Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was there ever a Stunning First Lady?
Absolutely and she was? 25 86.21%
Not a chance. The President must have a plain wife 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:58 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Umm, no one in this thread has said that anyone was a racist for not liking Michelle Obama's or any other First Ladies' style. Where is this coming from?
Well I knew it would only be a matter of time before it came into the equation as evidenced in the posts below...when you haven't got a leg to stand on, play the race card as your crutch.

Quote:
The reason that certain people are being called out for the Michelle Obama bashing is because these same people were fairly indifferent to Barbara Bush, Hillary Clinton and Laura Bush (none of which were either attractive or stylish....yet they say the most vile things about Michelle Obama.

Hmmm, now what is particularly "different" about Michelle Obama that makes certain types of people get so riled up that they actually call her (an obviously attractive woman and definitely more attractive than the past 7 or 8 First Ladies) unattractive or even ugly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
It's been my experience that people tend to judge black women's looks much more harshly than other races of women. Their minds will immediately go to a trait they find negative 9 times out of 10 FIRST. Beyonce? She's 'loud and obnoxious,' Halle Berry: 'she was a terrible Catwoman' These things might actually be true too; but it's the idea that it is usually a negative trait that comes to their minds when it concerns a black woman as opposed to a positive one. How about Beyonce seems to be a decent role model? or Halle Berry is an Oscar winner? See what I'm saying? Michelle Obama isn't a bad looking woman, neither is Laura Bush IMO. But people have an image of what they expect a black woman to be and when she doesn't fit that -- they bash the hell out of her. I've had it happen to me and seen it happen time and again. Nothing new to me, personally.

Now, folks may not like that take on it -- but oh well.
I've never heard Beyonce take a hit for her looks. She's one of the most beautiful women on the planet. Is she a high maintenance diva, sure? But that comes with the territory. Plenty of white entertainers are criticized just as much if not more.

Halle Berry has been considered to be one of the most beautiful women as well, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Your catwoman example is weak. No one was criticizing her because she's black. That's just more paranoia and rhetoric.

Quote:
Actually, your post is spot on and has been proven many, many times over.
Why am I not surprised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I think people bash Democrat women more harshly than women who are Republican because it seems men on the Republican side are the loudest.

Check out Condolezza Rice vs Michelle.
Michelle looks ten times better than Condi,yet why does Michelle get bashed for her looks more?
Hmmmm.......
Hilary got bashed ten times more than Laura....
Nancy Pelosi gets bashed ten times more than women on the Repub side.

Its because women on the Dem side are seen as more of a threat to the power of men.

My opinion,take it or leave it.
I disagree. Sarah Palin took more ridicule and criticism than Hillary, Pelosi and Michelle combined. Barbara Bush was never a media darling and took her fair share of ridicule as well. Truth is, most people have a difficult time being objective and impartial with this topic. I do not consider myself a democrat or republican, I despise each side equally, and I really don't have a dog (no pun intended) in this fight. But some people automatically assume I am some right wing fanatic because I don't find Michelle attractive. That really speaks volumes about those people's mentality.

Some people automatically jump on the race card which to me destroys their credibility.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:05 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
I didn't bother to check on her links until later. That James Brown attempt is awful. Whoever made that and even those who endorse that kind of garbage should be ashamed. Reflects on their level of education. Comparing a woman to a man is an unforgivable insult.

Here's an old picture. Probably less to no make-up at all. She has distinctive facial features which are aesthetically considered pretty.

http://cache.jezebel.com/assets/imag...ide5-barry.jpg

I think she is the first FL any normal person can relate with. So far, everybody had always looked New England country clubbish. You know those rich and fat cat white dames who are SO reserved and speak about uplifting Africa, the Amazon, Tibet and the penguins in Antarctica. All of them played by the same good wife playbook.
This is a really nice picture. I agree with you on Michelle Obama. Not the "conventional" beauty, but a beauty nonetheless.

Several other first ladies shown in this thread possess beauty (conventional and unconventional) as well. But, really, using pictures of them as young ladies before their spouses' presidencies doesn't count, IMO. And the one that many harp on as being the prettiest died before her husband took office, no? She doesn't count either.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:09 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Do you like NASCAR?
Nope, football, basketball, baseball, hockey, tennis, golf, and soccer. I do like Baja racing and the Le Mans as well as some other FIA GT1 races; but not NASCAR.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:18 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
good post.

I'm still trying to figure out why the "attractiveness" of any First Lady even matters ....
Good question. Especially considering that politically ambitious men don't seem to have the need for a trophy wife. It couldn't be that they have more substantial considerations and agendas, could it?

Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
I think Rosalynn Carter is the most attractive.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
And young Martha Washington was beautiful!

Old 03-01-2012, 06:18 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Well I knew it would only be a matter of time before it came into the equation as evidenced in the posts below...when you haven't got a leg to stand on, play the race card as your crutch.

I've never heard Beyonce take a hit for her looks. She's one of the most beautiful women on the planet. Is she a high maintenance diva, sure? But that comes with the territory. Plenty of white entertainers are criticized just as much if not more.

Halle Berry has been considered to be one of the most beautiful women as well, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Your catwoman example is weak. No one was criticizing her because she's black. That's just more paranoia and rhetoric.

Why am I not surprised?

I disagree. Sarah Palin took more ridicule and criticism than Hillary, Pelosi and Michelle combined. Barbara Bush was never a media darling and took her fair share of ridicule as well. Truth is, most people have a difficult time being objective and impartial with this topic. I do not consider myself a democrat or republican, I despise each side equally, and I really don't have a dog (no pun intended) in this fight. But some people automatically assume I am some right wing fanatic because I don't find Michelle attractive. That really speaks volumes about those people's mentality.

Some people automatically jump on the race card which to me destroys their credibility.
whatever. simple enough.

Anytime someone mentions race it is automatically 'race card' material. I wish they would get a new line, because that one is played out. Like I said if you don't like it: TOO BAD, SO SAD. I don't know what else to tell you.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:46 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Call it what you will but the new tactic of certain types is to yell "race card" whenever they are called out for comments that can be construed as biased/bigoted/prejudice/racist.

This is a thread about the most attractive First Ladies and of course some have used this opportunity to vent their personal political biases. And notice that despite how unattractive some First Ladies may or may not be/have been there is one in particular FL that is viciously targeted consistently by the exact same clan. Its very petty and the motivation is quite transparent.

Tis all.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:49 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,889 times
Jackie.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:39 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
whatever. simple enough.

Anytime someone mentions race it is automatically 'race card' material. I wish they would get a new line, because that one is played out. Like I said if you don't like it: TOO BAD, SO SAD. I don't know what else to tell you.
You are borderline hostile and all of your posts are laced with hate, negativity, misery, and racial paranoia. Zero credibility.

Quote:
Call it what you will but the new tactic of certain types is to yell "race card" whenever they are called out for comments that can be construed as biased/bigoted/prejudice/racist.

This is a thread about the most attractive First Ladies and of course some have used this opportunity to vent their personal political biases. And notice that despite how unattractive some First Ladies may or may not be/have been there is one in particular FL that is viciously targeted consistently by the exact same clan. Its very petty and the motivation is quite transparent.

Tis all.
Michelle gets a lion's share of the press and media admiration, hence the lion's share of criticism. You are obviously an intelligent and articulate individual, which is why it makes it all the more disappointing that you would assume race is the sole motive for anyone who doesn't find her attractive. Shame on you Cali.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty