Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 06:24 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why are models naturally thin people?! Only because designers, agencies etc. cast thin models. It is not a law of nature. We could simply redefine what a model is supposed to look like.
In other cultures, for instance in black Africa, they have different ideas of what women should look like. There are lots of Angolan girls and women here in Portugal, I would say 80 to 90% are not what would we would call naturally thin, nor are they obese, still they are very attractive and beautiful. After all appearance is what modeling, fashion, etc. is all about.
Bad examples for what? For girls to follow and emulate. There is no point for a girl who because of her genes is not cut out to be thin to desperately try and become thin. And when she does not succeed, she may feel fat and start to dislike herself.

I did not say models are poor examples. I said models that are too thin are poor examples. And although there is no absolute standard for what is too thin, the Israeli government hat taken first steps to define just that. It might not be the ideal measuere yet, but still, better than nothing.
Depends on what is being modeled. For runway/haute couture, the focus is on the clothing/designs and not the model at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 06:28 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
So the message you want to send to kids is...it's bad to be thin? If you're thin then there must be something wrong with you and you should eat more?

We have already established that the media doesn't cause eating disorders and that there are people who are naturally thin and still healthy, so what exactly is the point of this crusade?
Unfortunately, that is exactly the message being sent out. Look at all of the literal "go eat a sandwhich" comments aimed at thin women.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:34 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
High fashion really isn't about beauty, at least not in a typical, widely appealing sense. It's about art and intrigue. It is not about representing women as the way they're supposed to be or in a way to make them more appealing to men. It is only about showing their work however they wish to show it. Getting angry at designers for primarily using skinny women is like getting angry at artists for primarily using oil paints.

There are always going to be people who look differently than we do. I'm sorry if some people can't handle that fact and try to harm themselves to look a certain way but you can't punish others to make those sad people feel better about themselves. And I don't know about the statistics in your country, but in America less than 1% of the population suffers from an eating disorder and over 60% of the population is overweight or obese. Clearly, these "sicko" designers are not have the impact you seem to think they are.

There is no ideal line because every person is different. This is about punishing thin people to make not so thin people feel better about themselves. If this were about promoting self esteem and self love, the regulations would be more along the lines of requiring a certain number of models of a variety of sizes in each show. Drawing an arbitrary line isn't helping anyone, it's just hurting.
Yeah, well, whenever I see those models and metrosexuals in all those perfume commercials (currently there is yet another wave because of Easter) I can't detect neither beauty nor art, frankly.
While there is no ideal weight, there are clearly weights on both ends of the spectrum that physicians and nutritionists consider unhealthy. I don't want those extremes to be considered the ideal.
Nor do I know where you got your numbers from. I found other numbers. About 2.5% of women suffer from bulimia alone. Here there are more numbers:
Eating Disorder Statistics
Nor are 60% obese, the rate is about half that, and that only in some states like Mississippi. You are confusing overweight with obese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Whoops, I accidentally repped you when I just wanted to quote.

"The Israelis" are not on this thread posting about "normal" women but you are.

No One person's body is "normal." We come in so many shapes and sizes that to even claim someone particular is "normal" is offensive. Case in point would be people who are born with a bad limb. Are you not normal is you cannot walk unaided? Yes, yes you are. You are deciding that your own judgments on the issue rule all, and you are completely wrong.

Next, I never said anything about your diet. You certainly misconstrued, if only because vegetarians always want to thrust that nugget of info into the conversation. If for some reason you thought I was actually sitting here thinking about what you personally eat, I assure you, you are wrong. Never in my life have I considered what "Neuling" eats.

Thanks for the rep
Sorry, but being handicapped is not normal, no.
By normal I meant average. When I walk through the pedestrian zone I normal people in the sense of average people. There are some slim people, some overweight people, but the majority is in between.

I was referring to your post number #91. I thought you were referring to my diet when you said I might learn something.
Cheer up.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:21 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
OngletNYC, in response to all your posts directed to me (as well as the unnecessarily angry posts directed at others):

I hate to break it to you, sweetie, but you can twist my words all you want. And you can put down others (that you don't even know) all you want. It doesn't change the fact that:

#1: You don't know what you're talking about.

#2: You clearly have a complex, and you're lashing that out onto people that threaten you.

#3: Your sad attempt to bait me into an argument isn't going to work.

You'll have to attempt your petty games with someone else (or, if you're wise, grow up and have a conversation like a kind, civil adult). Either way, I have nothing more to say to someone that trolls the boards spewing anger.

I welcome friendly debate and open discussion, but that can only happen when all parties play nicely, and aren't twisting words. All twisting words does is avoid the point, which clearly you want to do since you obviously realize you don't have a platform to stand on. Even if you managed to stay on point, I quickly weed out those that haven't yet grasped the art of speaking nicely. I have no room in my life for those without manners. Sorry.
I don't have a complex - I am of a happy, healthy weight which in fact is normal, despite what you and other people claim. I'm not the one who is threatened by fashion models either, but it does seem that you are. I don't have to twist your words, I simply disagree with you completely. Sorry that you are getting so upset over the mere fact that I don't agree with you, but that is what internet forums are about.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:54 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Israel has a new law aimed at getting rid of excessively slender models who are considered bad examples for teenagers and people in general.
My views are contradictory. I never think legislation is going to change people. Only people change themselves. I do believe their intentions are correct, but as long as there are adults that show an appreciation for emaciated models, their young will adopt the outlook. If laws do not reflect the will of the people, they will be ignored and unenforced.

So many of our social preferences and predilections are leading us to social problems: our views of sex, entertainment (drugs, violence, war), what makes a "good life" -- all are leading us on a path that grows increasingly complex and dangerous for all of us.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:37 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
But it is, it's about making thin women "feel bad" because they're somehow to blame for others insecurities. It's about telling thin women they're not "real women" or that they're "disgusting" or accusing thin women of having eating disorders just because they're thin.
Well they probably shouldn't "feel bad," because it's not just about "insecurities," but a much more dangerous trend they set involuntarily.
Because if some piece of clothing\brand is in fashion, a lot of teens would try to get it, even if it's too high of a price. Same with "model's look." If that's what's "in" with a promise of "high life" ( or perception of it,) the teens/young women will try to get it, even if the price is too high.
Look at this model for example ( I mean Ana Carolina Reston)

www.portraitfotograf.ch bern,schweiz, CH, Switzerland,Portraitfotograf,portraetfotograf,hoch zeitsphotograph,hochzeitfotograf,fotomodell, modeln, agentur,akt,fotograf,Portrait,portraet,portraitfot os,portraetfotos,Hochzeitsfotograf, Hochzeitfotograf, H

She died of malnutrition, and so did few others as well.
How come the fashion industry couldn't spot that dangerous line those girls were walking between "being normal" and being half-dead?

Quote:
Rubenesque women were once a symbol of physical beauty, back in a time when being heavyset=well fed=wealthy/royalty
You think so?

Then why would "wealthy/royalty women would wear those tight, cinching corsets?

( Nah, most likely just a whim of this particular painter, his personal preference.)

Old 03-24-2012, 10:22 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I don't have a complex - I am of a happy, healthy weight which in fact is normal, despite what you and other people claim. I'm not the one who is threatened by fashion models either, but it does seem that you are. I don't have to twist your words, I simply disagree with you completely. Sorry that you are getting so upset over the mere fact that I don't agree with you, but that is what internet forums are about.
I have read your other posts. I understand now why you come off as an angry person. Typically, when someone comes off as so hostile, and twisting words to try to egg a fight, I try to give them a benefit of the doubt and try to understand them.

I can assure you I'm not threatened by fashion models. Why would I be threatened by something that is part of me? But, of course, you didn't know that I modeled. You also didn't know that, based on what you've written on C-D - given it's true (5' 6". 135lbs, put really that's more like 142, since you put on some weight), that I'm more fit than you. So please don't sit here and tell me what I am and am not. You do not know a thing about me. If anyone has a complex over models, based on your posts, it's you. You posted about Andriana Lima's regime being stricter than a professional builder. Ironic, considering she matches my build to a T (friends often joke that she's my doppelganger), and even practically shares my birthday, though, off by 5 years. So, do tell me again why I'm jealous of models? Oh wait, I'm NOT. That would be like being jealous of yourself. Kind of hard to do, isn't it?

I'm sorry that you're going through a rough time in your life, and I now understand why you come off as a miserable person, but lashing out at others isn't going to make your life better. And it doesn't keep this topic on point, either.

As for your post about my concerns about professional athletes, surgeons, and truck drivers, I have each in the family, so yes, they do concern me. Please reserve your comments for things you do KNOW what you're talking about, and can say it NICELY.

Models should be encouraged to be a healthy weight. That is my only point. If you don't agree, great. If that threatens you, please save your personal attacks. They do not affect me, they are not productive, and are not part of C-D terms.

On that note, I'm bored with the topic, and have said all I need to.

Last edited by SunnyTXsmile; 03-24-2012 at 10:31 AM..

Old 03-24-2012, 10:55 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
In modeling, plus size starts at size 10 or 12 and most of the plus sized models I'm familiar with are size 12 or 14. It is plus sized because it is larger than "straight" modeling, which is size 0, 2, or 4. They aren't necessarily fat or overweight or unhealthy, they're just plus compared to the standard.
Whoah, hang on a sec, cause from your replies, I think that you are not understanding my position. I "understand" why they call those girls plus size, cause they aren't slender enough to be "regular" models.

But the point I was trying to make is that it's worng to call someone that is that size a plus size model.

THIS is what I think of when someone says "plus sized".

http://kcoad1.wikispaces.com/file/vi...ture_small.jpg

http://drpinna.com/wp-content/upload...ity9999999.jpg

http://sips.in/head_clip_image001.jpg (the right side, BTW!)

http://www.weight-loss-trust.com/wp-...ese-woman2.jpg

NOT NOT NOT these women, although they are classified as plus sized models.

http://www.prlog.org/10041987-maggy-...ggie-brown.jpg

http://ficdn.fashionindie.com/wp-con...eyThompson.jpg

http://static2.refinery29.com/bin/en...-swimsuits.jpg

http://www.fallfashionidea.com/wp-co...om-dresses.jpg

http://my10online.com/wp-content/upl...ize_Runway.jpg

Quote:
If a young girl sees me and decides to starve herself to try and look like me, that's very sad but I'm not to blame. You can't punish the thin woman because you don't like the way some people react to her.
Well yes that is very true, but I'm not b**chin' about you personally, nor any other model personally. I am b**chin' about the INDUSTRY that tells some girls they are too big (at your size or smaller) to model, and that they could be plus sized models instead. BULLS**T!!! That's all it is.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:27 PM

I guess age is one factor. From about 25 on most women take on a more mature, feminine figure. Most models are young though or, if they are older, exceptionally skinny for their age.
Here it says the average age of models is about 21.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
My views are contradictory. I never think legislation is going to change people. Only people change themselves. I do believe their intentions are correct, but as long as there are adults that show an appreciation for emaciated models, their young will adopt the outlook. If laws do not reflect the will of the people, they will be ignored and unenforced.

So many of our social preferences and predilections are leading us to social problems: our views of sex, entertainment (drugs, violence, war), what makes a "good life" -- all are leading us on a path that grows increasingly complex and dangerous for all of us.
Well, and there are various laws regulating drugs, sex etc.

And I am not sure the Israeli laws do not reflect the will of the people, by which you probably mean the will of the majority of people. Actually I think they do. If it were up to the Orthodox Jews there probably would not be any commercials with half naked girls at all

Plus, over time laws do change behavior and thinking. Examples are laws against spitting and urinating on the streets, recycling, smoking, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty