Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,618,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Hmm... now I'm looking at the shirt in a new way.... with your "direction of motion" explanation. It's interesting how we all initially see different things.

Now, when I look at the shirt and think of the arrows not as a recycle symbol but as a direction of motion only... it makes me wonder if the shirt is a shout-out to the steampunk movement? Perhaps Fossil is trying to capitalize on the next fad or trend... Unicycles are sometimes associated with steampunk... in parades and local occupy protests we've seen steampunks and a few have been on unicycles now that I think of it... dressed in their sci-fi victorian garb... some with mustaches, pipes...
I think you got it! Except i interpret it as Fossil's jab at steampunk hipsters, knowing full well that their tees are going to be on the backs of aspiring 1 percenters like Antlered

Old 01-26-2012, 07:38 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,699,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Nikita. View Post
+1

Didn't read all the other responses yet, but worrying SO much about what other people think of you/ trying to prove yourself on some online forum is way more DB than some tshirt. And you do it often, AC.
Slow down, amiga.

Let me tell you something. I show up in any place and this is what people say about me: "He is sharp, is a good dresser" How do you think I gather information? Do you think I wanna go in the real world and ask people, hey, is my Tee nice, does it look too flashy? This is a message board. This isn't my personal life. I can do whatever the hell I want here without second thoughts

What is fashion? It's sartorial acceptance in the eyes of people around you. Why are you even here if you are so happy about who you are and don't care about other people?

People just show up and yap on and on about how happy they are with themselves, and accuse others of being shallow, opulent blah blah blah. In that case, let's be honest and post in "Frugal Living" for Pete's sake. That's filled with people who are allegedly happy with what they are and their so called minimalist living. Otherwise, you are merely projecting your insecurities on other people and indulging in self-therapy to make yourself feel better about something you cannot do. Please, let's talk about T-shirts, I'll light a candle up and issue a novena in honour of other people's sartorial humility, but seriously, in the name of the Trinity and the Apostles, let's just talk about T-shirts If I offended anyone, please take warmth, I confess every saturday without fail. Just 2 more days.

Apology accepted

Old 01-26-2012, 07:50 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,366,022 times
Hmmph. I think Nikita may be trying to say is that, yes it is a forum--however, one should know thyself as much to know whether a shirt is "db'y" or not. However, someone coming on a forum to ask about a specific style, a match up, etc, is okay. Or maybe she is trying to say, "Come on to the forum and simply ask, what do you all think about the shirt". And, when sharp criticism is experienced, do not bounce back like a tennis ball thrown to the ground.

Anyways, here is MY opinion.

You said you have women in your life, friend or not. Get their advice. If you don't feel comfortable by all means, come to the forum. I know if a shirt is "db'y" or not. However, I may need advice on whether or not it might work with my style, so I'll get that from my female friends.

The t-shirt isn't bad, not like those t-shirts with funny sayings on them. Most likely, I wouldn't even notice the t-shirt if someone was wearing it.

On personality. I do think, that sometimes, antlerguy, that you do come off as trying to prove yourself. Sometimes, you also come off as being better than people in a slightly smug attitude.

It's okay. I come off as being better/knowing more than people on the forum in a cocky, dickish way. And more often than not, I try to do this.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Hmmph. I think Nikita may be trying to say is that, yes it is a forum--however, one should know thyself as much to know whether a shirt is "db'y" or not. However, someone coming on a forum to ask about a specific style, a match up, etc, is okay. Or maybe she is trying to say, "Come on to the forum and simply ask, what do you all think about the shirt". And, when sharp criticism is experienced, do not bounce back like a tennis ball thrown to the ground.

Anyways, here is MY opinion.

You said you have women in your life, friend or not. Get their advice. If you don't feel comfortable by all means, come to the forum. I know if a shirt is "db'y" or not. However, I may need advice on whether or not it might work with my style, so I'll get that from my female friends.

The t-shirt isn't bad, not like those t-shirts with funny sayings on them. Most likely, I wouldn't even notice the t-shirt if someone was wearing it.

On personality. I do think, that sometimes, antlerguy, that you do come off as trying to prove yourself. Sometimes, you also come off as being better than people in a slightly smug attitude.

It's okay. I come off as being better/knowing more than people on the forum in a cocky, dickish way. And more often than not, I try to do this.
I think it's a major misunderstanding, tommo.

This whole thread's a funny spin-off from a random comment another poster made on another thread. If people attach that much seriousness and gauge a poster's character based on an online discussion thread, that tells me how much weightage they attach to something so trivial - an online message board

Didn't intend it to be one where I "try" to prove myself. Did anyone even see where I am acting like I'm bitching about 31 bucks and trying to save it. Does that mean I care about 30 bucks. I never cared about 300 bucks even. People need to stop drawing conclusions and avoid getting riled up over something. If their skin is so thin, then I suggest they take some pills and calm down.

Why can't people just discuss clothes and take drama to other message boards. You see how a simple question to fashionistas got derailed, and that is sad. And I have seen your posts which come across as dickish, but I never thought you were a dick. Becoz, plain and simple, online message boards, people can be whatever they wish to be. Doesn't necessarily reflect their personality trait. But...... for other people, sounds like it's a big deal. If they're hellbent on derailing my thread any further, I can bloody well opt to lock this up. The fashionistas have issued their stamp of approval on the unicycle.

The women in my life? Well, after what happened with the former, I have learned that women love losers more than winners I never bring up my income, money, fashion, gym, opinions etc., I talk about pancakes, their awesome hair, how wonderfully curvy they are, how cute and pretty (not hot, mind you) they are ....... and life is good I got the memo - women hate self-absorbed, self-centered egomaniacs. I play that mister goody two shoes way too well. It's an art.

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 01-26-2012 at 08:28 AM..

Old 01-26-2012, 08:59 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,264,176 times
It's not a bad t-shirt...but they coulda made it look more like a unicycle.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:11 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,483,137 times
It's fine.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:37 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,037,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Ha, Hipsters everywhere love Portland. Or Oregon. Not sure why. Been to Portland a few times (Friends) and don't understand where the draw is..
It's the birthplace of voodoo doughnuts (and all that hype). A lot of cool authors call Portland home. A lot of cool people who were in Austin, TX and so-cal bands are now refugees in Portland because of the gentrification which is ruining Austin, and all the crap that is ruining so-cal. Some cool filmmakers in Portland, too. PDX really just has all the right elements to attract genuine cool people in addition to the more proliferate cool people groupies that want to be or think they are cool. Unfortunately, the groupies, which most people call hipsters, are the ones who leave the house more.

Portland is a cool town, in it's own right, despite all this.

We love to visit Portland. I dunno if I could ever live there. The weather is really bad. We're in Eugene. The weather is a bit better here and we'd rather deal with hopeless hippies than wayward hipsters. But that's just us.

I think there are a lot of hipsters in Portland, too, because it's kind of the underdog to Seattle. PDX is Seattle's sub-cultured little punk rock sister. Hipsters root for the underdog. It's all part of their ethos.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:48 PM

506 posts, read 1,955,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Slow down, amiga.

Let me tell you something. I show up in any place and this is what people say about me: "He is sharp, is a good dresser" How do you think I gather information? Do you think I wanna go in the real world and ask people, hey, is my Tee nice, does it look too flashy? This is a message board. This isn't my personal life. I can do whatever the hell I want here without second thoughts

What is fashion? It's sartorial acceptance in the eyes of people around you. Why are you even here if you are so happy about who you are and don't care about other people?

People just show up and yap on and on about how happy they are with themselves, and accuse others of being shallow, opulent blah blah blah. In that case, let's be honest and post in "Frugal Living" for Pete's sake. That's filled with people who are allegedly happy with what they are and their so called minimalist living. Otherwise, you are merely projecting your insecurities on other people and indulging in self-therapy to make yourself feel better about something you cannot do. Please, let's talk about T-shirts, I'll light a candle up and issue a novena in honour of other people's sartorial humility, but seriously, in the name of the Trinity and the Apostles, let's just talk about T-shirts If I offended anyone, please take warmth, I confess every saturday without fail. Just 2 more days.

Apology accepted
There is no apology. I work in the prestige beauty industry and have for years. Hell, my office is right here on 5th Avenue. I am well aware of the intricacies of fashion. What you fail to realize, AC, is that there is a MAJOR difference between fashion and STYLE. Ms. XYZ can see someone wear something absolutely gorgeous, take that exact outfit, accessories, shoes, and all, wear it, and it will look awkward and out of place on her. Why? Because Ms. XYZ simply does not have style. IMO, this is something, almost innate, that you have or you don't. That t-shirt may look incredible on one guy, and horrible on the other. I don't know whether you have style or not, and I suspect you don't know either as you constantly seek approval.

My husband is constantly complimented on his style, from both women and men, young and old. He gets stopped by people often asking where he bought his shoes, shirt, etc. People even ask him to take their husbands/teenage sons shopping (which he doesn't because as I said above, it's a matter of having the style or not, it's not something someone else can pick for you). He buys EVERYTHING for himself. He doesn't even ask my opinion. And he certainly isn't spending days on a fashion board seeking the advice of others. He has style and can pick out his own wardrobe without seeking approval. His wardrobe is probably bigger than mine and he has nearly as many shoes as I do (combined, we're in the HUNDREDS ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I think it's a major misunderstanding, tommo.

This whole thread's a funny spin-off from a random comment another poster made on another thread. If people attach that much seriousness and gauge a poster's character based on an online discussion thread, that tells me how much weightage they attach to something so trivial - an online message board

Didn't intend it to be one where I "try" to prove myself. Did anyone even see where I am acting like I'm bitching about 31 bucks and trying to save it. Does that mean I care about 30 bucks. I never cared about 300 bucks even. People need to stop drawing conclusions and avoid getting riled up over something. If their skin is so thin, then I suggest they take some pills and calm down.

Why can't people just discuss clothes and take drama to other message boards. You see how a simple question to fashionistas got derailed, and that is sad. And I have seen your posts which come across as dickish, but I never thought you were a dick. Becoz, plain and simple, online message boards, people can be whatever they wish to be. Doesn't necessarily reflect their personality trait. But...... for other people, sounds like it's a big deal. If they're hellbent on derailing my thread any further, I can bloody well opt to lock this up. The fashionistas have issued their stamp of approval on the unicycle.

The women in my life? Well, after what happened with the former, I have learned that women love losers more than winners I never bring up my income, money, fashion, gym, opinions etc., I talk about pancakes, their awesome hair, how wonderfully curvy they are, how cute and pretty (not hot, mind you) they are ....... and life is good I got the memo - women hate self-absorbed, self-centered egomaniacs. I play that mister goody two shoes way too well. It's an art.
Trust me, don't worry about whether this t-shirt will make you look like a DB. You're doing a good job on that on your own.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:40 PM

41,924 posts, read 75,111,210 times
People who use the word douchebag (other than to make a point) have more to worry about than how they look in a T-shirt.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Nikita. View Post
There is no apology. I work in the prestige beauty industry and have for years. Hell, my office is right here on 5th Avenue. I am well aware of the intricacies of fashion. What you fail to realize, AC, is that there is a MAJOR difference between fashion and STYLE. Ms. XYZ can see someone wear something absolutely gorgeous, take that exact outfit, accessories, shoes, and all, wear it, and it will look awkward and out of place on her. Why? Because Ms. XYZ simply does not have style. IMO, this is something, almost innate, that you have or you don't. That t-shirt may look incredible on one guy, and horrible on the other. I don't know whether you have style or not, and I suspect you don't know either as you constantly seek approval.

My husband is constantly complimented on his style, from both women and men, young and old. He gets stopped by people often asking where he bought his shoes, shirt, etc. People even ask him to take their husbands/teenage sons shopping (which he doesn't because as I said above, it's a matter of having the style or not, it's not something someone else can pick for you). He buys EVERYTHING for himself. He doesn't even ask my opinion. And he certainly isn't spending days on a fashion board seeking the advice of others. He has style and can pick out his own wardrobe without seeking approval. His wardrobe is probably bigger than mine and he has nearly as many shoes as I do (combined, we're in the HUNDREDS ).

Trust me, don't worry about whether this t-shirt will make you look like a DB. You're doing a good job on that on your own.
I'm planting a tree tomorrow, in honour of you and your amazing DH. You two are adorable. Now, on to T-shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.