Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,834 times

Advertisements

I don't remove the peach fuzz on my arms since it's so light, but if you're shaving that frequently, I say laser it, too. It doesn't have to be expensive. Groupon has discounts quite often, if you prefer to go that route.

As for the pain, I'm a swimmer, and I'm a woman, so shaving and female bathing suits can be uncomfortable (men, read: friction on the bathing suit line), not to mention freshly shaving then diving into a pool, salt water or chlorine, can irritate the skin.

So I laser my legs, bikini area, and underarms. I've been to countless laser clinics in MD over the last 7 - 10 years, each using different types of lasers, and different intensities.

The clinics with the more intense lasers giving you the better results will give you a prescription numbing cream that you apply 45-60 mins prior to treatment.

The clinics that have the less intense lasers typically just apply a cooling gel to counteract the heat from the laser.

Obviously, the laser that requires the numbing cream can be felt more, but I wouldn't say either are painful. A laser tattoo removal right over a bone before the numbing cream has activated, now that's painful.

If you're in Maryland, DM me and I can give you some recommendations on where to go, and where to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 02:46 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,041 times
No, I do not shave anything. I need every single hair to warm me, lol

Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,696 times
I used to bleach mine, but since I moved to the South I kind of have a little bit of perma-tan on my arms year-round and the strong sun seems to have bleached the hair a little so it's barely visible now.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:18 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,855,620 times
No, and I have just enough arm hair that you can see it, being dark haired and all. I don't mean like a man, but kinda like Alyssa Milano if you've seen her arms.

I just don't see the big deal. It's not "unfeminine" to have some arm hair. We're ADULTS after all, and adult bodies grow hair, even female ones.

I shave the legs and pits but beyond that, meh. Seems like a bunch of unnecessary extra work. My husband doesn't expect, or even like, anything more than that, and I don't expect or want him to "manscape" either.

Funny thing is I am FAR from some earthy-hippie type.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:50 PM

5 posts, read 3,868 times
You may want to try lightening it instead, but if you're really gung-ho on removing it completely, I personally would try Nair or some other hair-removeable process that will remove the hair below the skin line and not be as noticeable as shaving. Waxing is another way to go but that can be painful so my first suggestion would be Nair.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:26 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
For guys, would a electrolysis pen be a good way to go?

Old 07-09-2012, 12:25 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times
No way am I shaving my arms. The hair is barely noticeable on my brown skin. I'd like to keep it this way.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:42 PM

506 posts, read 1,956,025 times
I've lasered everything from neck down. I did this over 6 years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. It was costly and FAR FROM pain free, but it worked great and I never have to do anything now.

But, yes... that painless/painfree crap is an absolute lie. It hurt SO MUCH, especially towards the last few sessions. In certain areas, I resorted to using the numbing cream, which only helped somewhat. Cold towels was the only thing that really eased the pain. Worth it, yes... but I am so glad I got it over with.

Oh, and prior to that, I never touched the hair on my arms. Never really noticed it or took much concern regarding it. But, that being said, I love how my arms look now!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,505,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
I've lasered everything from neck down. I did this over 6 years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. It was costly and FAR FROM pain free, but it worked great and I never have to do anything now.

But, yes... that painless/painfree crap is an absolute lie. It hurt SO MUCH, especially towards the last few sessions. In certain areas, I resorted to using the numbing cream, which only helped somewhat. Cold towels was the only thing that really eased the pain. Worth it, yes... but I am so glad I got it over with.

Oh, and prior to that, I never touched the hair on my arms. Never really noticed it or took much concern regarding it. But, that being said, I love how my arms look now!
What was the cost?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:46 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
It makes your skin feel so much softer when you shave your arms. I started a couple of years ago and love the feeling and look much better. I wish I could afford to get them waxed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty