Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:33 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
That's what, 5%...maybe 10% of the population at the very most?

I am going to include retinol, skin aging cream, facials, skin peels, airbrush and foundations. There are more products like that than ever before. I think only 5% of the populations don’t look younger than their actual age. Most of the posts are talking about celebrites. I know that most celebrities have makeup artists, dermatology and other professional that stress to them to look as young and skinny as possible. For example, Suzanne Somers and Kristie Alley. There is no way those women look like they are in their 60's. But most people can tell that Suzanne Somers had plastic surgeries. Most normal 65 year olds don't look that young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 09:03 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I am going to include retinol, skin aging cream, facials, skin peels, airbrush and foundations. There are more products like that than ever before. I think only 5% of the populations don’t look younger than their actual age. Most of the posts are talking about celebrites. I know that most celebrities have makeup artists, dermatology and other professional that stress to them to look as young and skinny as possible. For example, Suzanne Somers and Kristie Alley. There is no way those women look like they are in their 60's. But most people can tell that Suzanne Somers had plastic surgeries. Most normal 65 year olds don't look that young.
No, but they don't look like Granny Clampett either. My mother is 62 and would die before wearing her hair in a bun and dressing like a little old lady.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:06 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I wonder, too, how much of it is societal expectations. 70 years ago, a middle-aged woman who'd married and had children took herself out of the game, so to speak. She wasn't expected to still be a beauty, so she stayed home and took care of her family and left the fuss to the young people.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:06 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times
I think there are definitely older women who are dressing younger nowadays. Nothing wrong with it, in my opinion, as long as they don't look ridiculous doing so.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:38 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
I also think that ages are different now. I mean people 50 + years ago, at 20, they were considered fully adults, they were supposed to get married, etc. Now people at 20 are practically teenagers. The 30s are the new 20s, the 40s are the new 30s, and so on. My parents both turned 60 last year and they dont look what 60 was before: they travel, do sports, and basically look like/act like someone that just turn 50. And most of their friends the same age look 50 as well, what i mean is that they are adults but not old people, like someone in their 60s will be considered years ago.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:50 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
There are so many factors....environmental, genetic, etc

Me:
36, often mistaken for 22-26
Things against me: pregnant at 19, smoked cigarettes from 15-25, except for when I was pregnant, drank and did lots of experimenting in my teens, did the tanning bed thing in my 20's and tanned lots on caribbean vacations, etc
Things going for me: vegetarian (now pescatarian) for 21 years, work out 6 days a week for 10 years, use retinol and daily moisturizer, married to a MD and know alot about health/wellness

So I could go either way, right? But generally I think if a person is fit/thin they will look younger

Old 01-27-2012, 01:36 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
There are so many factors....environmental, genetic, etc

Me:
36, often mistaken for 22-26
Things against me: pregnant at 19, smoked cigarettes from 15-25, except for when I was pregnant, drank and did lots of experimenting in my teens, did the tanning bed thing in my 20's and tanned lots on caribbean vacations, etc
Things going for me: vegetarian (now pescatarian) for 21 years, work out 6 days a week for 10 years, use retinol and daily moisturizer, married to a MD and know alot about health/wellness

So I could go either way, right? But generally I think if a person is fit/thin they will look younger

And still you look like 15 years younger???

wow, you must have very good genes

Old 01-27-2012, 02:02 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
there's also the trend of later marriages and many more divorces to consider as well. More people are looking for a spouse/SO later in their lives instead of getting married right after high school or college, and getting the attention of the opposite sex is so much easier when you've kept yourself up well. Also, the retirement age has been pushed back from 62 to 65 to 68 and some places 70, so worker bees also try to keep themselves looking current in fashions & hairstyles (as opposed to trendy/faddish) to not draw negative attention from the folks looking to cut the bottom line. Older celebrities always followed that notion in years gone by so they could keep getting some work, but that attention to their own upkeep then started spilling over into the general population.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:33 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
I know, right?? That was my point, somethings are environmental but I definitely believe regardless of past factors or uncontrollable ones....there is still alot one can do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
And still you look like 15 years younger???

wow, you must have very good genes

Last edited by Davachka; 01-27-2012 at 03:08 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 08:25 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
We have to remember that up until recent times,Americans were sort of stress free.
Now with the economy in the tank,I bet stress is going to catch up to a lot of people.

I still think the people who get surgery,esp Botox, is higher than 5% of the pop.

One thing to think about: peole in other countries don't look as young as Americans do,esp the british.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty