Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:01 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times

Advertisements

It's a 45. I don't really like anything bigger than that really, I had one watch that was 50 something. Not only did it look horrible on me, but it was heavy and uncomfortable.

But, I really like the Classico.

I like Tsovet too...good watches for the price range.

But, I won't mind spending 1-2k on a nicewatch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 08:38 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times

Old 02-28-2012, 09:05 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
This is one of my husband's watches (Invicta Subaqua):

I LOVE it and want one for myself! I just wish they made one this size with diamonds in the bezel.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:08 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
There really is no such thing as a "necessary accessory", all accessories are unnecessary in that context.

I do believe a male professional working in a corporate setting should wear a watch and yes it's my opinion but I believe I'd find a good number of people who'd agree with me. I work in a corporate setting and the vast majority of men wear watches as an accent to their outfit particularly the upper-executive set.

I'm not fretting about it, I just feel a watch shows a higher maturity level. You tend to appreciate these type of things as you get older. I don't think I've ever seen my dad or any of my older relatives without watches.

And what the hell is a global manager?
Often times, I see this trend on message boards. To buttress their point, people always pull one of these few:

1. I'm a white collar worker in a white collar environment
2. I work with executives
3. I make six figures
4. I have a Mac
5. et cetera

When none of these have any bearing on the veiled message you are trying to thrust upon other professionals, becoz you believe watches are a sign of professionalism and now, suddenly, a sign of maturity as you put it.

Recalling my old posts, I've pulled one of the four myself, but have largely avoided it of late owing to some self-imposed maturity if you will. It's very tempting to put that front when attempting to put some point across expecting 100% approval and then running into an annoying naysayer.

It's a personal preference and that's about it.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
This is one of my husband's watches (Invicta Subaqua):

I LOVE it and want one for myself! I just wish they made one this size with diamonds in the bezel.
Invicta's are a good alternative to get some popular styles of watches for 1/100 of the price of the genuine article.

Invicta has some pretty good Rolex imitations that are hard to differentiate until you actually get a good look at the face. I've ALWAYS wanted a Rolex Daytona (one of my dream watches) and Invicta makes the Speedway which is a fairly good homage to the Daytona.

Speedyway ($70)

Rolex Daytona ($11,000)

I also wouldn't mind having a gold Day-Date either.

http://www.rolex-men.com/images/2/12803019054.JPG (broken link)

Old 02-28-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Often times, I see this trend on message boards. To buttress their point, people always pull one of these few:

1. I'm a white collar worker in a white collar environment
2. I work with executives
3. I make six figures
4. I have a Mac
5. et cetera

When none of these have any bearing on the veiled message you are trying to thrust upon other professionals, becoz you believe watches are a sign of professionalism and now, suddenly, a sign of maturity as you put it.

Recalling my old posts, I've pulled one of the four myself, but have largely avoided it of late owing to some self-imposed maturity if you will. It's very tempting to put that front when attempting to put some point across expecting 100% approval and then running into an annoying naysayer.

It's a personal preference and that's about it.
Haven't you ever heard of anecdotal evidence? I'm sorry if my experience offends you.

And it seems as if I have a good number of people who agree with me and also have had similar experiences.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
My sister just got a Rolex for Christmas (her fiance is a watch collector.) I've never been a fan of them (except for some of the Cellinis) for some reason. I think it's because they all look the same to me.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Agree completely. There's a certain level of decorum that should be maintained particularly when one is in a meeting with clients and/or company executives. Pulling out a cell phone at a meeting, even if it IS only to check the time, is frowned upon in the corporate world because it is often seen as disrespectful and unprofessional.

A young guy, straight out of college, joined our company a few months ago and at his FIRST meeting with potential clients, he pulled out his cell phone and responded to a text! Right in the middle of a fairly important meeting. Needless to say, he was scolded pretty harshly by MY boss after doing such a stupid thing. Don't these kids learn manners anymore?

Cufflinks are reserved for formal attire in my book, I rarely wear them even with a suit. Unless I'm going to a black-tie event, I leave them in my drawer at home.
I don't know what kind of corporate world they run down in Arizona, but over here in wall street corporate email is on everyone's blackberry all the time. And people keep a tab on it, even during meetings. People don't care if it's considered rude by people who think cell phones are used for texting and looking up time.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My sister just got a Rolex for Christmas (her fiance is a watch collector.) I've never been a fan of them (except for some of the Cellinis) for some reason. I think it's because they all look the same to me.
That statement could be considered blasphemous in the watch collector world.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
I don't know what kind of corporate world they run down in Arizona, but over here in wall street corporate email is on everyone's blackberry all the time. And people keep a tab on it, even during meetings. People don't care if it's considered rude by people who think cell phones are used for texting and looking up time.
You still use Blackberry's? Ehh we've all switched over to ACTUAL smartphones, not the intermediate phone between dumb and smart.

So you're saying if you're meeting with a client, it's alright for someone to be constantly checking their phone for messages and emails? That's terribly rude and disrespectful and would NOT fly where I work. I guess we still have a level of decorum my firm maintains, no email has to be checked at the EXACT moment received or the world is going to blow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty