Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:15 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,269,557 times

Advertisements

I have been very plain in my life but seem to be having an EXTREMELY late blooming. When I go out I usually get a compliment or two on my appearance but some nights I get so many I actually get irritated, particularly if I go to a new venue with a new crowd.

I get complimented by men who (ironically) usually manage to do it in a flattering and polite way, by which I mean they say "you are pretty" and leave it at that. Women, however, seem to feel they have to compliment me, grab on to me, pull at my clothing, comment on my features, explain they are not gay, then say it all again.

At the end of the day, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and just because you judge someone to be beautiful, doesn't automatically mean you have to share that opinion with the recipient. Indeed, if they do appear to be "unusually" attractive, stop and consider they may get it OFTEN and may feel like a quiet night away from being judged to their face.

I don't say to people I judge as particularly plain, "oh my god, you have perfectly ugly lips! you look so dull! your eyes are so unattractive too....!" so why should I receive these judgements so often (even if they are intended to be compliments, it doesn't always feel very respectful), and be expected to be constantly grateful? I am always gracious, eg, say "thank you" with a smile and try to move on, but it is not always that easy, as admirers often follow, sharing their opinion of you all the while. I know I sound as vain as hell but this is a problem that can be quite intimidating if you attract the "wrong" sort of admirer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 07:19 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,156,795 times
You write a beautiful post. Your paragraphs are really stacked!

Old 04-15-2012, 05:54 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,086 times
Uhhh...women come up to you and tell you how gorgeous you are, and try to paw at you and touch you? I don't buy it. I have NEVER known or witnessed any women to act like this to another.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:57 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times
I've had women compliment my hair (men, too), but "paw" me? No...

Old 04-15-2012, 01:23 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,153 times
I suppose it's just a curse you, me and other beautiful people like us will just have to live with.

Btw, me:

Old 04-15-2012, 01:33 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,153 times
Of course, I kid.

I agree it is a problem. It's about the best problem to have but still a problem when you just want to be liked for who you are, what your personality and intelligence are like. Not how you look. So often people mistake good looking people to be as shallow and vacuous as they wish they could be themselves.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:44 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,296,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Uhhh...women come up to you and tell you how gorgeous you are, and try to paw at you and touch you? I don't buy it. I have NEVER known or witnessed any women to act like this to another.
LOL! I think you hit it on the bullseye!

This is a post, meant to draw attention from the opposite sex, in a covert way.

A single woman desperate for attention.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:07 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,394,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
It does happen as I've experienced similar situations being "so tall", but for the most part, all the women who behaved or reacted that way towards me had a bit of booze in their system. (yes, women whom I don't know touch my body.)

Example, two weeks ago while out at a restaurant/upscale lounge, I became the discussion of the ladies room. One women was impressed with my height, wanted to know if I was a model, went on and on about how lucky I am. Then other women proceeded to get involved in the convo about me. It can be incredibly emarrassing even though the women only have good intentions. In fact, I dread going to the ladies room at crowded clubs & lounges because I just want to be left alone.

Again, I was stopped by a woman this past Thursday night while walking to the ladies room at a NYC restaurant.

In my case it has nothing to do with beauty, but my height and like the OP, I'm always shocked at how people feel the need to comment on it.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:10 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,042 times
Strange! I've never had, heard or seen any women pull or tug on a another women they don't know for the purpose of telling them they are beautiful.

Women tend to be very simple when giving compliments to other women. They don't want to draw attention to it. Most men don't even do that.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:19 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,394,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Strange! I've never had, heard or seen any women pull or tug on a another women they don't know for the purpose of telling them they are beautiful.

Women tend to be very simple when giving compliments to other women. They don't want to draw attention to it. Most men don't even do that.
The men just give the compliment/line and move on based on your reaction. Women (especially if they've been drinking) tend to make it a "conversation."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty