Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:52 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times

Advertisements

I like makeup. If people only knew what I spent on makeup alone.

I have my hair chemically straightened when I feel necessary, but the price can vary depending on what I have done: TR, Brazilian or both. BUT I do go to Korean salons that are known for what they do and not the absurd price tag that goes along with high-end salons.

Hair cut & blowout is about $80 (including tip) and I go when I get a chance. My cut & blowout is on the cheap side for my area.

Spa Pedicures...those are my guilty pleasure. They're $70 (including tip). I used to go every 2 weeks, but these days it's when I get a chance.

I color my own hair (Wella Demi from Sally Beauty Supply)...maybe it's 20 bucks at most. That's about every 6-8 weeks.

Alpha Hydrox and Glytone products for my face. AH isn't terribly expensive.

Waxing is $80 (with tip) every 5 weeks or so. (My biggest expense which is why want to begin laser treatments when I get an opportunity.)

I'd say it breaks down to $250 a month with makeup being the biggest expense and my hair straightening being the runner up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 01:15 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Bad assumption. It would probably be a lot more representative if we talked about what percentage of income we spend on beauty.

And everyone has stuff they skimp on and stuff they save on. Personally I spend LOTS on food and things that go in or on my body, but much less on clothing that goes on me and go to cheap stores. Everyone has their savings and splurges.
Even a millionaire shouldn't spend the way the OP spends unless your livelihood is your look, like a high profile actor, model, TV personality, etc. I completely understand the importance of looking put together for most professions, but manicures twice a week and $1200 a year on hair is like wiping your butt with a $100 bill. It's an irresponsible amount of money to spend to achieve something that could have been done at a fraction of the price.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:23 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
And women wonder why men don't take them seriously.

Can you imagine an important woman, say the Dean of a Big University or the CEO of a major hospital spending that much time and money on looks?

Women will always be second class citizens, passed over for promotions, looked down on and otherwise ignored as long as this sort of "beauty" seems to be important to them.

I feel very sorry for them.....they will get old and wrinkled, and all the beauty products, manicures, hair styling in the world will not help.
I have to LMAO off at the idea that those women who are going through all the trouble are doing it because they like it or love it. Obviously they are doing it to ATTRACT men or to get men to treat them with some decency since men base their opinions of women on their looks. Hello! And fyi: when they do get old and wrinkled he goes out and finds another one who spends money on lots of make up/preening.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:52 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Even a millionaire shouldn't spend the way the OP spends unless your livelihood is your look, like a high profile actor, model, TV personality, etc. I completely understand the importance of looking put together for most professions, but manicures twice a week and $1200 a year on hair is like wiping your butt with a $100 bill. It's an irresponsible amount of money to spend to achieve something that could have been done at a fraction of the price.
That's because being a millionaire isn't what it used to be.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post

Hair cut & blowout is about $80 (including tip) and I go when I get a chance. My cut & blowout is on the cheap side for my area.
More evidence to remind people of the point that the going rate for things varies GREATLY depending on where you are. $80 haircut/blowout combos can be had where I am, but it's at the more splurge-y end of things, and from salons that aggressively market themselves as luxury or spa-type. It's not the norm, because the market doesn't really bear it as the norm. It does have a niche market, though...but is def. considered high-end for the area.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:12 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,974,571 times
I love beauty and spend a lot on it because I LOVE IT! Its feminine and makes me proud to be a woman. I don't NEED it to impress or attract anyone as I get the same attention when I'm at the grocery store makeup free as I do at a gathering with a full make up face. I don't see anything wrong with a woman loving to pamper herself. As far as the spending amount, I'm not putting exact figures but they're all high end brands.

MAKEUP- Foundation, mascara, eyeshadow, eyeliner, concealer, loose powder, eyebrow powder, lipstick, lip gloss, blush.

SKIN CARE- Face wash, toner, moisturizer, face mask, body scrub, body cream, eye cream, perfume, body bronzer, Mani & pedi every 3 weeks. I get the regular American manicure and if it chips before 3 weeks, I paint my nails clear until my next salon visit. My pedicure always last the full 3 weeks. Spa body massage every 3 months.

HAIR- I've learn to do my hair myself so I don't spend as much money as I use too especially since I wear my natural curls 7 months out the year. All salon brands shampoo, deep conditioner, 2 leave-in conditioners 1 cream & 1 liquid, 2 moisturizers 1 for curls & 1 for straight hair, gel, heat protectant

Yep its a lot but beauty is what I enjoy and take great pride in and my finances allow me the luxury to do so.

Last edited by Shysister; 02-29-2012 at 03:22 AM..

Old 02-29-2012, 05:40 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:

Are you white? Because I never met a AA girl that could get away with going cheap on long hair and not look like crap.

OP- keep doing what you do. You look good. Now just figure out a way to do all the logical savings crap too.

My friend who does nails has a lot of ladies that come in 2x a week. Some people's nails grow like crazy or they are using their hands and need touch ups. Not really that insane. I would have to go 2x a week if I couldn't do it myself. It took me awhile and the help of my friend's tips on nails to help them look right.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:36 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times
Quote:
...and $1200 a year on hair is like wiping your butt with a $100 bill. It's an irresponsible amount of money to spend to achieve something that could have been done at a fraction of the price.
Sweetie, I'm black, my hair isn't like yours. Ask your black female friends that work in jobs predominated by whites how much they spend on their hair.

Ooops...someone beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Are you white? Because I never met a AA girl that could get away with going cheap on long hair and not look like crap.

OP- keep doing what you do. You look good. Now just figure out a way to do all the logical savings crap too.
Thanks! Appreciate it! I try!

I mean, I spend on my appearance because I don't really spend on anything else. I wear very inexpensive clothing, I eat at my job (for free), I take public transport, anything to keep money free for what's important to me.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:40 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Sweetie, I'm black, my hair isn't like yours. Ask your black female friends that work in jobs predominated by whites how much they spend on their hair.

I have to ask if you put anything in your hair to make it thick and long like that? (extensions etc)

You and importers wife are the hair queens of city data from what I've seen.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I have to ask if you put anything in your hair to make it thick and long like that? (extensions etc)

You and importers wife are the hair queens of city data from what I've seen.
Ha! I wear a weave, sew in...

The most expensive part of it is the hair. Quality hair that won't tangle or come out isn't cheap. I've found a woman in a little basement in the middle of nowhere that will do my hair for only 70 bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty