there. Change a password... check accounts... what else can we do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty