Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
This is not germane to whites in America. In many other countries, even those with a more homogenious community, there is racism based on skin color and it tends to be persecution upon the darker skin. There was a recent film doc on this trend within Mexico. Professionals and higher wage earners tended to have less indiginous features and dark skin color. The most prosperous tended to be taller with lighter skin and more European features. In the Domincan Republic, there has been written accounts of racism against darker skinned citizens or those of Haitian descent.

Why is dark skin color even within seperate cultures and ethnicities always an issue? It is certainly not just white america.
Very true. This happens in all groups. There is a lot of skin tone discrimination. And even evidence darker people are paid less, punished more harshly an lots of other slights.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:18 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
This is not germane to whites in America. In many other countries, even those with a more homogenious community, there is racism based on skin color and it tends to be persecution upon the darker skin. There was a recent film doc on this trend within Mexico. Professionals and higher wage earners tended to have less indiginous features and dark skin color. The most prosperous tended to be taller with lighter skin and more European features. In the Domincan Republic, there has been written accounts of racism against darker skinned citizens or those of Haitian descent.

Why is dark skin color even within seperate cultures and ethnicities always an issue? It is certainly not just white america.
Because in the Americas, the power base tends to be historically dominated by those of European ancestry. People forget that the African slave ships dispersed their cargo from the top starting with the New England colonies, throughout the Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America all the way down to Argentina.

To many people, White equals power-"full", Black equals power-"less" and everything in between means that one has a chance to gain access to power and wealth as long as one emulates those who have it (ie White people)

Old 07-09-2013, 07:44 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Because in the Americas, the power base tends to be historically dominated by those of European ancestry. People forget that the African slave ships dispersed their cargo from the top starting with the New England colonies, throughout the Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America all the way down to Argentina.

To many people, White equals power-"full", Black equals power-"less" and everything in between means that one has a chance to gain access to power and wealth as long as one emulates those who have it (ie White people)

But in what way must one emulate white people to gain access to power and wealth?

Old 07-09-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
But in what way must one emulate white people to gain access to power and wealth?
In the Caribbean and Latin America, the color of one's skin often determines how much access a person will have to better jobs, better education, access to more affluent social circles. Notice that most of the lighter skinned and more White looking Caribbeans and Latin Americans have very little need to leave their respective countries in order to seek a better way of life because they have access to it in their own countries.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Quote:
In the Caribbean and Latin America, the color of one's skin often determines how much access a person will have to better jobs, better education, access to more affluent social circles. Notice that most of the lighter skinned and more White looking Caribbeans and Latin Americans have very little need to leave their respective countries in order to seek a better way of life because they have access to it in their own countries.

Yes, but it is not the skin color that affords them that. Isn't it is simply a matter of having the resources and network? I'm half South American but I'm culturally American and have noticed many of my female South American relatives avoid the sun OBSESSIVELY. It is very disturbing and I will go in to detail later because I'm about to eat right now.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Yes, but it is not the skin color that affords them that. Isn't it is simply a matter of having the resources and network? I'm half South American but I'm culturally American and have noticed many of my female South American relatives avoid the sun OBSESSIVELY. It is very disturbing and I will go in to detail later because I'm about to eat right now.
Yes, and the access to those resources and ability to network tends to be concentrated amongst those who have more European features.

I seriously could create several threads that branch off of these issues solely based on my own personal experiences (as a Black American woman) with Caribbeans, Cubans, Central Americans, South Americans and Mexicans.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 PM

66 posts, read 70,633 times
Quote:
Yes, and the access to those resources and ability to network tends to be concentrated amongst those who have more European features.

I seriously could create several threads that branch off of these issues solely based on my own personal experiences (as a Black American woman) with Caribbeans, Cubans, Central Americans, South Americans and Mexicans.
why no wonder you were so mad

you are one of those black women who gets pissed off at men of other races not dating her and you take that anger out by calling other races of men ugly and trolling thread

makes sense to me now

Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking 4 Help View Post
why no wonder you were so mad

you are one of those black women who gets pissed off at men of other races not dating her and you take that anger out by calling other races of men ugly and trolling thread

makes sense to me now
Please provide a quote. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 PM

66 posts, read 70,633 times
Quote:
Please provide a quote. Thanks.
don't need a quote, actions speak louder than words

trolling me and my threads won't make guys fall in love with you and it won't make em give you the time of the day

that is why you what you do

now if you looked like kerry washington or gabrielle union you would not be on this forum trying to mess up discussions and beg for attention

Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:

Great topic. (One I wish was better addressed in Dark Girls.)

I have had some very interesting experiences as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty