Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times

Advertisements

I started wearing glasses in the third grade, but I didn't need them regularly until the eigth grade. I felt more awkward wearing them in high school than I do now. I've always stuck to light, less obvious frames, so I don't really feel like I'm "wearing" them. However, I have been considering contacts for a change; but I'm honestly fearful of doing something wrong and possibly infecting/damaging my eyes.

I don't understand the huge frame "craze", especially, If you really don't need glasses for much. I suspect the people wearing such frames today will be embarrassed 5-10 years from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
So...people shouldn't wear glasses they like? I have to wear my glasses every waking second...they're not an accessory, more like an appendage. If they're going to be something with that heavy of wearing, they're obviously going to be something I like the look of.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:53 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
it is the 'in' thing for these people to say they like nerds or think nerds are 'hot' when really that's not even true. but anyways, some of us that wear glasses don't have a choice so it's not a trend. i used to wear contacts and now i beleive it's stupid to wear them just b/c glasses have some kind of negative stigma. i wear my glasses, every day, 24/7 and don't care if people like them or not.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
So...people shouldn't wear glasses they like? I have to wear my glasses every waking second...they're not an accessory, more like an appendage. If they're going to be something with that heavy of wearing, they're obviously going to be something I like the look of.
Me too! I switch off between the contacts and glasses, at home or on a lazy day I wear glasses.

I wear contacts when I am going out. I am really nearsighted, so my eyes look tiny in my glasses. I got picked on because of my "small" eyes as a kid, so I like to wear contacts so people can see them!

I like to pick out the best possible frames, with interesting details, because if I need to wear them, they better be cute! My current pair looks a little like wood grain, and I get loads of compliments.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:19 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I don't understand the huge frame "craze", especially, If you really don't need glasses for much. I suspect the people wearing such frames today will be embarrassed 5-10 years from now.
I think so too; it'll be like looking back at pics from 1974 and everyone was wearing baby-blue polyester suits and garish ties. Nasty!

As long as I can keep passing the vision test at the DMV, I'm not getting glasses! So far so good.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:29 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I wear my glasses more now. For 13 years I would wear only my contacts, but as I've gotten older it's just easier to throw on my glasses than to worry about my contacts. I also no longer have to carry eye drops, extra contact solution, my contacts case, and my glasses just in case. The only thing I dislike is the fogging when I go from outside to inside in the winter.
This.

Me exactly.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:35 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Seriously, it seems like everywhere I look people are wearing glasses nowadays and i find it hard to believe that everyone that does actually needs them. Maybe it has something to do with this whole "nerds are cool and sexy" thing that's in nowadays. I just find it odd and kinda sad because the people that I know that actually need glasses don't like wearing them out in public.

Does anyone else notice this?

I wear glasses now because I need them to see clearly and cannot wear contacts. Quite an adjustment for me because I did not need glasses until I was 45 years old.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:30 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times
I was always too afraid of hurting my eyes with those contacts. I also have always feared the risks of laser eye surgery. Also, several times before I became disabled, when I used to hike in the woods, a branch bent back and hit me in the eye. Glasses may not be the ideal protection, but in those cases they certainly were much better than nothing. So I really do not care about style in this case because of those benefits and risks.

But back to the style sense...They may not be "in style" but I think there is less stigma in wearing them than years ago. Even today, some kids may be called "four eyes" but I do not think it is the same as 1942. There is more worse disabilities to have than glasses and i think that most people are more aware of that now.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
I wear glasses at the computer, and they are comfortable. I like the look of them.

maybe it is a trend, but I like glasses on people.
they look cool.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:08 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
it is the 'in' thing for these people to say they like nerds or think nerds are 'hot' when really that's not even true. but anyways, some of us that wear glasses don't have a choice so it's not a trend. i used to wear contacts and now i beleive it's stupid to wear them just b/c glasses have some kind of negative stigma. i wear my glasses, every day, 24/7 and don't care if people like them or not.
I prefer my contacts not because of some stigma, but because I think I look better, I see better, and contacts are more convenient when I want to do something active like go for a run or go swimming. Plus, contacts don't fog up in fluctuating temperatures and humidities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty