Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Jenna Talackova be allow to be in beauty pagents?
She should not be allowed to participate 30 44.12%
She should be allowed to participate 27 39.71%
Indifferent 11 16.18%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:50 PM

395 posts, read 707,402 times

Advertisements

The world is changing and I have no opinion on this subject, but wanted to see what you forum folks think: Is it too socially unacceptable for Jenna Talackova to be in a beauty pageant?

Jenna Talackova, transsexual Miss Universe Canada contestant, disqualified from finals | News | National Post

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 11:12 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Sorry, she's lovely and all but the private institution gets to use whatever standards for participation they wish and including a rule that says all participants must be female, born female doesn't seem that out of line to me.

She should be well aware that life isn't fair, considering she's already had to deal with an outside that doesn't match her inside.

Just wanted to expand, if they pageant changed their mind and decided to admit her, I would be okay with that, too. I'm just in favor of letting the private organization make whatever decisions they wish for who to admit.

Last edited by UnexpectedError; 03-28-2012 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: expanding

Old 03-29-2012, 02:52 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I find the whole system of beauty pageant archaic and sexist but as it is basically a beauty contest who cares what sex the contestant was born...

Transgender means that person is now of the pre-requisite sex so why not ? Personally I am astonished we still think in 2012 that a beauty pageant is a good idea and the yard stick by which to judge a woman but if you are going to judge people by their appearance then the logic is that anyone who is female ( whther from birth or not) should be able to qualify.

After all this is purely an outward apperance contest so it seems apt in a way. An ugly woman would not qualify as her appearance would be deemed offensive so inward qualities ( or sex at birth which is no longer relevant in this case) have nothing to do with it. Let the shallow judges judge yet another shallow human being by a shallow crtieria. Nothing of depth to be explored or entertained in that particular business.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I say why not, I mean sure there are transgendered beauty pageants, but if the trans person is to be fully accepted as a woman, this will go some way into making that a reality.

But I also agree that it's up to the governing body to make the decision. Whether they listen to the concerns of the trans community and interested persons is up to them.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:48 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
that makes me sick. Of course he/she should not be allowed into a pageant. Sorry all you left winged nuts out there who want to support this, but NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Old 03-29-2012, 04:58 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
I honestly don't see the diff between transvestite and some chick with fake boobs and plastic surgery on whatever else. But pageant rules are as already stated. Its a beauty contest...not a "would you" list.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:59 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Sorry, she's lovely and all but the private institution gets to use whatever standards for participation they wish and including a rule that says all participants must be female, born female doesn't seem that out of line to me.

She should be well aware that life isn't fair, considering she's already had to deal with an outside that doesn't match her inside.

Just wanted to expand, if they pageant changed their mind and decided to admit her, I would be okay with that, too. I'm just in favor of letting the private organization make whatever decisions they wish for who to admit.
Yes, there are rules for contestants. If you don't fit, don't enter.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:21 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes, there are rules for contestants. If you don't fit, don't enter.

Agreed but:

"There is no mention of rules regarding sex-changes or cosmetic surgery."

Jenna Talackova, transsexual Miss Universe Canada contestant, disqualified from finals | News | National Post

Yet they don't say exactly why she was disqualified. I would like to see what they said were the reasons.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:33 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
It's for woman, not men who had sex changes. "They" may no longer have mail genitalia, but they still have a Y chromosome. Which makes them male. Putting on a Bear costume doesn't make me a bear. Dressing up like a woman doesn't make you a woman, your DNA does.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:07 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I think if a transgendered man can have surgery and be more beautiful than natural-born women, then that person should win. The women can have all kinds of plastic surgery to alter themselves, so what's the difference? I mean other than some people's freaking out because they are having erotic thoughts about someone who used to be a man. It's a BEAUTY contest. The most beautiful one wins, and whoever wins probably had a nose job and a boob job and lipo and cheekbone implants and Restylane and collagen and Botox already, so who really cares?

However, it's a private contest with rules, and them's the rules. I agree that it should be up to whoever owns the pageant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty