U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hawaiian shirts can be worn...
Whenever you can! 42 56.76%
Only if you're in Hawaii 12 16.22%
Never 20 27.03%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:22 AM

772 posts, read 1,238,814 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what's everyone's opinion on Hawaiian shirts?

I personally really like them. On the other hand my wife hates them. Last year, when we went on our honeymoon to Hawaii I bought my first one, and it quickly became my favorite shirt!

I know they can be sort of tacky, and are usually associated with fat tourists (in fact, go to your local Target and you'll notice they come only in large sizes ), and I don't really like them because they are "laid back" or anything, I just happen to like them - in Summer - they are colorful and they make me happy.

There's all kinds of Hawaiian shirts:

This one I love, and is similar to mine:

This one is too busy, so I don't like it, I wouldn't buy it:

Last edited by Hesky; 04-23-2012 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 AM

12,977 posts, read 30,135,826 times
I have always loved Tommy Bahama shirts, but the wife absolutely HATES them. She calls them "Old Man Shirts". Needless to say, that I dont wear them because of her. We have this little deal where I told her I'd never wear a Tommy Bahama shirt as long as she never walks around ANYWHERE wearing the dreaded grubby sweatpants. So, she wears only lululemon yoga pants, and I dont wear Tommy Bahama hawaiian shirts. But T.B. does make nice shirts.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM

4,428 posts, read 5,598,824 times
Do you like them? Wear them then. If you dont then wear something else. Simple as that.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFreeper View Post
Tommy Bahama's ARE "old man" shirts.
LOL. They just look so cool because they are stylish, very well made, and when you see guys wearing them on casual day Fridays, they just look like they are heading to either the golf course or the beach. Some of the most comfortable looking shirts as well. Plus, $140 for a nice silk casual shirt is not a bad deal at all.

I like them, but unfortunately will never get to wear them. Wife has put both her feet down on this one.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:51 AM

15,781 posts, read 25,733,278 times
just as bad as speedoes

Old 04-23-2012, 11:53 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,728,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFreeper View Post
Tommy Bahama's ARE "old man" shirts.
True!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:10 PM

2,792 posts, read 5,427,475 times
For me personally, no. For others who like the style, definitely. I prefer my summer shirts to be solid colors. I do though have a weak spot for a nice Guayabera .

Old 04-23-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
True!
Yeah. You see, I am an Investment Banker and my "mentors" were all VERY successful businessmen as well and they all wore their T.B. shirts to the office on Fridays. To me, they are kind of a symbol of "success" and a bit of a fashion statement. Guess that is part of why I like them. Hanging out at Riviera Country Club, Braemar, or La Costa Resort smoking cigars, drinking cognac and playing golf, wearing a T.B. shirt kinda says "Im a badass". Yeah, its kinda like that.

Guess that is why the wife says I can wear them when Im both OLD and FAT. OR, after she dies.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:25 PM

5,224 posts, read 13,720,958 times
I like them, if they are somewhat "subdued"...I don't like huge flowers or really bright colors....more muted, tho, looks nice in a casual setting!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:27 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,624,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I have always loved Tommy Bahama shirts, but the wife absolutely HATES them. She calls them "Old Man Shirts". Needless to say, that I dont wear them because of her. We have this little deal where I told her I'd never wear a Tommy Bahama shirt as long as she never walks around ANYWHERE wearing the dreaded grubby sweatpants. So, she wears only lululemon yoga pants, and I dont wear Tommy Bahama hawaiian shirts. But T.B. does make nice shirts.

My husband has several - but he only wears them when we are in Hawaii (Waikiki/Honolulu). He's not much of a pattern/color guy (his entire wardrobe is blue/green/beige and black) - so when we're there he likes to wear them when we go out in the evenings (they are silk which breathes nice as well)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty