U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 08:59 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,829,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Everyone I see now always have their phones out checking e-mail or texting. Seems like there really isnt a need for watches anymore.
There is a need for watches for those of us who don't live life tethered to our phones and technology.

I have one nice watch and one wear anywhere crappy watch, and hubby has 3 nice watches. One is a leather banded shock resistant style, the other is stainless steel and is a bit nicer, and his last watch is a white gold pocketwatch from his grandfather that he wears when he dresses very nicely.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 PM

37,174 posts, read 43,173,372 times
I am apparently the only person on the planet who doesn't carry a phone in my pocket, and, accordingly, doesn't stand around in random public places checking e-mail or texting. It's just not me. My technology of choice is a laptop, and I don't really have any desire to carry my tech around with me throughout my day.

But I also don't wear a watch. Apart from my rings, jewelry isn't very "me," either. But if I had to choose, I'd rather wear a watch than carry a phone around.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:00 PM

10,801 posts, read 8,665,286 times
I’ve always been a fan of watches. My taste in watches leans more towards Timex and the style depends on the occasion. Currently wearing a classic stainless steel digital for work in a hospital boiler room. Cheap enough to not worry about damaging but nice enough to look professional. Timex has recently brought back some classics and one designer watch with automatic movement. The one I want is the Timex Marlin wind-up with grey/silver face. Stylish enough for special occasions. Once special occasion is over it goes back I got the case. No worry about batteries. It’s about $200. There are some quartz Timex watches of similar design for less than a hundred so that will most likely be what I’ll get instead. I’ve had all sorts of watches. Once had a Casio that was also a remote control for TV/VCR. Caused some anger at a bar in Italy when I found the code for their TV during a local team’s soccer game. Had a Russian made self winding watch. Worked well but was cheaply made. Fell on hard times and pawned it off. My favorite Timex that has sentimental attachments is the Timex Atlantis. I had it all during my time in the Navy. I replaced several watchbands and batteries. Once lost it in the bilges of the engine room for a few days. When I found it it was still working. One day it totally died and Timex stopped making them. Closest to the Atlantis is one of the Expedition line. Their Indigo technology was a game changer. Many watches use to have a tiny light bulb on the side and if you turned it on it over lit one side and under lit the other side.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:49 PM

2,980 posts, read 1,140,816 times
I use to wear a watch everytime I went out, but stopped doing it in recent years. Now, I just use my phone.

Old 11-28-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I use to wear a watch everytime I went out, but stopped doing it in recent years. Now, I just use my phone.
To me using a phone to tell time is like using a pocket watch. Pull out the pocket and open to see the time before putting back in the pocket. Quick glance at my wrist tells me the time. I use my digital watch at work to also keep track of the day of the month. Not easy to remember when you work constantly rotating shifts.

Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

16 posts, read 1,556 times
still wear one. Have always worn one. Wife does too. Wear a simple cheap one with the numbers and the hands. Nothing extravagant. Just something that works reliably and gives me the time.

Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,461,222 times
I think elders like me wear them out of habit. I own and wear a nice Swiss watch. I use a smart phone and have digital clocks all around me, but I still put on my watch every day. I do get why younger folks don’t feel the need fir watches. But I have worn a watch for all of my adulthood. I think we older folks will be the last cohort to wear them, except for the males who regard expensive watches as status symbols.

In other words people who wear them don’t need them; they just wear one because of what meaning it represents status-wise.

Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think elders like me wear them out of habit. I own and wear a nice Swiss watch. I use a smart phone and have digital clocks all around me, but I still put on my watch every day. I do get why younger folks don’t feel the need fir watches. But I have worn a watch for all of my adulthood. I think we older folks will be the last cohort to wear them, except for the males who regard expensive watches as status symbols.

In other words people who wear them don’t need them; they just wear one because of what meaning it represents status-wise.
I wear one at work out of necessity. There are times I can’t use my phone nor are there clocks available.

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

11,528 posts, read 14,495,739 times
I'm old school enough that I read a newspaper every day and still wear a watch. However, when out of town I'll read the paper on my tablet.

Recently, I purchased a Samsung Galaxy watch, love it. It allows me to leave my phone behind if needed as I can get the calls on my watch. Holy Dick Tracy, Batman! You can use it to track your steps if you're into that plus it records your sleep habits, pretty cool. Plus, it looks good.

Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I'm old school enough that I read a newspaper every day and still wear a watch. However, when out of town I'll read the paper on my tablet.

Recently, I purchased a Samsung Galaxy watch, love it. It allows me to leave my phone behind if needed as I can get the calls on my watch. Holy Dick Tracy, Batman! You can use it to track your steps if you're into that plus it records your sleep habits, pretty cool. Plus, it looks good.
Wife and I are considering smart watches that will monitor your heart rate and arrhythmia and give you an alert to seek medical care if they become in a dangerous level. One smart watch I found will also sense if you have a fall and aren’t moving then it will call 911 and give your location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty