Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 PM

84 posts, read 57,414 times

Advertisements

[quote=Singlelady10;22972355 I am in a upper middle class area where most black women are married to black or latin guys. [/QUOTE]

And are these "black women" mostly of the lighter hue?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,494 times
I am very dark and I do not want my future children to suffer as I did or get teased and treated as less. I want beautiful biracial kids so badly.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:24 PM

253 posts, read 557,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers and Candy View Post
I am very dark and I do not want my future children to suffer as I did or get teased and treated as less. I want beautiful biracial kids so badly.
That's really too bad that you feel that way

Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
That's really too bad that you feel that way
Why would I want dark black children to continue in the misery?

Mixed children have more opportunities for success and happiness.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:55 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle234 View Post
Actually, it's not racist to acknowledge that most black people are brown/dark in color. I do understand that America doesn't really recognize mixed race people, they just lump everyone who has a drop of black blood, into the "black category," so over the years, even very light skin people with blue eyes are classified as black.

For this reason, I do not view Halle Berry or Beyonce as Black women. Halle Berry is biracial and Beyonce's mom is cajun/creole, therefore Beyonce is in fact mixed as well. Kelly Rolland (her ex band member) however, is a black woman. Some have stated that Kelly hasn't had the same success as Beyonce because she lacks the mixed/ "cross over" look. I do not listen to their music, so I don't know if this is true or if it's simply because Beyonce is more talented.

Tyra Banks and the late Whitney Houston are light brown in color, Rhianna is a Barbadian woman who openly acknowledges her mixed caribbean ancestry. I'm not really sure why you mentioned Serena Williams. She is known as a great tennis player with a very toned and large behind, but again, she is not extolled for her beauty. In fact, I recall the Wayans brothers stirred quite the controversy when they dressed in drag to imitate the William's sisters on the tennis courts. I think that speaks volumes.

I can't really say if you're white or not, but if you have distant Native American blood, chances are, you will still be deemed as white (especially if you look similar to other women who commonly identify themselves as white).

Well that would depend on who you ask. If you ask a light or medium brown "black woman," they would agree with you, it probably doesn't impact their dating options, but I can speak about what I've observed, it can negatively impact a dark woman's dating options, especially in terms of attracting upper income men.
So only dark skinned women are "black women"? Even if they're of mixed heritage but appear to be wholly black? I don't understand what point you're trying to make. If someone appears to be of a certain race, what does it matter if their parents aren't? Rashida Jones looks Italian even though she's half black and half white and she can probably relate more to medium skin toned folks than black women (well, if she didn't have famous parents and had had a typical, normal upbringing).

Black women are held up as beautiful, as sex symbols. Not as often as they probably should but often enough that it's silly to claim you can't get a date because of the color of your skin. I've seen some of the ugliest people, inside and out, find love and live happily. If they can snag a man, so can a lady with chocolate colored skin.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:01 AM

253 posts, read 557,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers and Candy View Post
Why would I want dark black children to continue in the misery?

Mixed children have more opportunities for success and happiness.
I just find it sad that you feel that way, all children (Ok most children) get teased, ridiculed..etc having a mixed child isn't going to ensure that they will have the chance to be happier and successful. Mixed children also get bullied, for the fact that they are mixed. The best thing to do is to instill confidence and strength in your (future) children so that they can let people's ignorant opinions roll off their back.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
So only dark skinned women are "black women"? Even if they're of mixed heritage but appear to be wholly black? I don't understand what point you're trying to make. If someone appears to be of a certain race, what does it matter if their parents aren't? Rashida Jones looks Italian even though she's half black and half white and she can probably relate more to medium skin toned folks than black women (well, if she didn't have famous parents and had had a typical, normal upbringing).

Black women are held up as beautiful, as sex symbols. Not as often as they probably should but often enough that it's silly to claim you can't get a date because of the color of your skin. I've seen some of the ugliest people, inside and out, find love and live happily. If they can snag a man, so can a lady with chocolate colored skin.
Again, I do not view light people as authentically black, because they are mixed race. I really don't understand your point about Rashida Jones. She identifies herself as a mixed race woman, and she should, since she is.

Also this is not about dating any man, even the ugliest woman can do that. This is about a dark woman's ability to MARRY an upper income professional man.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:12 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
Again, I do not view light people as authentically black, because they are mixed race. I really don't understand your point about Rashida Jones. She identifies herself as a mixed race woman, and she should, since she is.

Also this is not about dating any man, even the ugliest woman can do that. This is about a dark woman's ability to MARRY an upper income professional man.
The OP said she believes her race is negatively affecting her dating life. I'm trying to point out that, no, race alone does not stop a person from finding love.

Black people come in different shades, not just dark. A light skinned black woman can have a "purer" black ancestry than a dark woman. My point is that if you are viewed as a certain race, you'll be treated as a person of that race so lighter skinned women like Tyra or Beyonce experience life every day as black women, not as mixed women. They are black women who have acheived great things in their lives, and one even married an upper income professional man.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
The OP said she believes her race is negatively affecting her dating life. I'm trying to point out that, no, race alone does not stop a person from finding love.

Black people come in different shades, not just dark. A light skinned black woman can have a "purer" black ancestry than a dark woman. My point is that if you are viewed as a certain race, you'll be treated as a person of that race so lighter skinned women like Tyra or Beyonce experience life every day as black women, not as mixed women. They are black women who have acheived great things in their lives, and one even married an upper income professional man.
Most black people are brown/dark. And there is no way that a light woman is purer in African heritage than a dark woman. That doesn't make any sense. Is a dark Hispanic purer in European ancestry than a pale Swede or Norwegian? LOL

Tyra & Beyonce are only viewed as black in America. Once they step outside the USA, they are seen as mixed women. You fail to understand that the USA doesn't really acknowledge mixed race people, so your definition of blackness is skewed to fit the current American paradigm.

This is why most blacks outside of the US, consider American blacks to be mixed, and not authentically black. When they see Tyra Banks, Beyonce, Halle, et al representing black women, they know they are really mixed women and not representations of real black beauties.

I prefer authentic black women to represent me, since that's who I resemble.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 AM

990 posts, read 2,302,558 times
Quote:
Most black people are brown/dark. And there is no way that a light woman is purer in African heritage than a dark woman. That doesn't make any sense. Is a dark Hispanic purer in European ancestry than a pale Swede or Norwegian? LOL

Tyra & Beyonce are only viewed as black in America. Once they step outside the USA, they are seen as mixed women. You fail to understand that the USA doesn't really acknowledge mixed race people, so your definition of blackness is skewed to fit the current American paradigm.

This is why most blacks outside of the US, consider American blacks to be mixed, and not authentically black. When they see Tyra Banks, Beyonce, Halle, et al representing black women, they know they are really mixed women and not representations of real black beauties.

I prefer authentic black women to represent me, since that's who I resemble.
then why did you come to the US. Most of us black Americans, even if dark have some white, hispanic or native american ancestry. Just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty