Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:48 PM

26 posts, read 53,090 times

Advertisements

Lots of my friends have tattoos and they are quite proud of them. (Like they had to cure cancer to get one!) Funny thing is most of the time no one would know they had a tattoo because they hide them under their clothes so only they see them.

I am confused. If tattoos are so great put them where people can see them. Maybe Mike Tyson with his facial tattoo is the smart one. I say put them where people can see them: face, neck, hands, arms, legs, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 01:50 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Mine are visible depending on what I am wearing.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
It depends on where you are as well. I don't have any tatts. I met a guy who had a sleeve. That he kept covered. He was working on a startup, and in the process of looking for funding. He didn't want anyone to misjudge him professionally, so he kept it covered up at anything work related (and during pitch meetings and the like). Many people have stereotypes about people with tattoos, it pays to know your audience/environment.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:57 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
You're assuming that people only get tattoos so they can show others....IME, the people I know who have tattoos often have them for personal reasons. It's something for themselves...

Old 09-20-2012, 05:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Hunter View Post
Lots of my friends have tattoos and they are quite proud of them. (Like they had to cure cancer to get one!) Funny thing is most of the time no one would know they had a tattoo because they hide them under their clothes so only they see them.

I am confused. If tattoos are so great put them where people can see them. Maybe Mike Tyson with his facial tattoo is the smart one. I say put them where people can see them: face, neck, hands, arms, legs, etc.
Tattoos are really not so great in the publics eye. They have cost more than one person a good job or an advancement on their job 'cause their employer didn't want a tattooed person to represent their company in public.

If anything Tattoos are just tolerated by the public that hopes the craze will die a well deserved early death.

Two of our sons have small tattoos but both very much regret getting them now.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:53 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I have a sleeve (and a tattoo on my upper back) and I may or may not cover them up depending on the situation. On a job interview? Yes, I cover them up because people have preconceived notions of people who choose to get tattoos and I don't want to be put in a negative category based on that. During everyday activities? Honestly, they're so a part of me that I don't even realize they're there most of the time and dress accordingly. I am a little more careful about the way I act and the way I dress when in public and 'showing' my tattoos because of rude and judgemental people. I feel as though I'm representing the tattoo community and if I can cause one person to think 'hey, that woman I met who has a sleeve was really intelligent and sweet, maybe tattoos don't make the person' then I think I've done a good job.

I got my first tattoo 10 years ago this past April and I don't regret one bit of the work I have received thus far. Maybe that's because all of mine were well thought out, original and done by professionals. Considering I have 3 award plaques on my wall because of my work I'd say it's pretty good

Old 09-20-2012, 06:06 PM

I have to admit some of the tattoo work I've seen is just drop dead gorgeous but what spoils it for me ,and millions of other, that make up the general public is that they are drawn on human skin!

How does this art work ever get preserved for the future? We start skinning and tanning the dead? That's the only way I know of to preserve ink artwork on human skin.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:06 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Hunter View Post

You obviously don't like tattoos, so why do you care if some people choose to cover them with clothing?

What's wrong with only the tattooed person knowing they are there?

Old 09-20-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You obviously don't like tattoos, so why do you care if some people choose to cover them with clothing?

What's wrong with only the tattooed person knowing they are there?
Not one darn thing is "wrong" with having tattoos. The OP just want's to understand why people get them when the general society disapproves of them. What kind of mind set cause perfectly normal people to turn themselves into an artist canvas?

Old 09-20-2012, 06:16 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Speaking only for myself, I can say that I really enjoy tattoo art - both on the skin and "flash" art (tattoo artwork on paper).

I really don't care whether "general society" disapproves of my tattoos or not. As the say goes: The people who matter don't mind, and the people that mind don't matter.

If I need to cover them up for a job, so be it. No skin off my nose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty