Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Anthropologie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 11:30 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Even if I could afford it, that store is not my style, but the clothes appear to be of somewhat better quality. However, they're still made in China! There's no way in HELL I will pay $400 for Chinese (even if better-looking) junk!
As it so happens, I love prep and have been surrounded it during my life.

And I agree with you about Brooks Bros. Their suits and shoes are of Italian or European make, but their "casual" apparel is Malaysian or Chinese. I am aware that China will manufacture to the quality specified by their client, but knowing the fixed costs of cotton and labor, a pair of khakis/chinos should NOT cost $200 coming from East or Southeast Asia. I can buy Ralph Lauren/Canterbury of New Zealand/Faconnable on deep discount for $30-60 per piece. If I splurge, I will do it on a VERY RARE fashion house purchase (eg, Burberry) that I like.

A store can be overpriced at any level. I think Macy's is a rip off, personally. Their quality is no better than JC Penney and you'll spend twice as much. I vastly prefer Lord & Taylor with their weekly coupon/pass. I don't understand J Crew. Their quality is severely lacking and they feel like knockoff Ralph Lauren, but they cost as much. I guess they get away with it because most of their core market (under 30) doesn't know any better and it's cut for the younger crowd (IE slender).

Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Wow. I'm enjoying this thread. Not being that much of a clothes horse, at all -- AND not wanting to spend the money -- I shop at thrift stores, consignment shops, and Walmart for everyday clothes. Dress Barn and Macy's (Jones of New York) for business wear. I MIGHT buy accessories from Claire.

1) I don't dress up at all. I'm a bummy T-shift and jeans person.

2) I have too many clothes (SORT of a hoarder on clothes and shoes) -- but I FINALLY did get to the point of NOT buying anymore. It finally, even for me, got to the point of being ridiculous. I've got clothes EVERYwhere. Other than a 'treat excursion" to a thrift shop -- I haven't bought clothes in years.

That's the plus of having so many, I can go YEARS now and never buy again! I guess I've already bought everything I could ever need, or where.

Come on over to the FRUGAL LIVING thread..we NEVER pay even HALF of retail!

I finally got a friend of mine who always shopped at Ann Taylor -- hooked on TJ Maxx and Ross. She said she'd never heard of them. (Must be nice when you have money like that) She hasn't been back to The Loft since I still can't get her into a thrift shop though. She's still too busy buying Burburry and Dooney and Bourke handbags, and Gucci flip-flops. Oh well....progres is slow sometimes

Old 04-29-2012, 12:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

I finally got a friend of mine who always shopped at Ann Taylor -- hooked on TJ Maxx and Ross. She said she'd never heard of them. (Must be nice when you have money like that) She hasn't been back to The Loft since I still can't get her into a thrift shop though. She's still too busy buying Burburry and Dooney and Bourke handbags, and Gucci flip-flops. Oh well....progres is slow sometimes
Growing up we always went to Ross/TJ Maxx. And most of our furniture came from consignment (my mom is the queen bargain hunter, it wasn't really about the $$). My dad is the polar opposite of a bargain hunter.

But I find as I get older, I really just like to go in get my item and get out. I am not usually in the mood for Ross/TJ Maxx/etc. So I just wait for stuff to go on sale. Shop online for the edited collection of stuff....or go to stores with low prices...

Old 04-29-2012, 01:12 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Not always. The general quality in some stores (like the above-mentioned H & M) is appalling!
I think the quality is way better in (Northern) Europe. I bought three different t-shirts ($5 each) last year at a H&M store in Las Vegas. I had to throw away all of them after the first wash (105 °F /40 °C).

I have purchased several t-shirts ($8-9) from H&M in Norway and the quality has been quite good.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
I don't understand J Crew.
Me, neither. Nothing particularly appealing or unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I think the quality is way better in (Northern) Europe. I bought three different t-shirts ($5 each) last year at a H&M store in Las Vegas. I had to throw away all of them after the first wash (105 °F /40 °C).

I have purchased several t-shirts ($8-9) from H&M in Norway and the quality has been quite good.
I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe we're their "outlet" market.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
I don't understand J Crew. Their quality is severely lacking and they feel like knockoff Ralph Lauren, but they cost as much. I guess they get away with it because most of their core market (under 30) doesn't know any better and it's cut for the younger crowd (IE slender).

1. I agree w/ their (J Crew) quality, but Ralph Lauren quality is pretty poor, even in their "high" end lines.

2. The thing I do like about J Crew is that they do cater to slim people. It's so hard shopping as a slim or athletic build when every store/brand from Ralph Lauren to Banana Republic to DKNY is cut for fat people. Same for Express, who sells poor quality clothes, but thankfully make clothes cut for non-fat people.

I love Brooks Brother and they are also cut for a fatter consumer. It's only over the past decade that they've wised up and started offering 'extra slim fit' dress shirts and 'milano fit' pants. I wish more companies would do that...but since the majority of consumers are on the plump side, they gotta cater to them.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:23 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,433 times
ralph lauren quality is poor? compared to what..

Old 04-29-2012, 08:29 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
ralph lauren quality is poor? compared to what..
RL does not make poor quality clothes per say, it's just that they have different lines. Some are good, some are bad. Their high end stuff is good, everything else is not so much

I don't buy any RL products, but have a look through the following thread and learn about that "company" and it's many lines:

Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide

As a side note, I like styleforum, but I'm not the type to drop $400+ shoes, or $200 on a dress shirt, etc. However, there are some quite informed style gurus on there and it's a good source of info.

Last edited by tonym9428; 04-29-2012 at 08:39 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 08:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,433 times
^^ good thread.

styleforum is a funny site, i went on there to get info on suits, then saw their 'what did u wear today' thread and it was a bunch of weirdos wearing terrible outfits and everyone cosigning how wonderful every get up was lol.
but yea some useful info there though without a doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty