Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you use fat/chubby etc. ever in NON-NEGATIVE context/intent to describe someone's appearance?
yes 9 39.13%
no 14 60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've been super skinny and fat and while I prefer somewhere in the middle, it was MUCH easier being really skinny.
except you had to control your food intake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Not speaking for Jet, but growing teens frequently eat whatever they like and stay thin. It might be metabolism, sports, or other factors, but I know tons of skinny teens who do not control their food intake in the slightest. It's after high school or college, when growing is done and the kid is not so active that weight issues arise for the formerly slender.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Not speaking for Jet, but growing teens frequently eat whatever they like and stay thin. It might be metabolism, sports, or other factors, but I know tons of skinny teens who do not control their food intake in the slightest. It's after high school or college, when growing is done and the kid is not so active that weight issues arise for the formerly slender.
its great being a kid for many reasons including ability to eat more (not to say there arent a ton of chunky monkey kids running around these days). i guess if the time jet was skinny was when he was a kid, then maybe he didnt have the challenge of controlling his food intake.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:59 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Quote:
its great being a kid for many reasons including ability to eat more (not to say there arent a ton of chunky monkey kids running around these days). i guess it the time jet was skinny was when he was a kid, then maybe he didnt have the challenge of controlling his food intake.
Ah, gotcha. I misunderstood what you meant. (Also JetJockey is a she.)

Old 04-12-2012, 02:45 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. The only reason I gained weight was because of a medication change. If I stopped my medication I'd probably drop 50 lbs in the course of a few weeks without even trying.

For now, I always control my food intake, rarely eating more than 1500 calories a day and as a 6'1 woman, you would think I'd lose weight. Nope, I barely maintain, even with exercising at least an hour a day 6 days a week. Aren't medical disorders fun?

Old 04-12-2012, 07:56 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
I notice that 'fat' only gained a negative connotation somewhat recently. In old books there were jolly, fat people described in glowing terms. Probably from 30-40 years ago 'fat' began being seen as exclusively negative, as attitudes towards overweight people turned.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Not necessarily. The only reason I gained weight was because of a medication change. If I stopped my medication I'd probably drop 50 lbs in the course of a few weeks without even trying.

For now, I always control my food intake, rarely eating more than 1500 calories a day and as a 6'1 woman, you would think I'd lose weight. Nope, I barely maintain, even with exercising at least an hour a day 6 days a week. Aren't medical disorders fun?
I hate how people think by taking one look at a person they can automatically tell if someone is healthy or not.
I hate that so many of the tv shows that feature fat people are all about weight loss or how miserable their life is because they're fat. I understand for some fat people, their joints hurt and they can't be very mobile. However, there are lots of active fat people, just as there are plenty of inactive thin people.

ASDAH

Old 04-18-2012, 05:10 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
The word "fat", I don't think so. When I hear "fat" I imagine a man or woman for whose excess weight is so significant that it becomes the defining characteristic of their appearance.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:30 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
Is skinny that much better? I see slender, svelte, athletic when people want to be positive about it. I see skinny and it is usually in a negative light or at least passive-aggressive.

At any rate. Someone said it best in another thread. Hang around some fat black women and you will see some of the most positive fat people on the planet. Some cultures look at it as status, I think I heard some mexicans feel that way. A sign of prosperity/wealth and a status symbol in general is having a fat wife who may or may not be pregnant all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty