Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was there ever a Stunning First Lady?
Absolutely and she was? 25 86.21%
Not a chance. The President must have a plain wife 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:11 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times

Advertisements

I think that Jacqueline Kennedy-Onasis' problem as she aged was that she was too thin. If she had been about 5-10 pounds heavier, I think it would have removed some of the severity from her appearance as she aged. She was a stylish First Lady, to be sure.

Michele Obama's problem is that stylistically she thinks that it is acceptable to be "herself," which shows in some of the fashion faux pas, like wearing a cardigan to meet HRH The Queen Elizabeth. I think this is due, in part, to trying to appeal to a "softer" female demographic, which she might not ordinarily appeal to as a career woman, whereas many other First Ladies had long since abandoned career pursuits to be political wives/patrons of charity/mothers/etc. I think that she could learn more by borrowing stylistically from someone like Condoleeeza Rice than tending toward experimentation with fashion that attempts to portray her as an "average, ordinary" mother because her role as First Lady of the United States is anything but average and ordinary. The baseball caps, running pants, J. Crew cardigans, etc. are fine for when she is at Camp David, or on vacation, but not when she is in the public eye at events or appearing with her husband. If he is in a suit, she should be in similar dress attire, adhering to protocol.

Hillary Clinton was cast in a similar light when she was First Lady, because of the fact that she had been a career woman, though Hillary did take her role seriously, and dressed appropriately for the role. I think that the stress of the Clinton Presidency took its toll on Hillary, and aged her as much as it did The President, by the time the eight years had ended.

Carla Bruni is a stunning First Lady of France, and a credit to the French fashion industry, whom she supports with her clothing choices. She was a model, and was born to a wealthy family, so she has had more time and opportunity to perfect her style.

Another stunning first lady on the international scene, is Asma al-Assad of Syria, and, of course, Queen Rania of Jordan.

There have been many attractive First Ladies of the United States, to be sure, but accounting for the subjective definition of beauty makes for interesting opinions.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-01-2012, 07:39 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Explanation for this ^^^

(enough said)

What does my current location have to do with anything? Should I change it to include where I was raised, where I lived, and where I currently live? Would it make a difference if I did, are my opinions less valid to you to based on where I currently reside? What exactly are you trying to imply with that post anyway?

Old 03-01-2012, 08:07 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
It's been my experience that people tend to judge black women's looks much more harshly than other races of women. Their minds will immediately go to a trait they find negative 9 times out of 10 FIRST. Beyonce? She's 'loud and obnoxious,' Halle Berry: 'she was a terrible Catwoman' These things might actually be true too; but it's the idea that it is usually a negative trait that comes to their minds when it concerns a black woman as opposed to a positive one. How about Beyonce seems to be a decent role model? or Halle Berry is an Oscar winner? See what I'm saying? Michelle Obama isn't a bad looking woman, neither is Laura Bush IMO. But people have an image of what they expect a black woman to be and when she doesn't fit that -- they bash the hell out of her. I've had it happen to me and seen it happen time and again. Nothing new to me, personally.

Now, folks may not like that take on it -- but oh well.
Actually, your post is spot on and has been proven many, many times over.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:18 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
What does my current location have to do with anything? Should I change it to include where I was raised, where I lived, and where I currently live? Would it make a difference if I did, are my opinions less valid to you to based on where I currently reside? What exactly are you trying to imply with that post anyway?
Do you like NASCAR?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:19 AM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
It's been my experience that people tend to judge black women's looks much more harshly than other races of women. Their minds will immediately go to a trait they find negative 9 times out of 10 FIRST. Beyonce? She's 'loud and obnoxious,' Halle Berry: 'she was a terrible Catwoman' These things might actually be true too; but it's the idea that it is usually a negative trait that comes to their minds when it concerns a black woman as opposed to a positive one. How about Beyonce seems to be a decent role model? or Halle Berry is an Oscar winner? See what I'm saying? Michelle Obama isn't a bad looking woman, neither is Laura Bush IMO. But people have an image of what they expect a black woman to be and when she doesn't fit that -- they bash the hell out of her. I've had it happen to me and seen it happen time and again. Nothing new to me, personally.

Now, folks may not like that take on it -- but oh well.
I think the negatives are from just a vocal few as usual. And they are loud and often enough that it seems like many. In general most women judge the first ladies as being much more attractive then most men do. In Michelles case almost all women here seem to judge her as being attractive. Men overall would say Average. In my opinion she really doesn't have any features that stand out as beautiful but I think she has a inner elegance that is similar to Jackie O, who is also average (My opinion). I'm sure Michelle is getting extra exposure and scrutiny as the first black First Lady and I'm sure some will take the criticsm more personally than others. Im sure she will be judged as a great First Lady by history but will not be considered great looking by the majority of us Men.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 03-01-2012 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 11:07 AM

217 posts, read 806,379 times
Haven't read all the responses, but here's MY 2 pfennings.......

Prettiest 1L's:

Letitia Tyler
Dolley Madison (Facially? Meh.....But on the list, because she probably had the biggest boobs of any 1L!)
Ellen Arthur
Hellen Taft
Grace Coolidge
Jackie O

On the flip side.....The ugliest 1L's:

Eliza Johnson
Julia Grant (She looks like Miss Gulch, of The Wizard of Oz!)
Edith Wilson
Eleanor Roosevelt
Bess Truman

Old 03-01-2012, 11:14 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
I think people bash Democrat women more harshly than women who are Republican because it seems men on the Republican side are the loudest.

Check out Condolezza Rice vs Michelle.
Michelle looks ten times better than Condi,yet why does Michelle get bashed for her looks more?
Hmmmm.......
Hilary got bashed ten times more than Laura....
Nancy Pelosi gets bashed ten times more than women on the Repub side.

Its because women on the Dem side are seen as more of a threat to the power of men.

My opinion,take it or leave it.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Julias represent!

I am thinking about the first ladies who are commonly portrayed as ideal, like Dolley Madison. Who else is recognized for being philanthropic, gracious, or generally well-loved?

Old 03-01-2012, 12:17 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I think people bash Democrat women more harshly than women who are Republican because it seems men on the Republican side are the loudest.

Michelle looks ten times better than Condi,yet why does Michelle get bashed for her looks more?
Hmmmm.......

Its because women on the Dem side are seen as more of a threat to the power of men.

Becoz the boys get their fashion tips from Hannity.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 PM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Hmmmm.......

"Condolezza Rice" If there was ever a woman who would be my dream date it would be Condi! Talk about interesting: She is probably one of the most accomplished women on the planet: "Smart", "bright", "Talented", "Educated", "An accomplished Musician", "NSA", Secretary of State" , you name it: she made it to the top. She has to be bad at something

Sorry, I digress, but you brought her up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty