Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:13 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times

Advertisements

Does anyone wear these anymore?

Everyone and I mean EVERYONE has a phone in their pockets now than can give us the time (and many many other things) so it kinda stand to reason that there is no need for watches anymore other than to try to impress people (for men) or as a fashion statement (for women). Other than that, whats the point of even bothering with a watch anymore?

I have a couple of really nice watches that the wife bought for me, but I dont wear them because 1) I dont like wearing watches; and 2) My smart phone gives me the time, date, temp and anything else a watch could ever hope to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 11:53 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
May I suggest a fairly recent thread:
Watches as an accessory?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 PM

oh. i see. nevermind.

excuse me.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:28 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
As I mentioned before, they're a hindrance to cuffs, buttoned or french. It's actually worse with French cuffs. A trim fit shirt sleeve offers little room for lateral movement and the damn thing's always gonna get stuck.

It's okay for the fatties. They wear these 17 or 18 shirts and they have plenty of room to house their walrus selves in.

Besides, it's a fading accessory. Nobody asks me for time. I understand it's a necessary accessory for gate keepers and building security guys. But personally, I've never asked time even to them. I mean, time is ubiquitous today.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:40 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
i have a watch because i find it more convenient sometimes to look at it instead of getting my phone out of my pocket. maybe if i started with the phone, i wouldnt add the watch. but i started with the watch and im very used to it. so its not an inconvenience for me.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:43 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Does anyone wear these anymore?

Everyone and I mean EVERYONE has a phone in their pockets now than can give us the time (and many many other things) so it kinda stand to reason that there is no need for watches anymore other than to try to impress people (for men) or as a fashion statement (for women). Other than that, whats the point of even bothering with a watch anymore?

I have a couple of really nice watches that the wife bought for me, but I dont wear them because 1) I dont like wearing watches; and 2) My smart phone gives me the time, date, temp and anything else a watch could ever hope to be.
Yep, I wear either a Rolex or an Omega mechanical each day, no matter if I'm in the ocean, the pool, or just at work. I change to a Citizen Eco-drive watch that I use for working out or mountain biking.

The instrument cluster on my car tells me the time, as does the radio. My oven tells me the time. My computer tells me the time. My 2 smart phones tell me the time. The school down the street has a billboard that tells me the time. I know what time it is. For me it's jewelry. I like jewelry, and especially jewelry that tells time.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:59 PM

348 posts, read 266,371 times
I don't know what I would do without one. I've worn one since the first grade. My favorite is a Casio G-Shock. It's waterproof and tough.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:05 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
I found that when I did wear a watch, I couldn't tell the approximate time unless I looked. I haven't worn a watch in years...and I'm pretty good at "guesstimating" the time....and the cellphone or computer or microwave will confirm if my guess is good!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:31 PM

Wearing a watch just feels weird to me. I dont like them. Only people who seem to be watch wearers are women (if it goes with their outfit) and your Floyd Mayweather types who like to flaunt and be flashy. I dont like wearing jewelry at all really. I wear my wedding ring, and on very very very rare occasions I have a few Thai gold necklaces with a couple of really old ancient buddha pendants that I may wear. But havent put one of those on in a few years.

Everyone I see now always have their phones out checking e-mail or texting. Seems like there really isnt a need for watches anymore.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:40 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Wearing a watch just feels weird to me. I dont like them. Only people who seem to be watch wearers are women (if it goes with their outfit) and your Floyd Mayweather types who like to flaunt and be flashy. I dont like wearing jewelry at all really. I wear my wedding ring, and on very very very rare occasions I have a few Thai gold necklaces with a couple of really old ancient buddha pendants that I may wear. But havent put one of those on in a few years.

Everyone I see now always have their phones out checking e-mail or texting. Seems like there really isnt a need for watches anymore.
Lao, Lao, Lao, Lao, rule#113 of the Axis of Evil. No gold necklaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty