Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:11 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I think it would be better to spend that money on a dietician than surgery. I don't know what your weight is but if you are of health risk weight and also have age against you I would not advise to get put under unless its a life threatening situation.

Why would you assume you will never lose weight? What have you tried and stuck to consistently?
This has NOTHING to do with weight and everything to do with her breasts and self esteem. It is not cosmetic surgery and many insurance policies cover it.

I know of three people who have had this procedure and it changed their lives. Only one was overweight at all. The other was more motivated to lose weight afterwards.

Breast tissue is different from other fatty tissue and there are a number of complicated reasons why people can have hypertrophic breasts.

The physical, social and psychological issues surrounding this condition are serious and sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 01:13 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
My wife had it done about 10 years ago or so. She wasn't overweight, just had humongous boobs. She was a DDD by 17 yrs old on a petite frame. It was destroying her upper back. They only got bigger as she got older. Anyway, in her mid twenties she had the reduction, and it really helped her. She was able to find clothes that fit, quit getting looked at like a freak, it helped her back, and she felt better about herself. So now, ten years later, she is still happy she had it done. She did gain one cup size back in the time since. She has an issue with some mild numbness with one nipple, but she still says she'd do it again if in the same situation.
THIS is what I have heard from most post op woman.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 990 times
I am 63 years old, and I lost 30 some pounds-it didn't make the breasts any smaller. As I got older, they sagged more, and became more uncomfortable. I had numbness in my arms from the breast tissue on the side pressing against them. I was not able to do yoga because they interfered with the movements. I was able to swim, bike ride and do the ellipitical machine. My insurance paid for it. I think you should consult with 3 plastic surgeons about it, and even more if you don't find one that will answer all your questions. The surgery does not cut through any muscle, and is also a lift. My boobs were 10 inches below where they were supposed to be, and the PS said nothing will relieve that pulling pressure on the front except surgery.
I am very pleased with the results. The PS also said you do not have to be thin-most woman that have it done are not thin, but the weight just falls off of them afterwards as they feel better, can move better, and are able lose more easily. Just him telling me that before, helped give me hope, and I lost 15 pounds in the month and a half while waiting for surgery.
There are good sites on line that have before and after pictures, breasthealthonline is one.I am a very active person-golf, ride bike, camp, hike, kayak, swim-and I am soo excited that I can now wear normal clothes and support bras that are comfortable and fit.
It takes a while to completely heal. Don't let anyone put you in a position to defend your decision. I wish I would have gotten over my women's feminism opinions and had this done years ago.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
I had it done about 5 years ago, after having lost 100 pounds. They looked like oranges in tube socks by that time. They were DDs at my largest, but stayed the same even after I lost the weight. I was so self-conscious about them! My size prior to getting fat was 36C, which is what I have now.

In addition to make them smaller, the doc also lifted them. Me and my husband are quite pleased. Only downside is I lost all feeling in both nipples.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:16 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Weight loss has never affected my breast size(to an extreme enough amount to make a difference on the symptoms I was having). With that said, I did it in 1999. I was 26. I went from an H to around a D or so. I do go up and down in breast size.

I would do it again. I wish I had done it sooner. I had no infection and my scars are barely visible. Same color as my skin and very thin.

My neck, back, and shoulders were all effected by the size of my breasts. Insurance covered it completely.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:15 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Just a little word of warning..

My Sister in Law had this done several years ago. She was overweight and big, but not overly big. Did she change her eating habits? Nope. And how does she look now? Big and fat with great big boobs.

So if a lot of that excess size is fat rather than breast tissue, that size will probably return unless you change the diet.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Me and my husband are quite pleased. Only downside is I lost all feeling in both nipples.
I wonder how common this is and is the risk different for augmentation vs. reduction mammoplasty. How long post op are you?

I'm 3.5 months post op after augmentation mammoplasty and I still have no feeling in about 95% of my breasts, forget my nipples.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Just about everyone I know who has had a reduction mammoplasty is overweight, by someone's definition. I know one girl who is considering it who is very thin...just with really large, pendulous natural breasts. I understand how difficult it must be carrying all that extra hanging skin and flesh.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Baybee, I think it's pretty common. I know they don't know one way or the other (if it will happen) and it is a risk.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:57 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I did a search and found two threads, 2009 and 2010, just considering it. No threads on who had had it done or recent threads.
I have been putting it off for years and years because I want to lose weight first. But I don;t know if I'm ever going to lose weight.
I'm 55 so I was hoping someone who was older had had the surgery.

a friend of mine was a (BB) cup before she had children, and was an (I) cup after her 3 kids. it was effecting her back really bad, and her insurance company paid for a breast reduction. she is now a (C) cup, and she is glad for it.
she was of normal weight before and afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty