Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:32 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,165,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Seriously, it seems like everywhere I look people are wearing glasses nowadays and i find it hard to believe that everyone that does actually needs them. Maybe it has something to do with this whole "nerds are cool and sexy" thing that's in nowadays. I just find it odd and kinda sad because the people that I know that actually need glasses don't like wearing them out in public.

Does anyone else notice this?
I don't know why anyone would want to wear them if they aren't needed. I'm supposed to as I am getting older but don't. I own a pair for when I really need them in the worst way. I try to function without them as much as I can. Glasses are a liability. If they get broke or lost, you are screwed. If you can somehow manage to function without them, that is what guys like me should be doing. I also want to get laser as soon as I can. I should have done it a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 AM

878 posts, read 2,006,969 times
i don't find it much of a trend for me anymore. when i wore prescription glasses, all I ever wanted was to wear sunglasses to look "cool". Now that I have contacts, the sun shining on your naked eyes is an annoyance.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,953,728 times
I wear glasses because I have to. I'm nerdy and proud.

Contacts are choice for me, but they bother me with allergies and whatnot. Have to make it through the season, then I'm back to them

Old 03-07-2012, 11:57 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,608,997 times
Glasses are a fashion accessory for a lot of people (me included). I rarely wear contacts because they all irritate my eyes, especially out here in the desert where they dry out and get hazy if I leave my eyes open for more than a few seconds. Since they are functional and a fashion accessory, it's possible that a lot of people are just not wearing contacts as much either.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,608,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
That's the sad part to me. Wearing glasses when they don't really need to will just screw up their eyesight very fast.
People have plano lenses made for fashion reasons all the time. It poses no risk to eyesight.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM

228 posts, read 499,057 times
I have a co-worker who wears glasses just for fashion. They look good on her.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:27 PM

25,662 posts, read 21,825,826 times
I started wearing glasses in 1963. They used to be glass and they were heavy and uncomfortable. I got contacts in the 80's and they seemed nice in the beginning but it was a hassle to take care of them if one does it correctly and I did so managed to never get an infection. When we moved to AZ, it was so dry that they became impossible to tolerate so I switched back to glasses in around 1995. I do not regret that decision at all. They are so light now. They have become a fashion accessory and I am able to buy them at a good source online and can afford more than one. They have every style one could imagine so it would not surprise me if some of those envious people who don't need corrective lenses are opting for clear lenses and cool new looks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty