Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:07 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times

Advertisements

This thread reminds me why it's great to be a guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Always wanted to try that. I think I'll need a juicer, I misplaced mine in the move. It really sounds like a good idea, and a good way to cleanse rest and renew the body systems after a winter of sluggishness.

I think I'll try it after Easter, Branson.

Are there any particular fruits and veggies that you use? Is there a book on the subject that you could recommend? What benefits have you personally derived from this practice, assuming you have tried it.

I have heard that break outs are common during such a fast. Was that your experience?

Thanks for the advice.
I am a big fan of "green smoothies". You can get some good ideas here: Raw Family - Victoria, Sergei and Valya Boutenko - Raw Food Diet.

You will find that as your body begins to detoxify that you might experience "break outs" as you put it. Also, people even report flu-like symptoms and "feeling rotten" the first three or four days as your body begins to release and throw off all the nasty toxins that you have been storing up. You can purchase activated charcoal supplements at the health foods store (very inexpensive) which will absorb much of these nasty things and make the process less bothersome.

Also, while you are doing the cleanse, you want to get your lymph flowing as much as possible since this is what helps the body move the toxins from the cells to the circulatory system and then out through the liver. If you have a rebounder (mini-trampoline) this is the best exercise, however, if you don't then you can jump rope or do jumping jacks, do some martial arts, or even vigorous stepping exercises will help (you want to get the up and down action).

Also, taking a tablespoon or two of olive oil just prior to exercising will draw the toxins to your digestive tract (since toxins love fat) where they can be eliminated. Be sure that you drink lots and lots of water because you must keep things flowing and being dehydrated, even a little, is not a good thing.

Good luck!

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-06-2012, 10:01 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Always wanted to try that. I think I'll need a juicer, I misplaced mine in the move.
Hubby and I have done a few cleanses... our favorite is the Blessed Herbs cleanse. We do one every spring:

Herbal Colon Cleanse Kits & Digestive Stimulators - Blessed Herbs

We schedule colon hydrotherapy sessions (one before, one during, and one after) that we do during the 7-day cleanse. You feel fantastic after about the 3rd day. For us, the first three days are kind of a challenge.. you feel tired, and sometimes a bit bloated... the hydrotherapy sessions help a lot with that. As you begin to detox you might feel sick... headaches... etc. It's totally normal. We've never experienced breakouts but have heard of others who have. Our skin always glows... people always ask me if I'm pregnant, because I always drop weight the first trimester and my skin glows... and that's what happens when I do a cleanse, too. lol

As far as juicers - this guy is amazing! His name is John and he has HUNDREDS of videos on youtube that are very informative about not only the different kinds of juicers, but also he does a lot of demonstrations and videos that show how to grow your own foods. I love his videos... anyway... here's a link to one of them:

Omega VERT Juicer and Omega 8006 Nutrition Center Comparison - YouTube

We have had quite a few juicers over the years (I worked at Whole Foods Market for over 10 years) and my favorite is my Omega Vert juicer. It is really amazing. You can juice leafy greens, wheatgrass, fruits, citrus, carrots, everything and it is really easy to clean. And it is quiet... our oher juicers were a pain to clean and they were loud and they didn't do leafy greens... anyway... the Breville is also pretty good, and much cheaper, but the Omega Vert is higher quality and comes with a much better warranty.

Anyway - glad you're in a happier place!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:21 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

We have had quite a few juicers over the years (I worked at Whole Foods Market for over 10 years) and my favorite is my Omega Vert juicer. It is really amazing. You can juice leafy greens, wheatgrass, fruits, citrus, carrots, everything and it is really easy to clean. And it is quiet... our oher juicers were a pain to clean and they were loud and they didn't do leafy greens... anyway... the Breville is also pretty good, and much cheaper, but the Omega Vert is higher quality and comes with a much better warranty.

Anyway - glad you're in a happier place!
We have a Vitamix and love it because it retains the "fiber" that juicers typically spit out after extracting the juice. It has a learning curve, however, because you tend to leave the stuff in as long as you do a regular blender and it becomes foamy. Really, a Vitamix is so powerful that you only need to leave it in a fraction of the time until it is blended. LOL It took me a while to figure that one out.

Whatever you choose for juicing, just doing it is going to make you healthier and feel better. You might also google the hallelujah diet which incorporates juicing along with eating a 80/20 raw/cooked diet.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-06-2012, 02:50 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
We have a Vitamix and love it because it retains the "fiber" that juicers typically spit out after extracting the juice. It has a learning curve, however, because you tend to leave the stuff in as long as you do a regular blender and it becomes foamy. Really, a Vitamix is so powerful that you only need to leave it in a fraction of the time until it is blended. LOL It took me a while to figure that one out.

Whatever you choose for juicing, just doing it is going to make you healthier and feel better. You might also google the hallelujah diet which incorporates juicing along with eating a 80/20 raw/cooked diet.

20yrsinBranson
The Vert lets you choose. There is a little silicone (I think... maybe its rubber?) thing that you can either push in so that the fiber spits out separately, or you can unplug the silicone thing if you want the fiber in your juice.

Also... I typically take that fiber stuff that the juicer spits out and make it into flatbread crackers in our food dehydrator. I've also used it in quick breads and muffins. I'm with you - I don't like to waste that fiber. It's good stuff!

I've never had a vitamix but I hear they are awesome!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:26 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I cannot offer the advice that ladies can with respect to products, but just wanted to offer a couple of thoughts for your renewal of self, sheena12, which is how I read your original post; and, there's nothing wrong with looking your best, either. Just remember that you are still the same beautiful woman that your friend has known all these years, and she is coming to see you, so do let her out. Look at some of the fun you've had over the adversity of the past few years, since there may have been something that happened that will give you a laugh now, even if it seemed very stressful at the time. You are off to a great start because you said a couple of pages back that you were leaving the past in the past, forever. That's where it needs to be, since it is a lead weight that will magnify its intensity if you allow it to do so, and, who needs that sort of life toxicity?

Regarding sleep patterns, I wanted to suggest looking at Dr. Jeffery Thompson's work with achieving deeper sleep. There are audio programs you can buy, on iTunes or Amazon, among other places, that will help you to achieve restful sleep, even if the duration is shorter. I use these programs all the time, especially when traveling, and can say that it does make a difference, and it's not using a sleep medication to do so, as I personally reserve that for a sleep disorder, not just not achieving restful sleep. You should also practice good sleep hygiene, as in everything gets done before it crosses the threshold to the bedroom. Your bedroom should be your sanctuary, so the cell phone rests in its charger, the laptop is charging in the family room, and your books are in their bookcase by your favorite chair for reading, not in your bedroom. If you take the multi-purpose out of the bedroom, or dedicate a sitting area to reading, sewing, writing, talking on the phone, etc., you are keeping your bed as an oasis, such that you will condition yourself to leave the weight of the world at the door, or at least at the perimeter of your bed until you can work them out of the room all together. You should encourage your husband to do the same, if he does not do so already. Your bedroom is your retreat from the world, so treat it that way. Again, that may sound crazy, but such words of wisdom come from an indefatigable multitasker who ignored the issues that "stuff" brings into the bedroom.

I recall reading somewhere that during the Great Depression Helena Rubenstein kept the prices on her cosmetics at the luxury level, not because she had no sympathy for her customers, but because it represented an everyday escape in which they could indulge every once in a while, no matter how bad their financial circumstance had changed from previous years. So, indulge in a little luxury, say buy a new $75 lipstick that you would not ordinarily try, or perhaps one that's a huge premium over one you might normally wear. Let yourself recapture that little bit of frivolity and have a little indulgence that makes you smile.

Life can force changes upon you, and you do need to deal with them and react as best you can, which sometimes takes its toll on one, emotionally and physically. You're off to a great start, and I wish you all the best in continuing to look/feel your absolute best.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-08-2012, 10:09 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Hmm, too bad I didn't get to this thread sooner because I read all the talk about botox but in all 6 pages no one has mentioned the one completely free alternative that anyone can do in the privacy of their homes (or even while driving a car) which can have a visible effect in just a few days: facial exercise! This video only shows an explanation of WHY they work:

Facercise.com - Carole Maggio - CBS - YouTube

I've been a fan of them for over 20 years and I'm pleased to say that just last year two different people had a hard time believing I was even 40 but I'm in my late 50s; sure, it helped that I was a few pounds thinner and feeling very perky too, but I DO have very healthy skin with not even a tiny line around my eyes, except when I smile, but who doesn't?! You can see for yourself in the pics in my profile, there's 9 years between 2 of them and the rest but I bet you can hardly see any significant difference in them. I also try to keep my diet healthy (I watched Dr. Perricone on PBS!) and I take various supplements every day plus keeping a simple yet effective "beauty" routine which includes applying a progesterone cream 2x/day. But here's a better example than me, just watch this:

"Pucker Ups" Facial Exercises agelessexy70's webcam video July 12, 2010, 12:59 PM - YouTube

So go ahead and give them a try and you'll become a fan too, some of the exercises have an immediate lifting effect due to increased blood flow. There are many more videos to choose from (including good ol' Jack Lalane!).

Old 05-28-2012, 07:16 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
I know the OP has already had her reunion, but I just wanted to add something for anyone else looking for the same thing. Get your eyebrows done/shaped. It's amazing how much it "opens" your face and makes one look "made up" even with minimal makeup.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:07 PM

943 posts, read 1,843,947 times
Quote:
Urgent question. On Easter I am being visited by an old friend and her family. I have not seen her for ten years.

The past five years have been really stressful for me. If you are familiar with that "stress test" that measures life events that can impact your health, I am off the charts!

The following things have occurred within the past five years -

1. Loss of a loved one
2. health problems of spouse
3. loss of job
4. relocation to a new area
5. changes in friends and support system
6. forced to sell home for financial reasons

And others. I am OK and I'm greatful for what I have. However, the past few years have taken a tole on my face. I look more worn and tired. Sometimes I think I look haggard. It really has been hard on me.

The reality of this visit is just setting in. I was wondering if someone could suggest some treatments or minor procedures that I could have in the next week that would give me a fresher and more youthful look.

I really don't want to get into debates with people about plastic surgery. I am not opposed to it in moderation.

I have had Botox and a filler where I used to live. It was good. Because of all of the changes and moving, I am not as up on what people do as I once was.

I also do not like the general quality of my skin. It looks dull, slack and sallow I think it would also give me a bit of a psychological boost to look and feel better.

I only have about 1000$ that I can use.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!

You need to see a Psychologist or Psychiatrist that is what you really need is someone to talk to about your listed issues above. Getting work done on your face in a week is not going to free up the problems you have build up in your head.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:31 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I was ready to come on here and start a similar thread but mine was going to be *men are no longer attracted to me* and it would have been for many of the same reasons--age, powerful stress due to family related issues and weight gain due to that. And just when I'm thinking I'm ready to have a go at dating again after having been out of the loop for over 25 years. I have a shopping list now and a renewed sense of hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty