Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:16 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times

Advertisements

Speedy, is this a midlife crisis phase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 10:50 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Speedy, is this a midlife crisis phase?
? Wearing a watch to a formal event a midlife crisis? I'm not sure where you're even coming from.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:17 PM

Couldn't help but notice. You got bizarrely insecure when a teenager mentioned he has a rolex. Typically, when a person comes across something, it's always faced with an "I see". But any sense of astonishment, abrupt judgement and veiled criticism is mere projection of your insecurity that it took as long as adulthood for someone like you to get a rolex (which is admirable, standing ovation for upliftment in life) whereas a teenager got it earlier, becoz he didn't grow up in a farm like you and therefore is accused of entitlement becoz teens around you behave so. Where are you going with this? I thought everyone can appreciate that 90sman likes his rolex and move on. It's the fashion forum.

And what's with the CFO/CEO thing. You sound like Ace Ventura who goes from man to man trying locate his finger ring, even in the men's urinal. Do you keep checking who wears a watch and who doesn't? Have you really been to a professional gathering? Try sneaking into everyone's attire and see what happens. That's more like lady's business. They are adept at noticing everything without the person even realizing he's being noticed - from polished shoes to hairstyle.

CEO's wear loose suits. Even if they are wearing a watch, it's hardly visible, unless he pulls his arm and stretches while pointing something or drawing something from the dessert table. Even then, who notices these things?

At least 90sman didn't say every teenager must wear a rolex at graduation as a sign of whatever.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:46 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
When I attended these type of events, I notice roughly half to the males in the room to also be wearing some type of watch. Usually the black tie events I feel compelled to attend are work-related and if your CEO/COO are wearing watches as well, I doubt it's an observed "rule".

Certain etiquette is necessary when attending formal events but I've never subscribed to that one shouldn't wear a watch. They do make DRESS watches, what exactly are you supposed to wear those with?
Sigh. You must be skipping posts or something. I already addressed the "dress watch" issue previously. Please go back and read.

Just because half the males in the room are ignorant of etiquette does not change the fact that the rule exists. You can take your guidance from tradition, or from those who are ignorant of it. Your call.

Personally, I think it's a rule that makes a lot of sense because it was designed to prevent a guest from offending their hosts.

And what does it mean when you say "I doubt it's an observed rule"? Miss Manners has written about it, Emily Post has written about it, and another poster put up a link about the rule. Clearly, we did not make this up out of thin air.

More References:

Kimo Suits

Formal Wear For Men

JoS. A. Bank Clothiers

Here's a reference to watches not being proper for women at formal events.

Etiquette for a Proper Tea Length Gown | eHow.com

Even this guy who will allow a man to wear a sleek timepiece with formal clothes admits it is incorrect.

Watch Etiquette | TheWellDressedMan.net – Men's Fashion Advice Online

Old 03-04-2012, 01:16 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
How did I attack him?! If you think by me stating that he "has no business on an Internet forum if he cannot handle being judged", you must be the THINNEST skinned person I know to construe that as an attack.
You know full well that I'm talking about what you said to him earlier. Let's take a look at your words to him ...

"I guess I was raised to work for what I have and not expect it to be given to me. When I received my first big promotion, I bought myself a Rolex Sub as a sign of my accomplishment. I bought my second after climbing the next step up the corporate latter.

Being GIVEN something at that age without truly earning it is...well in my book, not respectable. I'm glad your uncle can give you a nice watch but I question his judgement as to why he believes a 19 year old kid entering colleges needs to wear something of that type of value around...sounds like trouble waiting to happen.

I guess our society breeds a certain type of entitlement mentality among teenagers nowadays, I'm not even sure who is to blame anymore whether it be the parents, the government, or the school systems. I guess I remember getting up at 5 a.m. to do chores on our farm with dad before I even went to school, nowadays teenagers are getting luxury watches/cars/what have you. I guess working for what you have is out of style today ."

Hmmm. Do I really need to point out that you said a family member giving him a vintage Rolex is "not respectable"?

So without knowing the first thing about his family's character, you said they are not respectable. Yeah, that's an insult.

Then you went on a diatribe about teens having an entitlement mentality and not working for what they have. That's a lot of assumptions going on. You didn't know if he worked or not. You didn't know what values his family instilled in him. You didn't know anything at all about him, but that didn't stop you from characterizing him as "entitled" and unloading your anger on him.

Yeah, it was an attack based on zero knowledge. Not cool. Not cool at all.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Couldn't help but notice. You got bizarrely insecure when a teenager mentioned he has a rolex. Typically, when a person comes across something, it's always faced with an "I see". But any sense of astonishment, abrupt judgement and veiled criticism is mere projection of your insecurity that it took as long as adulthood for someone like you to get a rolex (which is admirable, standing ovation for upliftment in life) whereas a teenager got it earlier, becoz he didn't grow up in a farm like you and therefore is accused of entitlement becoz teens around you behave so. Where are you going with this? I thought everyone can appreciate that 90sman likes his rolex and move on. It's the fashion forum.

And what's with the CFO/CEO thing. You sound like Ace Ventura who goes from man to man trying locate his finger ring, even in the men's urinal. Do you keep checking who wears a watch and who doesn't? Have you really been to a professional gathering? Try sneaking into everyone's attire and see what happens. That's more like lady's business. They are adept at noticing everything without the person even realizing he's being noticed - from polished shoes to hairstyle.

CEO's wear loose suits. Even if they are wearing a watch, it's hardly visible, unless he pulls his arm and stretches while pointing something or drawing something from the dessert table. Even then, who notices these things?

At least 90sman didn't say every teenager must wear a rolex at graduation as a sign of whatever.
I subtly notice things about people and the two things that I normally pick up on are if a male is wearing a watch as well as what car they drive. I've always noticed those two items, it's fairly common. I think you're blowing everything out of proportion.

Have you ever worked in a corporate atmosphere? I'm starting to doubt that as almost all executives who I know wear well-cut, tailored suits, NOT loose fitting suits. This isn't 1980s Miami where loose and pastel-colored suits are in vogue.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I subtly notice things about people and the two things that I normally pick up on are if a male is wearing a watch as well as what car they drive. I've always noticed those two items, it's fairly common. I think you're blowing everything out of proportion.

Have you ever worked in a corporate atmosphere? I'm starting to doubt that as almost all executives who I know wear well-cut, tailored suits, NOT loose fitting suits. This isn't 1980s Miami where loose and pastel-colored suits are in vogue.
Yeah, right. Everyone looks like the slim-fitted boys on MTV. And besides, I never paid attention to the minute details of executive wardrobe. That's the first sign of insecurity, trying to see if you match up to their level. They gather around in groups and discuss business things. That I pay minute attention to.

I'm starting to think you're one of those guys who desperately pulls the shirt up and tries to make others watch the watch. Let's hope you ride out of this crisis.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah, right. Everyone looks like the slim-fitted boys on MTV.

I'm starting to think you're one of those guys who desperately pulls the shirt up and tries to make others watch the watch. Let's hope you ride out of this crisis.
Well I don't know where you live but most people here try to live fairly healthy. We're not overweight.

I'm starting to think you know zero about the corporate world and must frequent an Internet forum to boast their self image.

Hey if you're going to be judgmental, I'll return the favor.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Well I don't know where you live but most people here try to live fairly healthy. We're not overweight.

I'm starting to think you know zero about the corporate world and must frequent an Internet forum to boast their self image.

Hey if you're going to be judgmental, I'll return the favor.
Nobody in this thread is trying to prove self-worth as much as you are.

You remind me of people I term "new money". They are always insecure on the inside. Like they say, once a mouse, always a mouse. It speaks a lot about your self-esteem. No judgement, it screams out here and there. I'm just writing out my observation.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Nobody in this thread is trying to prove self-worth as much as you are.

You remind me of people I term "new money". They are always insecure on the inside. Like they say, once a mouse, always a mouse.
Exactly how am I trying to prove self worth?

Obviously you have some sort of inferiority complex if you feel compelled to prop yourself above all others. You must not have much of a social life, I don't think you've acquried those skills yet.

You seem to make "observations" without pointing out concrete examples. Blanket statements really don't say much of your intellectual capacity. I guess Monday morning I'll go to my job while you can search for someone else on an Internet forum to harass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty