Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:39 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Curious as to home many men and women wear watches as an accessory nowadays. It saddens me to see the next generation of young professionals ditching quality timepieces in favor of digital Casio's and alike.

I think watches make a great accessory particularly for men who are really limited in the type of accessories that are socially acceptable in a white-collar environment.

What do you all think?
I have 5 watches ranging from Rolex to Casio G-Shock. I wear watches because i want to know the time immediately. Dont want to fumble around finding my phone. I also consider a Watch an accessory and in some cases jewelry, so its about wearing the right watch in the right occasion, so for instance im not going to wear my casio to a wedding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 08:38 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
If you want to get down to brass tacks, you shouldn't wear ANY watch with formal attire. I know James Bond did it, but that doesn't make it right.

I have no problem fitting my 44mm Panerai Luminor under most of my shirt sleeves.
Interesting. Where did you hear that? Aesthetically, I find a watch completes a formal look. Just my opinion though, have no hard facts supporting this.

My husband's a Panerai fan too!

My favorite watch- the Meisterstuck I mentioned early- is also my biggest at 40 mm. I believe it's actually a men's watch but I love it. Granted when I wear it depends on my outfit for that day. I am wearing a dress today and stuck to a significantly smaller Hermes bracelet style watch.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
To clarify, by "formal" I mean black tie, not just any suit. Watches with suits are A-OK.

The watches with tuxedos thing is just something that I've heard often in my adult life.

A quick Google search turned up this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_tie

"Traditionally, however, visible timepieces are not worn with formal evening dress, because timekeeping is not considered a priority."

http://thewelldressedman.net/the-bla...ion-the-how-to

"What NOT to wear:....Flashy watches (not wearing a watch is the proper way)"

There are several other articles that say the same thing - it's become more accepted, but *traditionally* you would not wear a watch with formal dress.

Last edited by hooligan; 02-29-2012 at 08:52 AM..

Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,776,075 times
I've always had an appreciation for nice watches. I currently wear an Oris TT1, but I've owned several Omegas, a Tudor Sub, Hamiltons, and some Seikos and Citizens. I'm kicking myself for not picking up a Rolex Sub when they were $5K new and $3K used just a few years ago. Now that every celebrity and his grandmother is wearing one the prices have shot through the roof. Same with Omegas. I bought my Omega Speedmaster new with a discount for $1,700 less than 5 years ago, now it cost twice that.

I like those vintage Omegas, I had one but after getting used to 42mm and up watches, I couldn't get used to the 36mm.

Breitling Navitimers are nice too. Not a fan of watches that are too big, they start looking too clunky like your wearing a tuna can on your wrist. IWC, Baume & Mercier, Longines, and several other brands make some nice watches as well.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,710,427 times
Quote:
To clarify, by "formal" I mean black tie, not just any suit. Watches with suits are A-OK.

The watches with tuxedos thing is just something that I've heard often in my adult life.

A quick Google search turned up this:

Black tie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Traditionally, however, visible timepieces are not worn with formal evening dress, because timekeeping is not considered a priority."

The Black-Tie Invitation: The How-To | TheWellDressedMan.net – Men's Fashion Advice Online

"What NOT to wear:....Flashy watches (not wearing a watch is the proper way)"

There are several other articles that say the same thing - it's become more accepted, but *traditionally* you would not wear a watch with formal dress.
One of the reasons I mentioned in my first post. Nothing flashy or even remotely appearing desperate on the crocodile. A watch may be a nice thing, but it's completely unnecessary on a dress suit, be it professional or a black tie event.

It's a fading custom.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,710,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The other day I saw a guy in a more casual outfit with cufflinks on (sweater, button down, dress pants, and leather dress sneakers). I was totally excited, he was really stylish (and looked to be late 20s or so) so rare to see that. Especially in casual california -- where no one needs to wear a suit to work.
I try a V-neck full sweater on a french cuff shirt some Fridays. It can look nice. Have to hit the right colour note and needs the right body. Colour combinations would go like a really pale blue french cuff shirt, azure blue V-neck and knotted cufflinks (this is where knotted cufflinks come in very handy, they all look like they are in unison, silver or crystal can be nice too) A woollen sports blazer to top this off.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 AM

Coolhand, my smallest watch right now is the Longines Legend Diver at 42mm and I love it to bits.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
One of the reasons I mentioned in my first post. Nothing flashy or even remotely appearing desperate on the crocodile. A watch may be a nice thing, but it's completely unnecessary on a dress suit, be it professional or a black tie event.

It's a fading custom.

Negative, totally appropriate with a suit during the day. Black tie in the evening? Not so much.

That's where I'm at.

Just Google "watch forum" and see if watches are truly a fading custom - they aren't.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
Quote:
Negative, totally appropriate with a suit during the day. Black tie in the evening? Not so much.

That's where I'm at.

Just Google "watch forum" and see if watches are truly a fading custom - they aren't.
I'm just curious as to why you think a watch isn't appropriate at a black tie event? Granted I try to avoid as many of these type of places as possible but when I feel compelled to attend, I'm always sporting my Datejust. Just curious, to each their own.

Something I tend to notice with the older guys at my firm is that they wear a gold watch on their left arm and on their right, they sport a gold chain bracelet. My dad does this as well. Is this a new trend or something?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Curious as to home many men and women wear watches as an accessory nowadays. It saddens me to see the next generation of young professionals ditching quality timepieces in favor of digital Casio's and alike.

I think watches make a great accessory particularly for men who are really limited in the type of accessories that are socially acceptable in a white-collar environment.

What do you all think?
I wear a watch everyday. I don't wear it for fashion though. I need something that is sturdy and will hold up to abuse. Those suit watches would break in a heartbeat with what they are put through. I think even a Rolex would. I need something waterproof, shockproof and durable. Something that will take a full-on 12 gauge recoil blast between the buttstock and the concrete. My favorite are these...(1) MTM Military Watches|Tactical|Special Ops|Navy Seals|Special Forces (2) Classic - DW6900MS-1 | Casio - G-Shock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty